HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:00 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGood View Post
Hello I am returning to the world of RC aircraft after years. I am looking to get his plane and I am tempted to try electric. After looking at motors and batteries for a few weeks my head exploded and made a big mess. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on quality motor, esc and battery combinations that worked well with this plane.
PGood,

Welcome to RCGroups and the return of your addiction.

While I don't have experience with the electric powered version of the Avistar, I can tell you it won't be cheap. You'll need to fly 6-cell LiPo's which will require a higher end charger to handle the higher charging loads. You'll want at least 2 if not 3 batteries - quality 6-cell batteries will run at least $125 each to close to $200 each. Toss in a quality charger that will run close to $200 if not more and, well, get the CA back out to put your head back together

I highly recommend setting an Avistar up with a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro (just put another one on my Avistar tonight) or OS .46 AXII. It'll be a less expensive to get going over electric, and give you more time to explore the dark side with smaller planes (stuff that uses the 3-cell 2200mAh to 4-cell 3500mAh batteries). The largest electric powered plane I have is a 4-cell GP ElectroStik which required modification to get to work properly.

Also, make the flap operational. They make a big difference in landing distance. Take a look at my video's (link posted in a previous post) on touch-n-go's and the how the flaps shorten the landing roll.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:07 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGood View Post
Hello I am returning to the world of RC aircraft after years. I am looking to get his plane and I am tempted to try electric. After looking at motors and batteries for a few weeks my head exploded and made a big mess. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on quality motor, esc and battery combinations that worked well with this plane.
im looking at this plane as an electric also.
im looking at motors right now and cant decide between a 32 size or a 45 size motor.

32 size:
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/suppo...520-6?limit=50

45 size:
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/suppo...120-6?limit=50
or
http://www.buddyrc.com/golden-power-...ess-motor.html

4s or 5s lipos ???????
i could use some info also.....thanks
basser is online now Find More Posts by basser
Old Sep 05, 2014, 04:28 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer View Post
PGood,

Welcome to RCGroups and the return of your addiction.

While I don't have experience with the electric powered version of the Avistar, I can tell you it won't be cheap. You'll need to fly 6-cell LiPo's which will require a higher end charger to handle the higher charging loads. You'll want at least 2 if not 3 batteries - quality 6-cell batteries will run at least $125 each to close to $200 each. Toss in a quality charger that will run close to $200 if not more and, well, get the CA back out to put your head back together

I highly recommend setting an Avistar up with a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro (just put another one on my Avistar tonight) or OS .46 AXII. It'll be a less expensive to get going over electric, and give you more time to explore the dark side with smaller planes (stuff that uses the 3-cell 2200mAh to 4-cell 3500mAh batteries). The largest electric powered plane I have is a 4-cell GP ElectroStik which required modification to get to work properly.

Also, make the flap operational. They make a big difference in landing distance. Take a look at my video's (link posted in a previous post) on touch-n-go's and the how the flaps shorten the landing roll.

Hogflyer
Thanks Hogflyer. That may be very good advice. I flew with OS fx .46 back when I was previously addicted so it should be an easier transition. I will check out the thunder tiger. Flaps have been in my plans since the beginning.

Thanks
PGood is offline Find More Posts by PGood
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:43 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Just to check my logic, sometimes I do have some, I am choosing this plane to get back into the hobby/addiction because I used to fly sport planes before I stopped so have some experience. I want something I can re-learn on but have some real fun flying with for some time before I have invest in a new plane. The club I am joining has an instructor program so I feel I should be able to learn quickly. This plane seems perfect to re-learn on with an instructor and since I have some experience but then move to some fun aerobatics. Would this plane make sense as I describe or am I lost in my own little world again?
Last edited by PGood; Sep 05, 2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:51 AM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
135 Posts
You've made an excellent choice! It is an excellent flyer with no bad habits. If you look in the classifieds, you can often find an O.S. 46 AXII for a reasonable price and it has all the power you need. Be prepared that these tend to come out very nose heavy (at least mine did). Pick up some lead weight for the tail. I was tempted to make a new battery mount above the servos because I hate adding useless weight. I may still do this. Have fun!
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Sep 05, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip Rammon!
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:53 PM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
135 Posts
This would fit very nicely in the Avistar.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239731
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3