HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
The best thing about them in my opinion, is that the boat can be all plugged in & the hatch taped on ready to go for as long as you want. Then it's just a matter of plugging in the loop to arm the system & throw it in the water.
Great on race day when you may be running in say 4 or 5 classes with 3 heats in each class. You may only have a couple of minutes between races with different boats. If the boat is already taped up from when you had some spare time earlier, then it's an easy plug & go.
Easy for quick prop changes too. Pull the boat from the water, pull the plug change the prop, plug it in, throw it back. No need to untape to isolate the battery.
We even put them in our sport boats.

BACKEMFNRG, Shawner.
Just because it's not mandatory where you run, doesn't mean you cant do it. Give it a go. you might start a trend.
Just keep all wires as short as possible & as large as the battery wires.
Here's a pic in my Osprey that shows the basic setup inside.The loop is just in series with the positive of the battery & ESC. There is also a piece of 3/8 ply epoxied under the deck that the bullets are epoxied into.
Other people will have slightly different setups, but the basic outcome is the same.
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
I did it in my P-mono and I plan to try and get it done on the rest of the boats I have.

Unfortunately in NA some people are extremely anal about short wire lengths for high amp draw setups. My P-mono works just fine, in fact it would be best if I de-tuned it so it pulled less amps.

I use an 8mm plug on the outside with dual 10 gauge wires going in and out because.... IT RUNS ON 4S2P.
BACKEMFNRG is online now Find More Posts by BACKEMFNRG
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Yep using dual wires is common on High amp setups.

On all my 4s & 6s monos, hydros , cats & riggers, I use 8G & 10G wire with 5.5mm bullets. Never a problem. On the 1/8 scale hydro I'm building I've used 8mm bullets. But that's because I'm using 8mm on the motor, ESC, & batteries as well. Scroll down to post #57 in this link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1689968&page=4

Three quarters of the world use safety loops & don't seem to have any issues with them. It's been a requirement for decades.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:09 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
I must add, that yesterday at our clubs practice day The loop came into its own as the rigger had either a radio issue or a BEC issue in the ESC (haven't checked it out yet). The boat was intermittently stopping & starting out on the lake. The guy in the rescue boat ended up chasing it to the other side of the lake where it ran aground & tore the rudder off the transom. The motor was revving at full noise when he picked it up. A simple pull on the safety loop & she was dead. No need to sit it down & untape the hatch to disconnect the battery while the M645 prop was looking for some blood.

So we found another weak point that needs to be looked at .
I'm going to add a block of 1/4 Aluminium in there stand the boat upright & pour about 3/8" of epoxy on top of it, then, a bit of glass work on the outside, then drill & tap the bolts for the bracket, & she's good as gold.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:37 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,990 Posts
Now that it's already broken... enlarge the hole. Take some stiff 3mm or more cf sheet and insert about 10cm inside the hull, whatever you need outside and fix the rudder. This is how H&M recommends to install the rudder in the beginning...
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:06 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Now that's a good idea CP.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
It would also Greatly help if you added a kickback rudder type mount with a brass screw that would shear off instead of forcing so much energy into the hull mount.

Look at a speedmaster 21 mini rudder and modify the aluminum mount. Even after re0inforcement this is almost standard on most quality hardware.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Thanks so much for the pics and tips.

Certainly didn't mean to hijack the post but didn't want to not say thanks.
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
BACKEMFNRG
I've used the pivot type rudders but end up bolting them on solid because just the tiniest hit on a buoy or an object in the water that kicks the rudder up & the race is over 'cos you can't steer the damn thing. I've been put out of too many races because of that. I usually beef up the mounting point when I build the boat. But this one was pre installed. Actually this was a kick up rudder with a nylon bolt that kicked up once & sent me into the bank breaking the spars. So I put a steel bolt in it.

Shawnner
No worries pal. I don't consider it hijacking. It was still about boats.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:41 AM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
You have a good point. I have gone from 4-40 to 6-32 on larger boats now to help that.

Back to the rigger. Hope you get it wet again soon.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:50 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
33" rigger for sale

I have the 33" from tobsd and they did send me a new ESC on the one that was shorted out and all is well now. And that rigger really flys.. My GPS has it at 45 MPH and I wasn't at full throttle. But I think I am going to put it up For sale -- if any one is interested. You can call me at 352-751-3225 We only have a relatively small pond and the boat is just to fast for that small pond, So I would sell the entire rig with the 6 S batteries and the new up graded 150 amp ESC for the best offer offer over 300 hundred,
I have added a reinforced transom and a few other reinforcement.''
I have purchase the 19' wood rigger which should work out better. on the better on the smaller pond,

Dave Vollmers
Cell 561-350-3319
Dave Vollmers is offline Find More Posts by Dave Vollmers
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:45 AM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vollmers View Post
I have the 33" from tobsd and they did send me a new ESC on the one that was shorted out and all is well now. And that rigger really flys.. My GPS has it at 45 MPH and I wasn't at full throttle. But I think I am going to put it up For sale -- if any one is interested. You can call me at 352-751-3225 We only have a relatively small pond and the boat is just to fast for that small pond, So I would sell the entire rig with the 6 S batteries and the new up graded 150 amp ESC for the best offer offer over 300 hundred,
I have added a reinforced transom and a few other reinforcement.''
I have purchase the 19' wood rigger which should work out better. on the better on the smaller pond,

Dave Vollmers
Cell 561-350-3319
That wood 19" will be less of a bargain than this hull. I have the large wood hull (29" I think?) and it's construction was CRAP. All glue was cheap CA that comes loose before you run it. I threw mine into a corner to collewct dust, useless.

I suggest you look to a better manufacturer for your next rigger. Etti make a much nicer hull but, it's 26" long. That or a Tenshock Starship from Mini-cat Racing USA would Impress you much more for small spaces.

I'd even suggest this RIGGER way before a wood hul from TOBSD
Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me where in the length of this boat the CoG ( centre of gravity) should be for optimum performance?
lomdel is offline Find More Posts by lomdel
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Hi Lomdel.

With a 5000mah 45C pack in mine the COG ends up at 4" behind the heel of the sponsons.
I don't know if that is optimum but that's all I can do.

It was good enough to earn me second place in our restricted championship this year.