HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
Discussion
A123 Systems & Chevy Volt

Clipped from here: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ompany-Failing .

Lithium-ion battery manufacturer A123 Systems was awarded $249 million in federal government tax dollars but ended up laying off employees despite the government's cash infusion. The plant might have closed entirely if China hadn't invested an additional $465 million in the plant. Even still, its future is murky.

And:

Two years ago, President Obama visited the LG Chem battery plant in Holland, Michigan. He then hailed the plant, saying, "You are leading the way in showing how manufacturing jobs are coming right back here to the United States of America."
But today, those LG Chem jobs Obama claimed were "coming back" are seeing intermittent layoffs instead of growth.
In 2010, the plant, which supplies batteries for the Chevy Volt, received $151 million in tax money from the U.S. Department of Energy, but it has been good money after bad.

UGH:

Worse, Reuters has reported that Chevy loses nearly $50,000 on every Volt sold, so higher Volt sales may not even signal relief for the struggling car company.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Worse, Reuters has reported that Chevy loses nearly $50,000 on every Volt sold, so higher Volt sales may not even signal relief for the struggling car company.
I find that number a little hard to believe. Are they factoring in losses from the EV1 in the 90's or something?

Ultimately A123 Systems will eventually fail unless something drastically changes. No business model where the production cost is greater then the sales price can survive.

Love this quote from the EV1 article on Wikipedia:
Quote:
While customer reaction to the EV1 was positive, GM believed that electric cars occupied an unprofitable niche of the automobile market, and ending up crushing all their electric cars, regardless of protesting customers.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,525 Posts
In order to be accepted by the general public electric cars need to be competitively priced. It’s not like a hobby where some are willing to pay more for the latest technology. Automobiles are utility vehicles used for transportation and have to be economical to purchase and operate.

I was actually looking forward to trying an electric battery automobile but I won’t be willing to pay more for it.

Apparently GM also sees it that way. There is just not enough market to make it profitable so it’s best to concentrate on what sells and wait for the technology to improve. Maybe a safer LiPo is the way of the future.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,352 Posts
Until there's a decent break through in battery technology (or Mr. Fusion is invented) money spent on hybrids and EVs would be much better spent on clean diesel. Speaking of which why can't I get a diesel engine for my airplane?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,378 Posts
If you want a diesel for your plane, they been around for many, many decades. My second model engine for an RC plane in 1962 was a diesel imported from England, if memory serves me correctly. I also did a couple of Davis diesel conversions to a couple of my engines in the early 1970s.

Here's a supplier
http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:11 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Until there's a decent break through in battery technology (or Mr. Fusion is invented) money spent on hybrids and EVs would be much better spent on clean diesel. Speaking of which why can't I get a diesel engine for my airplane?

There are quite a few choices when it comes to Diesel. I use to fly a few of them before I converted to EP. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054975

Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Whenever you hear that the government is subsidizing an industry or offer tax incentives to buyers, the industry is doomed.
It means the product is not ready to be offered for sale because it is to expensive.
If the cost of the technology can't compete on it's own, forget it, it's doomed.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
I guess that's the end for the farm industry. Too bad. I really like eating.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...433916589.html
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,610 Posts
I guess that's the end of public transportation too. Just what we need, thousands of more cars on the roads of our already crowded major cities. Oh wait, the auto industry is doomed too. I guess we'll all be stuck at home and hungry.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,361 Posts
"No business model where the production cost is greater then the sales price can survive."

Unless like Government Motors, you are using tax dollars, not your own:-(((((((((((((((

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
"No business model where the production cost is greater then the sales price can survive."

Unless like Government Motors, you are using tax dollars, not your own:-(((((((((((((((

Les
Or the US Post Office LOL!

Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Whenever you hear that the government is subsidizing an industry or offer tax incentives to buyers, the industry is doomed.
It means the product is not ready to be offered for sale because it is to expensive.
If the cost of the technology can't compete on it's own, forget it, it's doomed.
Well but not necessarily. Maybe an incentive is partly just to encourage adoption of better alternatives, not just because they're too expensive. I see this as being the case with electric vehicles. In that case, I view incentives as an extreme measure. They understand that something needs to be done--and right away--about the ridiculous gasoline-burning paradigm and all the filthy, out-of-control mess that industry creates. I mean come on. Thick smog clouds surrounding entire cities? We don't realize how utterly moronic that is, since we're used to it I guess...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
Next we'll hear about global warming !

Amazing the Canadian economy is doing better than the US; like ND it's oil!

A lot more than vehicles would be affected if all the taps were turned off.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Yeah that crazy climate-change talk. The stuff all the smart people say is real (i.e. scientists), and all the dumb ones or those with an agenda, deny. Who shall we trust? But that's a whole other debate! (I'm not calling anyone dumb by the way, it's for illustrative purposes only). There are plenty of reasons other than that to end massive oil use-- which must happen eventually anyway. And there are plenty of other ways to grow an economy other than oil absurdity.
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

Who shall we trust?
The growing list of Scientist who are deniers too!

I only fly E; would love to have an E car (not Hyb) -- with minimum range of 120miles, AC, heat in MN's winter (w/o affecting range!), room for my 1/4 Cub and a few other planes, and @ a fare price!