HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Roswalt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 01, 2011, 06:42 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Trader Rating: 94
Found
Have DX8, want Futaba 8FG, Hitec Aurora 9 or better

Considering making the big jump from Spektrum's DSM2 to a different system. I'm aiming for either a 7C or 8FG Futaba set, or possibly an Aurora 9 system. My biggest concern right now is receiver cost, so if you have something in that league or better and preferably with a few receivers please let me know.

I'm a longtime Spektrum guy and have owned the DX5, DX6i, and now a DX8 with about 9 different receivers - several 6100-series, a 7100 and an 8000. I don't really buy any BNF's anymore and I'm into larger products so I'd like to get something with a bit stronger track record.

Not really interested in trading the DX8 due to difficulty of online trading, but I'll probably sell it soon so let me know if you're interested. Provided I can source a good replacement set that offers similar features I will offer it at a very competitive price. Thanks!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 06:53 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Trader Rating: 54
A9 for sure......

You can get receiver bundles for that system too.
http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=2783

$111 for 3 6ch receivers.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 06:58 PM
USA, IA, Radcliffe
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
Dx8 $?
Warby is offline Find More Posts by Warby
Old May 01, 2011, 07:27 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Thanks for the links - Looks like some good deals are out there. Anybody know where to score the best deal on an Aurora 9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby View Post
Dx8 $?
This question can't be answered until I figure out what it's going to cost in order to set up a new system. Stay tuned or submit an offer and I'll definitely consider it.
Old May 01, 2011, 08:14 PM
USA, IA, Radcliffe
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
[QUOTE=Roswalt;18121096]Thanks for the links - Looks like some good deals are out there. Anybody know where to score the best deal on an Aurora 9?

Watch the Hobby People web site. They have them for $369, but
have had them on sale for $329
Old May 01, 2011, 08:43 PM
Goodyear, AZ.
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
I did the same thing. Came from a spektrum system then jump to Futaba. Very happy with Futaba rock solid stability. Went with 8FG then a few months later 12FG then a few months later 8FG software upgrade to 12 channel (very cool from futaba) ended up with 2 radio's. If I could have 1 radio only, I would choose the 8FG for value. Almost has all the features of the 12 channel and very few things complicated it cant do (but still possible if they release a new software update.) One of it Im waiting for is channel delay. The 8FG got it in 1 channel while the 12FG has it in all all channels. (helpful to slow down your gear or flaps if using servos) Theres a few other things the 12FG can do but going complicated features Im not using anyway and will not justify the cost of it.

Receivers are a little pricey but since the jump have ZERO problems. I also tried the Orange rx in a slow stick - works but still scared to put it in more valuable models.

Just sharing my experience to aid in making your decision.
Cant speak for the A9 since I dont have one. Im sure those guys will also have their own bag of tricks.

As for me, Im sold.... Futaba all the way.
lw777pilot is offline Find More Posts by lw777pilot
Old May 01, 2011, 09:29 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Appreciate all that info - I thought I had seen some good prices in the past on Aurora 9's @ HP.

After doing a little more research I prefer the Futaba for availability and price of Receivers (Particularly HK's knock-offs) but the Aurora 9 seems like a better system overall. I just can't get over how pricey those Hitec receivers are going to be across a fleet conversion for me (roughly 6 units will be needed, although only one needs 7 or better right now)

I've had all kinds of Radio malfunctions since I started using Spektrum DSM2 and while their brand strength and support is tremendous I'd love to see those radio worries become a thing of the past.
Old May 01, 2011, 09:39 PM
USA, IA, Radcliffe
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
(Quote Roswalt) I've had all kinds of Radio malfunctions since I started using Spektrum DSM2 and while their brand strength and support is tremendous I'd love to see those radio worries become a thing of the past.[/QUOTE]

What kinds of malfunctions have you had with DSM2?
I have had Spektrum since the DX6i came out. The only
problem I have encountered is "dumb thumbs"
Old May 02, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
It's 30.00 + sh for the knock off Futaba rx.

The offer ended the 30th but is still on Hitec's website for a free 2nd rx and half price 3rd. They run this offer often. The new bundles put the rx's as low as 35 a piece from tower after coupons.

The best feature of the Aurora 9 is the built in Battery voltage telemetry in all optima rx's.

I'm jealous of the cheap cheap specktrum rx's but if I added telemetry to any of them they are all more expensive then a genuine Hitec RX
k5beason is offline Find More Posts by k5beason
Old May 02, 2011, 09:35 AM
United States, NC, Robbins
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
Trader Rating: 91
ALL E RC had great deal on the A9 not sure if its still going
deerfreak is offline Find More Posts by deerfreak
Old May 02, 2011, 10:54 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby View Post
(Quote Roswalt) I've had all kinds of Radio malfunctions since I started using Spektrum DSM2 and while their brand strength and support is tremendous I'd love to see those radio worries become a thing of the past.
What kinds of malfunctions have you had with DSM2?
I have had Spektrum since the DX6i came out. The only
problem I have encountered is "dumb thumbs"[/QUOTE]

I've spontaneously lost contact with models several times now; sometimes I have time to save it and several times I've ridden it to the ground - Granted this is over the course of three years, but it has happened with different levels of Spektrum radios and receivers, so it isn't isolated to the DX8, DX6i, or even the clone receivers on the market. It's just something about DSM2 that has happened to me enough to be a concern now.

Signal loss doesn't happen every flight, week, or even month, but it does happen and I'm not the only one it's happened to. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it, but I've lost an A-10 right after takeoff to a brown-out of some kind, and an FMS Corsair on final that just dropped out of the sky for no apparent reason - All components tested good before and after the flights, with nearly full batteries. Things like that make me reluctant to put a lot of effort into a model... The DX8 teamed with an AR8000 receiver may be the answer, but I haven't flown that combination enough to be sure.

Like I said, it's random and definitely not a regular occurence, but signal seems easier to lose on DSM2 than any other 2.4ghz transmission. I'd just like to remove that concern from my thought process and an Aurora 9 or Futaba set sounds like the answer, if financially feasible.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:02 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Trader Rating: 54
Hitec is not immune to brown out - in fact no system is. With 2.4GHz you MUST fix power options to your RX/Servos.

Hitec in fact is likely worst in that regard thus the Supp. Power Connector in their RX.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Perhaps brown out was the wrong word to use there - That was my first experience with the "random crash" and I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty if that's actually what it was. I just know that everything checked good, on a 4 channel plane with a great BEC - It just lost signal and went down. I salvaged everything in the wreck and it flew again for many months without issue.
Old May 02, 2011, 12:29 PM
Goodyear, AZ.
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
No beef against Hitec people, just providing my personal info. With regards to telemetry, for some users its good to have the features (and maybe they use it) but I find myself impossible at looking at the tx while flying the model. (so the features are good but not always useful) when the model is on the ground I use other tools to measure what needed to be measured. Maybe the owners of Telemtry system can chime-in on this as to what their experience in actually using it while flying.

Maybe the technology is not ripe or until they produce something that talks to you while flying (a buzzer, a timer, a warning that a certain parameter has been reached)
I dont own one so I have little or no knowledge. Telemetry owners your inputs are welcome.
lw777pilot is offline Find More Posts by lw777pilot
Old May 02, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
167 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
With the Aurora 9 you can set custom low voltage warnings, and then alerts you with beeps when you reach that threshold.

Hitec is soon releasing an add on module that will talk to you and speak the information to you.

While measuring watts, amps, and voltage on the ground is useful it often does not reflect what is experienced in flight.

I find it nice to be able to fly till the low voltage threshold rather then use crude estimations each time.

I've gone completely to electric, if I was flying nitro I'd find telemetry less useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw777pilot View Post
No beef against Hitec people, just providing my personal info. With regards to telemetry, for some users its good to have the features (and maybe they use it) but I find myself impossible at looking at the tx while flying the model. (so the features are good but not always useful) when the model is on the ground I use other tools to measure what needed to be measured. Maybe the owners of Telemtry system can chime-in on this as to what their experience in actually using it while flying.

Maybe the technology is not ripe or until they produce something that talks to you while flying (a buzzer, a timer, a warning that a certain parameter has been reached)
I dont own one so I have little or no knowledge. Telemetry owners your inputs are welcome.
k5beason is offline Find More Posts by k5beason
Closed Thread