Old May 25, 2014, 02:07 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Discussion
ACT - Application of Cnc Technology -

Ok, guys!
In many threads I read I found questions of how to manufacture this and that.
Feeling involved as exactly this is the question I'm currently triying to improve my skills, I thought to create a "Applicate Cnc Technology" thread.

Rules of Engagement:

As this threa should help others to learn from your improvemets and experiences and to create a technology base for the forum I'd like to initroduce some filter words which should be the introduction for every post. So one could use the channel search to find a specific post after his requirements.

You may copy the following header and eliminate the not fitting entries

One post should normaly handle just one part as the described manufacturing technology is applied to this ... handling a group of parts would create problems which part is mentioned and how does this all fit together .

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Before posting in here please read Post one carefully!

Part Name:

Part Material:

Part Size ( classified by the largest box stock dimension):
Nano Parts ( <0.5 inch )
Micro Parts ( <1 inch )
Small Parts ( <5 inch )
Parts ( <10 inch )
Big Parts (>10 inch )

Manufacturing Process ( classified by the highest technology level):
Handcrafted
Manual Turning
Manual Routing
Manual Laminating
Manual Wirecut
NC Turning
NC Routing
NC Laminating
NC Wirecut
Others

This header could be enlarged after new requirements or new technologies are found

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; May 25, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2014, 02:29 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts

Before posting in here please read Post one carefully!

Part Name: Dial Scale

Part Material: Brass ( MS63)

Part Size ( classified by the largest box stock dimension):
Nano Parts ( <0.5 inch )

The part is appr 10.5mm in diameter and 0.8mm thick.
Smallest dimension is 0.08mm (0.0031 Inch) ( tip width) of the indices.
the object has a 0.03mm ( 0.001 Inch) wide camfer all around the to edge and a M0.5 screwhole for assembly

Manufacturing Process ( classified by the highest technology level):
NC Routing
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Object is routed out of massive precision brass coin of 1.0mm thickness.

1Tool was a 0.3mm routing bit at 10mm feed per Minute and 20000 rpm
2Tool was a 90 deg engraving bit for camfering
3Tool was a 1mm routing bit for cutting free
First - the coin was cut out of the precision brass sheet and at this time there were two fixation holes set.
An Aluminum Receiver plate was cut carrying the two pins for the coins holes( pressfit ). The coin was pressed on the pins ( riveted)- no glue as this would kill your precision. afterwards.
Now the part is precision plained with the 1mm bit
the shape and the camfer are applied in full depth ( the shape is cut 0.1mm deeper than planned to compensate Burrs.
Afterwards all the routed gaps are filled with CA and cured. Protruting CA is plained away another time in same adjustment.
The rivets are now hollowed to a wall thickness of 0.05 so they would easily break and let remove the CA fillered coin.
Another anvil is prepared in the same manner as that one before and the part is rivetted on it from the opposite side.
Now the backside stock is removed down to the final thickness.
PIC 2
But is kept in the frame by the CA.
Afterwards CA is solved by ACETONE
and the parts is ready for use.
PIC 1
Take care to allways use new and razor sharp bits to prevent burrs you are not able to eliminate manually - the part is too flimsy and so would bend!.
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye