HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:30 AM
I NEED MORE FOAM...LOTS MORE
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Mar 2009
584 Posts
Discussion
Schubeler DS-30-DIA HDT 70mm Fan Unit

So i just picked up a gorgeous F-22 airframe. Its a single 70mm. Got just the kit, no electronics. My question is, im hand picking a bunch of premium electronics for it, and was looking real hard at this edf unit, its a Schubeler DS-30-DIA HDT 70mm Fan Unit. Its listed at 260.00. High price tag but is it legit? Does anyone have info on this unit? Experience with it? or any opinions? Thanks!

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Sch...30-DIA-HDT.htm
sNstRflyEr4G3 is offline Find More Posts by sNstRflyEr4G3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Yes it is legit I have one (the prototype) since I helped DS with the design, what do you need to know?

The pros are that it is a) very light b) very efficient, the cons are that it is a) a bit pricey and b) a bit loud (3 blades). It is only suited for small, very fast models. I have a Neu 1115 in mine, another good motor for it would be a small Mega or HET.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
It is a good fan but the sound is very '1999'. I'd rather use a wemotec minifan evo, up there in efficiency with the Schübeler fan but much better sound and a lot cheaper while still a quality product. There is a new 10 blade Schübeler 70mm fan but I don't think it's available yet.
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:31 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
what cha talking about willis? like an unbeatable hand in poker, it's the nuts! perfect fit in eflite f86

eflite f86 (1 min 54 sec)
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sNstRflyEr4G3 View Post
So i just picked up a gorgeous F-22 airframe. Its a single 70mm. Got just the kit, no electronics. My question is, im hand picking a bunch of premium electronics for it, and was looking real hard at this edf unit, its a Schubeler DS-30-DIA HDT 70mm Fan Unit. Its listed at 260.00. High price tag but is it legit? Does anyone have info on this unit? Experience with it? or any opinions? Thanks!

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Sch...30-DIA-HDT.htm
I have been using Schubeler and Wemotec fans of 90mm dia (I have not used any 70mm fans) for many years, with a wide range of motors and battery counts. The Schubeler ones perform no better than the Wemotec. Motor for motor, sometimes the Schubeler is one or two percent better than the Wemotec, sometimes the Wemotec is better. This can only be because on some setups the Schubeler matches the chosen motor/cell count slightly better than the Wemotec and sometimes vice-versa. But the difference, either way, is very small.

Weight? The Schubeler fans are a bit lighter. You might save an ounce. Does it matter?

Ruggedness? The Schubeler duct is very fragile. Also sometimes the centre body becomes loose because the joints between the stators and the duct become unglued. Particularly in a crash.

Don't bother. It is expensive because it is hand-made from costly and difficult materials. But it isn't any better. Buy the Wemotec. preferably the new 'Evo' one with the higher blade count, or just the Evo rotor, of 70 or 90mm to suit, if you already have a Wemotec fan.

Zaskarkid - your video is terrific. But have you tried the same plane/motor/cell count with the Wemo fan? Bet it's just as good.
Mark Powell is online now Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Oct 11, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
223 Posts
Personally I would use the new Wemo Evo from everything I have heard. I have been using the HET 6904 for the 70mm and they work great, but the new Evo sounds much nicer.

Don't be fooled by the affordable price of the Wemo.

Once the Shubie gets the high rotor count to market, I am sure it will be nice.
pylonboy is online now Find More Posts by pylonboy
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:57 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,201 Posts
I have a TJ 70 with a "Shubby" rotor (3 blade) and the ARC 28/58/1. 4S/5S/6S works great... Awesome set-up for 70mm !
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK