Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Discussion
Graupner Comet info

Guys,

I always wanted a Graupner Comet when HL first introduced them but couldn't afford it at the time. Naturally regretted that and have been looking for one ever since.

As luck would have it I found one NIB with the 480-sized fans and motors at the Lebanon swap meet this weekend - sweet!!!

Unfortunately when I got the kit home and went through the contents in detail I found that all the balsa parts are missing, the biggest issue being the stab and elevator. Naturally I can build a new one from flat stock, but some dimensions would be helpful.

So, if one of you guys still has a Comet in their hangar, could you please let me know what the stab's width and depth is? If you could also include the elevator measurements as well I'd greatly appreciate it!

Rob
stangrob is online now Find More Posts by stangrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:04 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
151 Posts
Are you still looking for this information?
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:27 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Yes, yes I am. If you happen to have access to a Comet I'd greatly appreciate this info!

Thanks,

Rob
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:33 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
151 Posts
I have a completely intact Comet, so I can photograph the stab with a ruler. It has very few flights on it, because I was never comfortable launching it myself, and the flights with Nicads were too short. I need to change it over to LiPos. It should launch itself off wet grass or snow!

Steve
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:41 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Hi Steve,

That would be great

I'm hoping with LiPoly batteries and some brushless motors she'll be a little easier to launch than with the older brushed/NiCad setups. I'll definitely get a helper to launch her for me the first few times though

Thanks again!

Rob
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:59 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
151 Posts
I was actually very happy with the flight performance of the S480 fans. The only issue for me was flight TIME. Not hard to launch, just a little awkward; I have small hands, and the fuselage is bulky. I have been told that the fans are not particularly efficient, and there are probably better ones.. but I have no testing to confirm that.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 01:07 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
I've done some homework in regards to fan alternatives but haven't settled yet on the final path. I guess I feel as if I'd be doing the airplane a disservice if I built it with the original 480 setup since there is so much new tech available now. I'm not looking for a rocketship necessarily but a fun airplane that sounds great and can out-run your average prop-driven plane

Rob
Old Aug 01, 2014, 01:31 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,160 Posts
Look into the WeMoTec Minifan EVO EDF

http://effluxrc.com/WeMoTec-Minifan-...pEVO70-317.htm

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...i-fan-evo.html
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 01, 2014, 02:43 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Hmmm... looks like an interesting option. Honestly, I'm new to jets so I do appreciate the feedback - thanks

Rob
Old Aug 01, 2014, 02:57 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,160 Posts
Get a hold of Gary at efflux RC, and he can set you up with the right Het motor combo-

http://www.effluxrc.com/36mm-Diameter_c43.htm

A good man to deal with.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 01, 2014, 03:14 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
498 Posts
Graupner Comet fans

I have flown two of these fans with two brushless motors a long time ago on my Multiplex Twinjet.
I used the twinjet drive set from Kontronik (two fun400-23 iinrunners on one 40A esc) on 12 NiCads (Sanyo RC2400).
6Min. flight time! All up weight 1500gr.
It would do a 800ft loop from level flight,

Grts. René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Last edited by E-speed buff; Aug 01, 2014 at 03:35 PM.