HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I don't know if the time you measured sounds reasonable or not. But just eyeballing it, the approximate 2/3 reduction in recording time is not surprising to me.
agreed...see my edit in the same post:

(EDIT: after reviewing run times of the "external battery" post here, my expectations were ill-founded. If 4xAA alkalines yield 4hours, then 2AA lithiums yielding 3+ hours is a huge success)
ezeeetm is offline Find More Posts by ezeeetm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
AVI FW v0.49 now available

I have just posted the .AVI version of the latest FW for download in post #3. I have NOT tested this FW in order to make it available quickly, but based on past compiling, I'd expect it to perform exactly like the MOV version except for the output format.

If any problems are found, please PM me with details so I can check it out.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A View Post
Download the program called Nr16Setup from here

http://www.mytempfiles.info/nr16/Nr16Setup.zip

Unzip the Nr16Setup.zip
Start the Nr16Setup.exe

Connect your cable to your USB in your computer
Connect your camera to the micro usb
Hold down the power button untill the LED is yellow (then it automatically switch to red light when connected)

Then you should be able to see a letter , for me its

G: Capacity = 14,82 gb

Press that text

Then you can choose "set date/time" and everything.
You can even update the firmware inside the tool button

Good luck

Edit:

ezeeetm beat me to it :P
ulrik thanks for your help am in need of it at the moment,got to where i had to be using the instructions but came to a block ,it sead my camera needed updating gave me two options first one VO.49 MOV LOCAL second VO.49 AVI ONLINE what one do i need ?
grandy is offline Find More Posts by grandy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
duplicate
Last edited by ezeeetm; Oct 16, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
ulrik thanks for your help am in need of it at the moment,got to where i had to be using the instructions but came to a block ,it sead my camera needed updating gave me two options first one VO.49 MOV LOCAL second CO.49 AVI ONLINE what one do i need ?
if all you want to do is update the time, after you've followed Ulriks instructions, then just tick the circle for "Set Date/Time" to "Yes", and write data to camera button, and then click through the process.

There is no need to update your firmware unless you want to add the new functions of the camera. Updating the firmware will change the way your camera operates a little...so if you are used to it working a certain way, the firmware update may change that. (however, if you are showing v0.49 mov local, then you may have already updated at some point? The v0.49 avi firmware just got posted a few minutes ago, so it makes sense that you'd see that one as "online" instead of "local")
Last edited by ezeeetm; Oct 16, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm View Post
if all you want to do is update the time, after you've followed Ulriks instructions, then just tick the circle for "Set Date/Time" to "Yes", and write data to camera button, and then click through the process.

There is no need to update your firmware unless you want to add the new functions of the camera. Updating the firmware will change the way your camera operates a little...so if you are used to it working a certain way, the firmware update may change that. (however, if you are showing v0.49 local, then you may have already updated?)
thanks for your quick reply i have now got it ,will be posting again soon and thank you for your help, GARY.
grandy is offline Find More Posts by grandy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
power supply, time lapse

I bought the 1200 mAh USB power supply from eletoponline and tested it. It made 11,5 GB video, more than 3,5 hours.

Made a test with timelapse photo mode while riding my Guzzi, interval 1 s. It took 90 min, 5600 jpgs, 1,7 GB. Look at the video. For motorcycling it would be better to have intervals of 0,2 + 0,5 seconds.

Many thanks to all for your work! New firmware + GUI work fine!

guzzino timelapse.avi (0 min 51 sec)
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sweden, Malmö
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
I bought the 1200 mAh USB power supply from eletoponline and tested it. It made 11,5 GB video, more than 3,5 hours.

Made a test with timelapse photo mode while riding my Guzzi, interval 1 s. It took 90 min, 5600 jpgs, 1,7 GB. Look at the video. For motorcycling it would be better to have intervals of 0,2 + 0,5 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwhO...ature=youtu.be
Cool, i have 2 of them on order
Can hardly wait

How did you fit the camera to the helmet ?

Thanks
Ulrik_A is offline Find More Posts by Ulrik_A
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:

I agree that a couple of slower options would make better timelapse video, but I do not think it's possible with this photo mode. There were some issues even with the 1S delay. Though I'm guessing, I think it has to do with the photo mode preparation sequence before capturing an image, e.g. starting from scratch every time to set proper exposure for the scene, etc. It takes a finite amount of time to do that, and with the shorter delays, there's not enough time.

In video mode, the images are coming in fast at 30 fps, and the exposure for one frame is retained for the next, or if it's changing, it can take close to a second some times to fully adjust as we can see when the video plays back.

For your case, you could lower the frame rate to slow down the playback, but the motion will appear less smooth, of course. Alternatively, a work-around is to just shoot normal video and post-process it with an editor to speed it up. E.g. WLMM can selectively speed up action by user-selected multiples up to 64x. The speed up is done by decimating (deleting) frames while still playing back the saved frames at 30 fps. At 64x, the movie speed up is approximately the same as a 2S delay between photos and making that into a movie at 30 fps. The latter method can be done with WLMM as well (including reversing the movie), but the freeware PhotoLapse program that was mentioned recently can do all that easier, with different compression codecs (like h.264) as well.

It would be fantastic if the #16 camera could natively record a decimated video stream and output a time-lapse video directly!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm View Post
... time lapse vid
...I used this software (free, and so easy) http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/photolapsedlc.html
I gave this Timelapse tool a test drive. It's fast, easy to use, and offers reverse movie option with user-selectable video codecs or native (uncompressed) frames.

I did find a few things that could use improving:

1. The video display only has a 4:3 aspect ratio frame, so a 16:9 HD image is horizontally compress in the preview window.

2. When the output is compressed, it adapts the video frame to the native size (1280x720 in the case of the #16 camera) and works well. But if the "uncompressed" output option is used, the frames are output to a 1280x720 frame (using x.264 codec configuration), but the images are staggered showing portions of several frames in just one frame, and colors are way off.

3. If a frame rate that is out of bounds is entered, the program correctly traps the error and aborts the action with an error message, but does not recover... it just locks up.

Other than that, it works well. I found the web site of the author and will give this feedback. It's an old program (2006) so might not be supported anymore.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: website of author found.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A View Post
Cool, i have 2 of them on order
Can hardly wait

How did you fit the camera to the helmet ?

Thanks
It is fit to the handlebar of the bike. I put the cam in a tictac housing.
Later I make photos of it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post

For your case, you could lower the frame rate to slow down the playback, but the motion will appear less smooth, of course.

The video you see is at 20 fps. A slower rate is bad.

Alternatively, a work-around is to just shoot normal video and post-process it with an editor to speed it up. E.g. WLMM can selectively speed up action by user-selected multiples up to 64x. The speed up is done by decimating (deleting) frames while still playing back the saved frames at 30 fps. At 64x, the movie speed up is approximately the same as a 2S delay between photos and making that into a movie at 30 fps. The latter method can be done with WLMM as well (including reversing the movie), but the freeware PhotoLapse program that was mentioned recently can do all that easier, with different compression codecs (like h.264) as well.

I will try PhotoLapse. Is it posssible with VirtualDub too?

It would be fantastic if the #16 camera could natively record a decimated video stream and output a time-lapse video directly!

THIS would be NICE!
See comments
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
See comments
Yes, Vdub can also do it (except for easily reversing the sequence). A post was made just a few days ago showing how to do it... use the "search this thread" tab with some appropriate key words to quickly find it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

Falconender.

The 0.5 is doable and i passed along to the people in charge the other day. They commented why would you want 0.5? And they said this will be tested out. As Tom mentioned early on about time lapse.....

0.25 be interesting to see and if available on today's cameras?

Imagine the fun one can have with full video and time lapse in 0.25 and 0.5

Glad you are interested in this thanks

Fishycomics
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Falconender.

The 0.5 is doable and i passed along to the people in charge the other day. They commented why would you want 0.5? And they said this will be tested out. As Tom mentioned early on about time lapse.....

0.25 be interesting to see and if available on today's cameras?

Imagine the fun one can have with full video and time lapse in 0.25 and 0.5

Glad you are interested in this thanks

Fishycomics
I don't know which "people in charge" told you the 0.5 time lapse is doable, but like Tom has mentioned, we had issues with the 1 second time-lapse not working properly in the pre-release versions because of the time it takes to save a single image to the card.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think you should be spreading rumors from undisclosed sources.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop