SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Discussion
Good bye, Bud Riser

It was a beautiful day today for soaring out at Peeler Park. I assembled my Bud Riser 132 and launched it right into a beautiful thermal. It just settled in it and climbed slowly circling to the right. It was flying in it's sweet spot as usual and I even put the tx on the ground for a couple of minutes and just watched. I asked Bruce if he would like to fly it and he readily accepted. After a few minutes he attempted a turn to the left. No response. He held the tx up to me and said "is this right"? He had the right lever held all the way to the left. The plane was still turning gently to the right and was very high.
Suddenly the plane did a violent wing over to the left and pitched straight down. He tried to gently pull it out but it shed the starboard wing and tail feathers as it continued it's death plunge. It was high enough that I knew what was coming and bit it a heart felt farewell.
The plane impacted into tall grass and brambles and we got our legs cut up pretty bad locating the remains.
I did a build log on the plane and was so happy when I finally got it done and my hunches were confirmed that it would be a very sweet sailplane.
Post-mortem inspection and discussion seems to confirm that a loose rudder wire connector was to blame. When the connection was re-established during flight the rudder was all the way to the left and caused a violent left roll-over before the plunge could be corrected.
I will really miss that plane.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Last edited by planepainter; Aug 20, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
MAN!!! That's a real bummer Painter! Having followed your build log I know how much work you put into that bird. On the bright side you were able to salvage the rest of the plane. Any chance or a re-build on it or is it a total write off?

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hi Jeff. I could rebuild the forward half of the pod and reinstall the motor. That is easy. Tail feathers would be no problem. The boom and servo section of the pod are still in good shape. But I would need some wings. The center section that I scratch built to match the existing wings has almost no damage at all.
I would like to find Riser 100 wings but 100 inch OLY2 or similar wings would most likely work well also.
I don't believe there is anything that is damaged on the bird that I can't repair. But I just don't feel like building new wings.

PP
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
607 Posts
What a bad day for glider guiders. Sorry to hear it, PP.

Allan
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:44 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Thanks Allan. Moments before we lost it the plane was soaring so wonderful. A few flights before the fatal one I had finally got everything dialed in and tuned.

Donald
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
PP,

Sorry about your Bud Riser.

I think somehow we must be connected. I lost my Sig Riser 112 today,I named "Mulligan". I'm really going to miss it also. It was flying great as usual. I had it up for about a 20 minute flight and landed just to see how close I could put it down next to me. I sent it up for the second time and was about to shut the motor off and I saw the front of the wing lift up. I shut the motor off and the wing poped off. The wing floated down safely,but the pod and boom came straight down from around 400 feet. It sounded like a jet. Stuck it's nose about 4" into the ground. The pod is garbage. The boom is still intact,shows how good golf shafts are. The tail feathers separated on impact but are still in one piece. Very minor damage to them. The wing is in good shape also except for a 3" section of the trailing edge where it bolted to the pod.

Upon inspection,the crash occured when the wood hold down piece inside the fuselage pulled out. I had epoxied it inside the fuselage and added a piece of fiberglass for strength. But some how it seperated itself from the fuselage because it was connected to the wing with the hold down screws still attached.

I'll have to test the motor and esc to see if they survived, it hit really hard and the motor wires are chewed up a bit.

I'll just have to build another pod and boom or fuselage for it this winter and she'll be ready to fly again.

I just checked the motor....JUNK! I can just barely turn it by hand. I guess I'll have to get "Checkers" out.my Oly III,but I'm waiting on a new esc to arrive for it. And I'll have to hurry up with my Mirage build that I have on the table. I'm doing some different things to it also.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Last edited by hog2soar; Aug 21, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
622 Posts
Tell me about it, it's like losing a family member.
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Now you have to build another, better, call it Bud Light, you still have your Oly....all you need is a Coors...
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,125 Posts
Bummer Plane Painter , Hog to Soar, and Paulywog, in one week.I'm sorry for the loss of your planes.You should all be very proud of your aircraft .I feel like they are part mine as I have been reading about them for a long time.I hope you will keep building and contributing.Thank's.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Eddie, I am really sorry to hear about Mulligan! It is a real sad day when something you have worked so hard on decides to go away.

I think my Riser could have been saved if Bruce had not had the stick all the way to the left and held there. It was just then that the wire decided to reconnect and the rudder went full left HARD. That is when the plane flipped over and went down shedding the wings.
It is hard to take. But if, down the road, I find some Riser 100 wings the plane will fly again.

I think that my OLYIII might soon come up for sale. I desperately need a good mini van and the money would go towards a down payment. I would hate to sell it but I would still have my Edge Dancer, New Spirit and some other sailplanes to fly. Also, I want to get the Legion Aire 140 flying again!

PP
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Oh well PP, that's the hobby for us all, cheers for the story I can empathise.
It'll hurt to sell the O3 too.
Onwards and upwards though.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
southern oregon
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
PlanePainter...

If you bent the titanium wingrod, I have a spare for ya !!!! A sad tale to be sure. All the worse for me as I just bought the Riser kit in the 100 version and was going to make it a little bigger span sorta like an Oly 3. I was very glad your version flew so well. At least you know you can build a plane OK.
Reading your note regarding finances, instead of selling your beautiful Oly maybe you could sell lithographs of your original artwork instead ???? Let me know.. Regards, Randy Shaw.
Randy Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Randy Shaw
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hi Randy. I am open to suggestions for raising a few bucks for a down payment for sure.Don't want to sell it but at least I know it would sell. I would sacrifice my O3 in order to get the rest of my planes to the field without damage.
But it is a very nice sailplane and I put a lot of work into it. Lithos of my work would take a while to produce and I am not sure anybody would buy them!!

PP
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
935 Posts
Join'n the Club........

Dang! Hey Don and Eddie, what is the deal?!?! All three of us in a week!

I guess I'm the lucky one here as far as fixability. As soon as I heard the "bzzzzzzzzt" from my plane and the abrupt silence telling me it broke apart still beyond visibilty after it disappeared at post-speck, it was sorta nauseating and yucky feeling. Watching the pieces come down was rather, well, you know first hand.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Yes Paul. I know first hand. We were lucky enough to have had the plane come apart up wind so most of the parts floated down toward us. We still got cut up a lot by the tall brambles searching for the pieces but find most of the pieces we did.

And that brings me to my next contribution: A repair log!!

Yes folks, after having inspected the remains I have decided that a repair to this sailplane is not beyond my capabilities.
I have posted a photo of the start. I have begun on the center section as it was damaged the least and will go quickly. The rear bolt block was torn in two so I am inserting an new one. It is in place and the weights are there to assure a good flat bond.

"You know when you are an expert rc sailplane pilot when you know how to do major repairs but no longer need to do them...."
PP