HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
Build Log
RC RoRo/Pax ferry "Athara" in 1/87 scale

Hi to all!

I'm re-building the RC model of the RoRo/Pax ferry "M/S Athara" of the Italian State Navigation Company "Tirrenia".

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/athara_2003.htm

Re-building because the first attempt was going wrong because I've made the (very) big error to cut the frames separated left side to right side, and not in one only peice, then the assembling was very difficoult and the result was't good. It's my first model. (see the following images)

Now I'm re-drawing keel, frames, and other particoulars with CAD program on PC, then I'll cut all with laser (my friend has got that machine at work). It's a very long work, but of extremely precision!

Ok, now I (try to) describe to you what I mean to do on that model. I would like to make the most part really working. That means that "her" will has got (over the classical function like motors and rudders) a really working stabilizers, bow thrusters, ancors, lights, mooring wires and the two stern ramps. I would like to build the most part of the main car deck in order to have really working roll-on and roll-off veichles of the famous Faller Car System.
The two prop motors and anchors will be controlled separately left and right.

Dimensions:
2,5 meters long, 30cm wide, and approximately 8,5cm of immersion

Regards.

Roberto.
Roberto To is offline Find More Posts by Roberto To
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2009, 01:49 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
311 Posts
I do have one question - Will you be able to service/replace that bow thruster when the ship is completed ?

It looks great.

Ken
mrbassman is offline Find More Posts by mrbassman
Old May 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
Yes, the "model" shown in the photos is only the old protptype...

the new one will be completely different... I will can reach for maintenance or replacement of all mechanical/electric device installed on board! and some of they (Bow thruster for example) will be modified in their shape to allow what i've wrote before..

O.T. mrbassman: do you play bass giutar? usually bass player puts the word "bass" in their nicknames /O.T.
Last edited by Roberto To; May 11, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Hey Roberto;
That's a very nice looking build you have going there. You will find that the one piece frames will work a lot better. Is there anyway you can build the basic hull upside-down? That's the best way to get all the frames in place and square with the keel. Keep the pictures coming as this is an interesting build. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old May 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Nice thing about working in that scale is its model train scale, so if you wanted to put figures and stuff onboard, theres a huge variety of them on the market. This looks to be a really exciting project. Good lucK!
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
Old May 11, 2009, 03:08 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Is there anyway you can build the basic hull upside-down?
I'll build the hull separated from the superstructure... If I understood correctly your message...

for example like this... the modeller has built the hull separated from the superstructures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcpgiQ50mWM

RC Cruise Ship Part 2 (2 min 43 sec)
Old May 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
489 Posts
Hi there.
Nice to she the photos on here. This is one build I am looking froward to as you are using new technology like CAD and laser cutter some thing I am thinking of on my next build. She is a fair size at 2.5m long. One question when she is built how do you in tend to move her. I struggle with my ferry at 1.6m long

John
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old May 11, 2009, 03:22 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos918
One question when she is built how do you in tend to move her.
don't worry he will has got a woodbox to fix on the "roof" of my car... I've got a staionwagon... I've seen Titanic in 1:100 transportated on the roof of a car...
Old May 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
489 Posts
I must admit on my next build Finnjet at 1:100 2.14m long transport was going to be an issue. I had been thinking of a good strong wooden box for the roof of the car.

John
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old May 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
or a trailer to link to the car... but the wooden box for the roof of the car I think that it is the best solution...
Old May 11, 2009, 04:54 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,363 Posts
How did you cut out the windows in the balsa?

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Old May 11, 2009, 05:46 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
how did you get the line"s?

Nice job by the way..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old May 12, 2009, 02:00 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined May 2009
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser110
How did you cut out the windows in the balsa?
Scott
with that...

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...e-FD-0107-.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee
how did you get the line"s?
Nice job by the way..
I've bought the plans here... but now they have got some virus on their site... my antivirus (Avast) doesn't allow me to open that...

http://www.anb-online.org

they have lots of Italian ship plans... ferries/car carriers (all fleet of Tirrenia and most of the fleet of Grimaldi), cruises (Costa Crociere, Carnival...), freight, tankers, bulkers, military... that's a very big collection of ship plans!

Robert.
Last edited by Roberto To; May 12, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:44 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,363 Posts
Robert, I guess if you ask a smart question, you get a smart answer Nice work. My curiousity was because for a long time I have thought about doing a modern crusie ship, many which look like floating apartments and was wondering if there was some other method you used ifor your sides, besides good old fashion time and skill

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Old May 12, 2009, 09:51 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Cool! another RoRo 1/87 is a perfect size, you can buy tons of HO scale stuff to detail it with.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter