HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,776 Posts
looking great lee! cant wait to get the goods!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
Looks good Lee and I know it will work fine

I think the speed will be underwhelming though. You know the old saying "no substitue for Cubic Inches". If you're going to have 5000 watts it may as well be with a Larger 127mm fan for a plane this size. I think it will be a good option for a smaller plane like CN's Sabre
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,776 Posts
way too big for sabre. perfect for A-4 though....its about time i finish the damn thing!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:06 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Looks good Lee and I know it will work fine

I think the speed will be underwhelming though. You know the old saying "no substitue for Cubic Inches". If you're going to have 5000 watts it may as well be with a Larger 127mm fan for a plane this size. I think it will be a good option for a smaller plane like CN's Sabre
We`ve been talking about two sizes, the 4.5" and the 4". I`m putting the 4.5" on the Falcon. 13lbs of thrust and 200+ mph efflux should go OK. It won`t be as fast as the twin 90mm power, but it will be way easier to land. Mainly using the airframe for a testbed to see what this combo will do in the real world.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
You know I'm a fan Lee! Watching with great interest
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,942 Posts
Sure bro. Just wanted to make sure that you knew it's a 4.5" that's going on the Falcon

I flew my first and second with a TJ-100,and they flew OK, but were lacking the raw thrust that I wanted. This will weigh less than #1 but will have at least 3 more pounds of thrust. I'm thinking it should do around 150, with plenty of stump pulling ability. It will also be able to carry much more lipo weight if I want longer flight times.

Report and vid by Sunday.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi All,

Just thourght you would like to see this pic posted originally on this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1197997&page=8
I had been using a scorpion 4035-800 on 10 cells but swapped to the turnigy motor after a little 'error'. This 'cheap' motor is blowing my socks of with the quality per $ compared to the scorpion.
I have only tried it on 10 cells so far in the 4.5" Haoye with a cut down turbax rotor and was getting approx' 10.8lbs static thrust for approx 70A more testing will need to be done to confirm the numbers, but first a test flight needs to be carried out first
Oh by the way the airframe is a bobcat 50!

I feel even though I got the fan down low its going to be a bit pitch sensitive and may need the thrust tube extending to protrude under the stab.
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
Nice mounts!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:00 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,942 Posts
Flight Report

Sorry I didn't get video today. I know we all like to see it, my bad, the report is good.

The system pulls a lot of amps so I kept the flights to a 3 min timer, one gear pass and land. This was about right for 5000 mah cells. I have some 3200 cells and 3500s that I can configure into a 10s2p 6400 and a 7000 pack. For longer flights.

The main question was the motor. It performed extremely well. Very smooth. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and check the windings.

The speed wasn't too impressive as Bob predicted, the Haoye rotor just doesn't produce the efflux speed needed. I'd say it was doing 120 or so when wound up. But it sounded great and had good thrust.

Blows me away that a $60 fan/motor combo can fly this plane with such authority. Got to go to a party. More later.

The electric boys were very impresses with it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Oct 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:38 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,776 Posts
thats good news! id be willing to bet it does 140 on te turbax rotor..
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:57 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
thats good news! id be willing to bet it does 140 on te turbax rotor..
I'll bet you're right. Also the Turbax will work on 12s so amps will be less at the same power. It will be the ticket.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:11 PM
Germany, Koblenz
Joined Sep 2006
79 Posts
Yeah sounds good...can make a picture of the windings when you look at it tomorrow?
Sad that there are now lower kv motors at the moment...thinking they will come.

René
RW-Jets is offline Find More Posts by RW-Jets
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:14 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Motor tube

Well, my motor arrived Friday and sure enough it is a bit big for the motor tube in the 4" Hayoe. I started to remove some material and soon realized that a new motor tube might be easier for me. I have been busy with home stuff all weekend so this was a quick and easy diversion.

Looking through the junk I collect, I found a thick cardboard mailing tube and I decided to work with it. Using a 2 1/8 hole saw and 1/4 thick ply this will be the motor mount.

Using a razor saw I removed the existing motor tube from the fan shroud. The cardboard was wrapped with a layer of 3oz glass cloth and should have been coated with epoxy, since this is a test piece I used thin CA. After a narrow width of carbon fiber was glued inside, the ply wood mount is inserted into the tube end. This made the fit perfect! When completed it will be attached to the stators with Hysol epoxy.

After the glue sets I will cut the cooling and mounting holes. I have about a 1/32" clearence on the motor, which should be enough.

Then I will see what the numbers look like on 12S! (behind a protective barrier of course)
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Oct 31, 2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: bit bit and 1/16 changed to 1/32
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Well, my motor arrived Friday and sure enough it is a bit bit for the motor tube in the 4" Hayoe. :
This will be good, Kevin. We can compare numbers vs. my Neu 1521 & Neu1515 on 12s (Turnigy Nanotech 25c/50c 2x5000;s). You kow the old argument, which is more efficient, smaller diam inrunner or larger diam outrunner?

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
I'm sure the Neu will win. But for the price, I am willing to play with it Thanks Lee!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox