HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
Discussion
Klass Kote questions

I'm painting my Great Planes Master Caddy field box with Klass Kote. The field box manual says to do the following:

1. use wood filler
2. apply polyester resin, coating epoxy, or polyurethane
(I bought oil-modified polyurethane at home depot)
3. apply primer
4. apply paint

Will Klass Kote primer stick well to oil-modified polyurethane?
What product do you use before you put on the primer?
I'll do a test painting on a piece of scrap plywood. How do I test if the finish is durable? By scraping it with something?

Another question: I'm planning on painting with a brush, not airbrush. Should I still wear a respirator? When I opened the shipping box, the toxic vapors from the closed cans were really strong.
Killionaire is offline Find More Posts by Killionaire
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
I've never used it over poly, but Klass Kote is remarkably tenacious. I'd test it, though, just to be sure, over a scuffed and non-scuffed version of your surface.

Let Klass Kote cure for 4-7 days before doing a final adhesion or surface scratch test.

It's a pretty durable surface. In terms of hardness, not as hard as auto poly, but better than rattle can alternatives.

As for a respirator, yes, you should use one, whether spraying or brushing. Klass Kote is loaded with VOCs to thin it - that's what you smelled when you opened the box. Breathing those fumes is much like breathing lacquer thinner fumes. So use a respirator rated for organic vapor. KK is not as toxic as auto poly, but it's not exactly aroma therapy either.
farlap is offline Find More Posts by farlap