HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:11 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Build Log
Frankencanardparkie

I am a dangerous combination of things. First, I am a pack rat and scrounge (I throw away almost nothing). Second, I have some disposable income (though not as much as I would like to fund my bad habits R/C, sailing, antique autos). Finally, I am an engineer (electrical/computer, but the design bug is in the blood).

So, when I was but a newbie, my first plane was an Elfi with ailerons. It got pretty beat up, but I did cut my R/C teeth on it. In fact its final demise was do to overpowering the poor plane and pulling a multiple G turn. The wings folded. The tail feathers survived just fine... Hmm may need them for SOMETHING.

My second plane was a Pigue 3 from NE Sailplanes. This one had a catastrophic radio failure at height, but the wings survived intact... Hmmm again. The final piece (the power plant) came when I finally killed the IPS motors from my A-10. The A-10 has Wemotec Microfans and Astro 010s. The pieces have sat in the basement for a couple of years now.

Last summer I picked up some carbon fiber fubing from a kite shop near where we vacation (thank you Dr. Gravity). I have always liked canard wing aircraft. The fact the all horizontal surfaces are lifting just seems more natural to me than pusing the tail down to make the nose go up.

I have attached a drawing of what I have cooked up. The basic glide test was very promising. This was performed with the rudder and elevator/canard glued to a rod and the wings held in place with tape. It floated real nice and was quite responsive to the position where I taped the elevator horn. I'm still working on the placement of equipment and possible fuselage shape, but here goes.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:59 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Looks pretty cool so far..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:17 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Looks pretty cool. If I may suggest, a skid under the nose and in front of the fan would A) protect the fragile nose from digging in on landing B) give a little side area to the front of the plane so it doesn't "fall out" on turns C) protect the fan from beconing a debris collector during landings.

You may have to move the battery forward on the tube to get the correct CG. See diagram attached.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I had some idea of protecting the intake of the EDF, but did not think of the falling off issue.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills