SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Best is subjective, of course. But since you asked, my opinions where Spektrum is best are:

Best selection of products for all segments of the RC hobby. Best technical solution (that's why I chose it 5 years ago, and I'd pick it again today). Best bang for the buck, especially when you bring service, support, and similar things in comparing similar companies (I say that because smaller businesses, such as yourself, are usually able to do the service/support/visibility thing better. I did that for 11 years).

Let's put it this way - if I didn't think it was the best, I wouldn't be here.

Are there areas to improve? Of course, we're humans.

Andy
But you didn't say that in your opinion that Spektrum is the best, just that it is the best. No mention was given that it was an opinion, so I took it as fact stating. Hence the need for hard irrefutable documented evidence to that claim.

Anyway it's 1:20am, I'm tired, ratty, no midnight oil left and need to get up in 7 hours time. Never a good combination when posting on a public forum...

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Any updates / news on a V8R4-II with AFHSS? By next spring hopefully?
To get back on topic.... Simon any news on these? Doesn't have to be a promise that they are coming, just any news at all. I see a few posts back you were trying to acquire some V8R4-II rx.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
My measures of performance are heavily biased towards reliability. Trust and confidence are a huge part of the customer experience, and the absolute best of customer support (I never saw it) is cold comfort if one's joy is disrupted by a non-stop concern about the model going into a random ballistic trajectory.
Dirt-Torpedo is online now Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:08 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Transmitters don't reconnect, receivers do.

DSMX receivers reconnect instantly. DSM2 receivers also instantly.

Don't spew misinformation. If you don't like the best RC products on the planet, fine. If you want to run your inferior stuff, fine. Just don't keep lying about the good stuff.

Andy
Quote:
Best is subjective, of course. But since you asked, my opinions where Spektrum is best are:

Best selection of products for all segments of the RC hobby. Best technical solution (that's why I chose it 5 years ago, and I'd pick it again today). Best bang for the buck, especially when you bring service, support, and similar things in comparing similar companies (I say that because smaller businesses, such as yourself, are usually able to do the service/support/visibility thing better. I did that for 11 years).

Let's put it this way - if I didn't think it was the best, I wouldn't be here.

Are there areas to improve? Of course, we're humans.

Andy
WOW

Don't you think your customers should say if the Spectrum is the best ... if this is stated by who is working into ... it is looking PATHETIC ... and false as well.

Then ... you start first on making disinformation ... I did not said in my post that is tx or rx that reconnect ... I speak about tx-rx system ... since reconnect is between two elements ... it is not done by one alone .. even if in this case in absence of telemetry or uplink, it is the RX that need to find the TX channel after a reset.

I read here on rcgroups too many cases of crashed due to the spectrum tx-rx problem ... and too many are writing about that in case of little power problem (like a BEC that go for an instance below 3 or 4 volt) , the RX lose signal for quite a long time ...

Anyhow ... I was never thinking to buy a spectrum product before ... now that the people that work for, need to make propaganda for sell them ... I'm more convince then ever on stay away from it

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Sorry for OT ... this story end here for me ... I promise to don't reply on this OT issue here.
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:52 PM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
My measures of performance are heavily biased towards reliability. Trust and confidence are a huge part of the customer experience, and the absolute best of customer support (I never saw it) is cold comfort if one's joy is disrupted by a non-stop concern about the model going into a random ballistic trajectory.
It gives you good reason to buy many new models and not have to worry about what to do with the old ones.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
WOW

Don't you think your customers should say if the Spectrum is the best ... if this is stated by who is working into ... it is looking PATHETIC ... and false as well.

Then ... you start first on making disinformation ... I did not said in my post that is tx or rx that reconnect ... I speak about tx-rx system ... since reconnect is between two elements ... it is not done by one alone .. even if in this case in absence of telemetry or uplink, it is the RX that need to find the TX channel after a reset.

I read here on rcgroups too many cases of crashed due to the spectrum tx-rx problem ... and too many are writing about that in case of little power problem (like a BEC that go for an instance below 3 or 4 volt) , the RX lose signal for quite a long time ...

Anyhow ... I was never thinking to buy a spectrum product before ... now that the people that work for, need to make propaganda for sell them ... I'm more convince then ever on stay away from it

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Sorry for OT ... this story end here for me ... I promise to don't reply on this OT issue here.
Dear E,

I have used Spektrum for 6 years, DSM2 and now DSMX, and I now own and use a Hitec Optic 6 with a Spectra module, an A 9, a Spektrum DX 8 and a JR X9303, all with near-flawless performance. Each has its advantages and weakness viz, programming, but all are rock solid!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Just stop this stupid argument. If you want to have a DSM2/X vs ProductX debate start another thread or join one of the many others in progress.

This thread is about much welcome advances in AFHSS compatible receivers. Lets try and keep it on that topic because the endless bickering is helping no one.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,154 Posts
Quote:
Just stop this stupid argument. If you want to have a DSM2/X vs ProductX debate start another thread or join one of the many others in progress.

This thread is about much welcome advances in AFHSS compatible receivers. Lets try and keep it on that topic because the endless bickering is helping no one.
Two points: you are right about the topic and I love the 4 receivers I bought from Si, and, secondly, I tried to keep the tenor of my post neutral, so I had absolutely no intent to "bicker," just to post my near perfect experiences WITH BOTH SYSTEMS.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,008 Posts
Hi,

I just ordered 3 of the 8ch from HK. Here are the buddy codes if anyone is interested

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...D-A24B72E76A7B

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
To get back on topic.... Simon any news on these? Doesn't have to be a promise that they are coming, just any news at all. I see a few posts back you were trying to acquire some V8R4-II rx.
Sorry, this got hidden a couple of posts back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Ok ok, I get the hint!

I'll put another order for some V8R4-II and hopefully I'll get what I'd ordered for!

Cheers,
Si.
I'll let you know once I get them in, programmed and tested.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Sorry, this got hidden a couple of posts back:

I'll let you know once I get them in, programmed and tested.

Cheers,
Si.
Lol well I see I missed your first response as well.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:09 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,741 Posts
Simon, are you going to publish a protocol?

Specifically: What packets are exchanged during the binding process and what are their formats/bytes?
Do you know how the Tx selects the set of channels to hop through (when its not picking them by free space on the spektrum)?

Some have started working on answering these questions for DSM2/DSMX. here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759502

Thanks.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
782 Posts
I've ordered both versions now and they work well with my Hitec Optic 6 Sport 2.4
So for the moment i'm happy, will get a Aurora 9 soon so I can use the full 8 channels. I just started with RC this summer.

But the V8R4-II would be great as the small 5 channnel's range I guess is to low for parkflyers etc? Besides that the micro connectors are a pain in the rear..

I just installed the 5 channel in a HK mini Swift, I did try to solder the connectors that came with it but that did not work for me. I ended up using:

Micro Servo Connector Lead: PRODUCT ID: MOL125F-LEAD
With these small 6pin Micro Plug: PRODUCT ID: 6pin M-plug

(See images, I soldered the micro plug on the servo-wire. Works well and is still light weight)

But would love to see a V8R4-II version for Hitec. My guess is that the 5channel is for indoor only, and the 8 channel is to big/heavy for smaler parkflyers.
Also the single antenna @ the V8R4-II will be a welcome feature!

I do think about removing the case of the 8 channel to save weight / space (put shrink tube around it)

Anyways.. thanks Simon for the work you have done so far, please let us know if you get any progress with new recievers.

Cheers from Holland !

Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Any chance you can use the D8R4-II instead of the V8R4-II? Or does the telemetry stuff on that unit not play well?

I ask as they are more or less the same size, but the D8R4-II is a full range receiver and offers dual plug in antennas.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap