Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:41 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy View Post
Has anyone found a way to attach external LEDs to the AIOP arm and GPS lock indicators so they can be placed at another location on the quad?
Ok got mine working tonight GPS led on A4 and arm LED on A3 cant get buzzer to work just yet.
Basically followed the details on link above, also same guy posted in this thread back on post 5309 page 354 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77726&page=354 which has a bit more detail, some differences on my megapirate version (as expected) but working good.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:34 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Buzzer now working on pin 46 via the ULN2803 darlington array, good add on, makes arming much easier as you hold stick until beeps
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Hey, I have a problem with my CRIUS AIO, I tried flashing Megapirate 3.1.5 and it worked, but now I cant connect to the board...
Mission Planner says Timeout, Arduino Software says "avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer".
I'm not even able to flash some eeprom clear with the arduino software...

On the board there are glowing 2 red LEDs, nothing blinking, just these 2 red LEDs which are glowing all the time...

What can I do for being able to flash something on the board?
Buzzerbee is offline Find More Posts by Buzzerbee
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:02 PM
Estonia, Harju County, Tallinn
Joined May 2013
7 Posts
Started having inflight crashes with Crius and Megapirateng (first 3.0.1R4, now tried 3.1beta, still the same). It just falls out of the sky mid-flight.

The tlog is attached - it happens at 20:40:25 or so. The log replay shouts bad compass health - can anyone look at the log and say, is there anything else that might be at fault?

Strangely have not made any changes to the drone and have hundreds of successful flights with the same configuration. Now one day it fell down 3 times after each few minutes

Then again, had a long session yesterday with no problems. Today, again almost immediately when I went out.

Any ideas? Unfortunately can't get datalogs working on my Crius (it should be ver 2.0 but does not work with datalog support).
yhuubert is offline Find More Posts by yhuubert
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:40 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,462 Posts
I never fully got MegaPirate

APM should be used on APM boards ... MultiWii should be used on the rest

APM is already a complex firmware ... port it to slightly less powerful board is a risky operation

I read report of people stating that also APM does crash without any reason ... a APM developer stated that not accurate GPS speed (due to weak satellite signal or other reason) ... can also cause the copter to crash on APM
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:59 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I never fully got MegaPirate

APM should be used on APM boards ... MultiWii should be used on the rest

APM is already a complex firmware ... port it to slightly less powerful board is a risky operation

I read report of people stating that also APM does crash without any reason ... a APM developer stated that not accurate GPS speed (due to weak satellite signal or other reason) ... can also cause the copter to crash on APM
Most of the time when it just falls out of the sky it is either a power issue or a rx cutting out issue.

ArduCopter [and the MPNG port] running on these boards is pretty much the same as running on an APM as they both have the exact same processor and most of the sensors.

But I agree it is best to run AC on an APM/Pixhawk
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:55 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Which crius version
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:40 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
Most of the time when it just falls out of the sky it is either a power issue or a rx cutting out issue.

ArduCopter [and the MPNG port] running on these boards is pretty much the same as running on an APM as they both have the exact same processor and most of the sensors.

But I agree it is best to run AC on an APM/Pixhawk
APM has an additional 32u chip ... that does the RX reading ... plus use spi for communicate with gyro/acc&mag ... so MPNG board need to do same with less optimized HW ... APM on 8bit is on the edge of the 8bit capacity

APM clone boards now cost so little that make no sense to use MPNG anymore

MultiWii 2.3 got navigation now ... it may not have all the feature of MPNG, but can do almost everything that MPNG can do, plus it is more reliable in my personal book

About APM/Pix ... I'm still very skeptical ... a professional aerial video guy, swear that APM can crash anytime ... he is using Harakiri with outstanding result and he never had any failure with it ... the GeekShow guy ... report that his airplane with APM-Pix was creshing without any reason while was flying in mission ... plus I did really read from APM developer that a wrong GPS sensed speed can cause to crash ... that is totally a bad design in my book ... GPS wrong data could cause fly away or bad GPS holding ... but avoid to crash should be based on the simple auto level function and altitude hold, so based on gyro/acc and baro only ... nothing to do with gps and mag that both could have error on it

Anyhow .. possibly I'm over critic on APM ... but I'm quite sure APM is on the edge, and is better to stay on the latest build .. so MPNG does not sound a good approach.

Also the MPNG 'owner' has is own control board and own firmware now ... I guess he does put his best on this solution now
Old Aug 19, 2014, 02:54 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhuubert View Post
Started having inflight crashes with Crius and Megapirateng (first 3.0.1R4, now tried 3.1beta, still the same). It just falls out of the sky mid-flight.

The tlog is attached - it happens at 20:40:25 or so. The log replay shouts bad compass health - can anyone look at the log and say, is there anything else that might be at fault?

Strangely have not made any changes to the drone and have hundreds of successful flights with the same configuration. Now one day it fell down 3 times after each few minutes

Then again, had a long session yesterday with no problems. Today, again almost immediately when I went out.

Any ideas? Unfortunately can't get datalogs working on my Crius (it should be ver 2.0 but does not work with datalog support).
It does look to me that at ~ 20:40:26 ... you got a board reset ... you can see from the
Log lines:

16/08/2014 19:40:25 FE 1C 97 1 1 1E mavlink_attitude_t time_boot_ms 259021 roll 0.03755429 pitch 0.04822386 yaw 1.490492 rollspeed -0.04561517 pitchspeed 1.192836 yawspeed 0.2843994 Len 36

Next line with time is:

16/08/2014 19:40:52 FE 1C 2B 1 1 21 mavlink_global_position_int_t time_boot_ms 25518 lat 593499427 lon 246196229 alt 35830 relative_alt 35080 vx 26 vy -4 vz -22 hdg 26781 Len 36

At 19:40:52 it report that the board was up since 25sec and 518mSec
At 19:40:25 the board was up for 259sec and 021mSec

So at 19:40:26 your board got a power cycle apparently .. or it just reset on its own.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:18 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Ok so from what version of apm clones is as good as the crius boards
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:36 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Ok so from what version of apm clones is as good as the crius boards
I like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM-APM2-5-2...-/251596289525

And I have a similar one.

Just 40$ shipped.

or mini size
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniAPM-V3-1...-/281397370266

For 8$ more

The AOP Pro V2 .. it is only 3$ cheaper then basic APM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRIUS-MultiW...-/281393526241
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:43 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
APM has an additional 32u chip ... that does the RX reading ... plus use spi for communicate with gyro/acc&mag ... so MPNG board need to do same with less optimized HW ... APM on 8bit is on the edge of the 8bit capacity
the 32u2 chip on the apm is only does 3 things,
USB-Serial for programming APM
PPM encoder (bypassed if using ppm)
controlling serial mux and changing from 115200 when usb is connected to whatever telemetry is set to

so as long your using ppm and dont enable extra serial ports there is very little extra load on the MPNG boards.

i know this because my 32u2 fried and i fly with it totally bypassed.
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:57 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post
the 32u2 chip on the apm is only does 3 things,
USB-Serial for programming APM
PPM encoder (bypassed if using ppm)
controlling serial mux and changing from 115200 when usb is connected to whatever telemetry is set to

so as long your using ppm and dont enable extra serial ports there is very little extra load on the MPNG boards.

i know this because my 32u2 fried and i fly with it totally bypassed.
Right ... still SPI vs i2c ... does remove some CPU load too ...

Anyhow ... so much more easy to use APM clone, getting full direct support ... that really in these days I can't see the reason of MPNG to be used ... unless for people that have some old ATmega2560 boards.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:13 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Right ... still SPI vs i2c ... does remove some CPU load too ...

Anyhow ... so much more easy to use APM clone, getting full direct support ... that really in these days I can't see the reason of MPNG to be used ... unless for people that have some old ATmega2560 boards.
yea i agree. its cheaper to get a properly compatible apm clone for 27 from ebay than it is to get a mpng board from hobbyking.

and mpng is a joke compared to stock apm firmware. nothing works without major messing around. they just made a flash tool for it that simplifies it but mission planner is still a nightmare to use since nothing works with MPNG almost all settings have to be manually edited.

and on mpng when i enabled gimble control it was nearly falling out the sky so there definite performance issues.
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Last edited by geofrancis; Aug 19, 2014 at 06:25 AM.