SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
rcdude07

Currently using a 6 x 5 slow fly with a HK park 250. If you crack the throttle wide open your thumbs better be ready (and don't blink) because she can be a handful. (OOHHH look out for the trees -- LOL) It makes my .60 sized Reactor bi-plane seem like a trainer.

Defiantly a beginner build but NOT a beginner flyer. If you have a wide open yard and are an intermediate pilot this is the plane for you when the winds calm down just before dinner.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Last edited by ckreef; Feb 15, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I have always been fond of Millenium SSX kits never had a chance to build one I saw these some years back and even bought a micro ssx kit to build but then got out of hobby, well im back was going to start back out on a slow stick just to clean out the cobwebs. Emailed Millenium and turns out it is possible to build the micro with some dihedral. So I think ima pull the trigger in a week or so should be a fun build
xsputnikx is offline Find More Posts by xsputnikx
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
Well turns out I couldn't wait a week. I still have save up for the rest of what I need to get back in the air since im just now getting back into the hobby and sold most my flying equipment years ago but I went ahead and ordered a kit online tonight im in GA so shouldn't take too long to get here im guessing maybe monday.Will post some pics when I get her together.

I notice there has been some revisions on the kit skimming over the thread will I need to resort to here for updated instructions or will the correct ones come with the kit?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsputnikx View Post
Well turns out I couldn't wait a week. I still have save up for the rest of what I need to get back in the air since im just now getting back into the hobby and sold most my flying equipment years ago but I went ahead and ordered a kit online tonight im in GA so shouldn't take too long to get here im guessing maybe monday.Will post some pics when I get her together.

I notice there has been some revisions on the kit skimming over the thread will I need to resort to here for updated instructions or will the correct ones come with the kit?
Have an arf kit just about ready for a maiden.
The instructions made note of some changes and some 'old' parts are not used.
using the prop saver option on a pk250 has the shaft way up in the tube.
This binds when adding much thrust angle.
Good luck out there! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Have an arf kit just about ready for a maiden.
The instructions made note of some changes and some 'old' parts are not used.
using the prop saver option on a pk250 has the shaft way up in the tube.
This binds when adding much thrust angle.
Good luck out there! Chris
The original version of the park 250 did not have the extended shaft. Sorry about the problem, I did not know that the motor was going to change. You can fix the problem by adding standoffs to the motor and moving the wing forward.

Do you have the square fuselage or the round fuselage on your Micro?
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
The original version of the park 250 did not have the extended shaft. Sorry about the problem, I did not know that the motor was going to change. You can fix the problem by adding standoffs to the motor and moving the wing forward.

Do you have the square fuselage or the round fuselage on your Micro?
Thanks for your time.
Square Fuse. I had commited and glued all before realizing what was going on.
At first I thought the ESC break was set!
I reamed the stick and grabbed another motor mount section from the kit I have. This gave more clearance.
I intend to build the kit this winter, or eh em use it for spare parts.
The intention being to cover it like E-flights MUS.
White on top red on the bottom.
Of note I used blenduram instead of stoch tape on one side of each hindge and regular scotch tape on the other.
All up is 5oz with a 360mAh 35C.
CG ing with the bat place ment is in range.
Thanks again Chris
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Maiden in the rain!
Rose off road with less torque troubles.
13 beeps of up E and flying a tad nose heavy.
My next build will be lighter in general.
There are places weight can be stripped even now.
The ESC (once stripped of its cover) has a large very heavy shrink tube and is mounted with white electrical tape. This covers the huge bundle of wires, that can also be trimmed.
I used generous amounts of glue, way too much.
For additional 'standd offs' in went slices of thick rubber bands.
This allowed me to adjust for max thrust angle before binding.
Flight was smoother than expected!:
Swallows swarmed little SSX so I played!
Loops get nice and tight on high rates. Swallows win!
Getting back under the power lines at my skill level is too riskey.
So the perimeter of the hay field looked good.
It gets mowed more often and is less brushy.
SSX slowed down pretty nicely. Did a second flair on high rates and plopped in.
All good! Thinking about the bipe!!
Thanks for such a well thought out plane and a quality build! Chris
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I was excitied to open my door to realize I almost stepped on a package with a bright label that said do not crush... haha talk about irony. Is there instructions within the kit that tell me how to build the wings with dihedral? Or will I need to get crafty? I have built severa scratch built foamies but this will be my first balsa kit. I am going to hobby shop to pick up some building materials tomorrow to get started on it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:45 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I was excitied to open my door to realize I almost stepped on a package with a bright label that said do not crush... haha talk about irony. Is there instructions within the kit that tell me how to build the wings with dihedral? Or will I need to get crafty? I have built severa scratch built foamies but this will be my first balsa kit. I am going to hobby shop to pick up some building materials tomorrow to get started on it.
No instructions for the modification. I would start by using the center ribs as a jig to make two extra ribs for the center of the wing. one for each wing half. build the entire wing minus the two new ribs, front wing mount and the center sheeting. Cut the built wing in half. Determine your dihedral angle, split the angle in half (It's a good idea to make a jig) and glue your center ribs in at half the dihedral angle. Note you will have to modify the center ribs. Now cut a dihedral brace and fit it into the two wing halves. Glue the two wing halves together along with the front wing mount and apply your sheeting. Some modifications will be required to the front and rear wing mounts.

Hope this helps,

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
Thanks that "kinda" gives me a understanding of how I need to do it. Ima go look at the ssx trainer instructions and compare and see whats different The weather has us locked in doors so I think its a perfect time to start building the wing
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Thanks that "kinda" gives me a understanding of how I need to do it. Ima go look at the ssx trainer instructions and compare and see whats different The weather has us locked in doors so I think its a perfect time to start building the wing
Keep in mind this is a light plane. don't go overboard with the reinforcement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Keep in mind this is a light plane. don't go overboard with the reinforcement.
I was kind of apprehensive about cutting the wing but I got it done well the wing anyway I'm having trouble with covering it. This is my first time and I only have a heating iron to work with I have watched lots of tutorials but I'm having a rough time with this monokote.. Name: 2012-07-21_00-46-20_115.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 165.6 KB
Description:
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
I used just a heating iron also. Best thing to do is make a small test structure out of scrap balsa and do a test covering so you get the iron temp set right.

Did you get the covering from Millennium RC ?? If not it needs to be an ultra light type of covering. Regular Monokote or other regular strength coverings would be too heavy and would shrink too much possibly warping the wing as it shrinks.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I did.the easiest part of.covering.first which was the tail sections. I had to pull the sock off the iron and turn it all the way up to 3 just to get it to shrink at all but I think the rolls are defective. Cause I was doing a 2 color scheme and one covering shrinks and is fine while the other color doesn't
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I was kind of apprehensive about cutting the wing but I got it done well the wing anyway I'm having trouble with covering it. This is my first time and I only have a heating iron to work with I have watched lots of tutorials but I'm having a rough time with this monokote.. Attachment 5024997
Definetly do not use Monokote. I am a pro at covering and I could nver get Monokote to work with this small model.

James
RCG Plus Member