SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Well, my new Smoothie is on the way (to replace the one I demolished).

Looking forward to having one again.
Will you finish your new Smootie like you did the other one? You certainly build pretty! I look forward to flying with you at Whittier Narrows.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
Thank you.

It was pretty, but Brodak has to be given the credit for that. I came covered and trimmed like that, except for the U.S. pre-war insignia, which I added.

I also added the fine scale pilot (I removed him from the wreckage to be installed in the new Smoothie).

I look forward to flying with you sir, as well.

As I have no large flyable U-Control ship at the moment, I had prepared a Wen Mac "Hawk" flying wing, a Testors Galax IX, and a Cox PT .020 (with throttle for today). As it is raining, I will have to wait another week to test those out.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Last edited by Ah Clem; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Thank you.

It was pretty, but Brodak has to be given the credit for that. I came covered and trimmed like that, except for the U.S. pre-war insignia, which I added.

I also added the fine scale pilot (I removed him from the wreckage to be installed in the new Smoothie).

I look forward to flying with you sir, as well.

As I have no large flyable U-Control ship at the moment, I had prepared a Wen Mac "Hawk" flying wing, a Testors Galax IX, and a Cox PT .020 (with throttle for today). As it is raining, I will have to wait another week to test those out.
AC, maybe pick up an ARF FliteStreak and a .25. We all have one. When I get enough nerve, i would like to try flying FS two up, either racing or maybe combat!

I do suggest flying off the grass next time!

Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
Norm,

I picked up an assembled Baby Flite Streak from Ebay (as much for a vehicle for my Gilbert .11 as to have the aircraft itself).

I will look into the regular sized Flite Streak ARF-thank you for the advice.

After last week's' performance, I think the grass would be a pretty good idea (although I am not sure it would have survived my "figure 9" if I had crashed into four foot thick foam rubber).

Ed's Covina has the new Smoothie (and engine) on order for me, so I should start assembling one next week.

Your Chipmunk is still safe (it is cowering in the garage-in fear that it will end up the same as the Smoothie).

Thank heaven for ARF's and the old, plastic RTF's!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
About how long did it take to build your Brodak Smoothie ARF?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
AC, maybe pick up an ARF FliteStreak and a .25. We all have one. When I get enough nerve, i would like to try flying FS two up, either racing or maybe combat!

I do suggest flying off the grass next time!

Norm

Tell me about these .25 powered ARF Flite Streaks. Do they break, what fuel tanks, how fast, how long air time, which engine, what weight and how tight a loop?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:13 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Tell me about these .25 powered ARF Flite Streaks. Do they break, what fuel tanks, how fast, how long air time, which engine, what weight and how tight a loop?
There's a relatively current thread still around, with some ARF Streak discussion, and there have been many more threads about them the past three to four or more years in here. They fly quite well, are very light, but very flimsy in some areas, such as around the nose. They don't stand up to even a minor crash particularly well.

Shoot, Bob's ARF FS thread is still here on the front index page!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810108

If you have even flown a lightly built TF Streak, you know how an ARF of the same general weight will fly. They come with a small metal fuel tank, about two ounces in size, that an LA 25 will run about five minutes on. One thing I don't trust is the flimsy lead outs, made from what looks like .018 braided flying line, not frm proper flexible cable.

I remove the thin wires through the bellcrank access hatch, tying on a heavier cable to pull into the skinny cable's place.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
"About how long did it take to build your Brodak Smoothie ARF? "

I probably had about eight hours in it (I build slowly).
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
What kinda bellcrank comes in a FS?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
What kinda bellcrank comes in a FS?
It looks just like a Fox or Veco part, made from aluminum.
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
Posted in error.