HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:52 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
[QUOTE=7car7;23960120]Now I'm in search of a stainless steel mesh, OR, maybe putting twice as many carbon strips than what I already have.[QUOTE]
I would think stainless mesh or a grate as used on the Steve modded unit, or on Scub's very good home-brewed clone, would be better than more carbon. You don't want to starve the jet of water by putting too much in the way. Changing to the Graunper shaft might help. The plastic (a glass reinforced variety) is better than the NQD plastic. If none of that works, you either give up crawlin' (NO WAY) or accept the impellers have to be regarded as expendable. At least until someone comes up with an aftermarket stainless or bronze version
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
Yup..but, a metal impeller will bend and destroy the housing at big rpm, so, keep impellers in stock..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
How about something like this? almost all of these are stainless and come in differing grid sizes
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-strainer.htmlName: strainer.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 13.1 KB
Description: Cheap Stainless mesh screen from a kitchen colander

John

For $3.99 you could screen 50 of these boats!
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Yup..but, a metal impeller will bend and destroy the housing at big rpm, so, keep impellers in stock..
Well, of course. But I'd assumed the same people who made the metal impellers would come up with a wear ring/scattershield as well but seriously (not a phrase that sits well in this thread) if we want to hoon about like Ken Block (on water) - and most of us do - it's a question of keeping impellers in stock.
Didn't you come up with a phrase about model or full-size jetdrives being a day on the water and a week in the garage
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 29, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:54 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
How about something like this? almost all of these are stainless and come in differing grid sizes
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-strainer.htmlAttachment 5491471

John

For $3.99 you could screen 50 of these boats!

That's what I'm thinking. I'll check some out.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
Because the weather is nuts, and 65 out, a small part of my lake is thawed, here is a quicky of the nqd boat a hour ago..its on 4S now, and built to take that..seems to like it, VERY windy, to much chop for a top end try, need smooth water for that, but, the hole shot is great.. and, the rpm is waaay up there now, I'm likin that..nothin to really see, bunch of circles to see if any water getting in, it aint, which is good...I'm skirting the ice, as you can see..lol

Good news is that with the bottom re-config, its hooked better now, before it would cavitate very easy at any speed in that chop, so, a little more pad helped..

Now, wait for spring I guess, back in the freezer tomorrow nite, with snow coming.

DSCN2432 (1 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:41 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
This little lake is literally in my front yard, our subdivision is built with no roads at all to the front of the houses, all the fronts are into a park setting..with the lake at the center..no gassers tho..

a few on one of my blowboats, but, you can see the lake with no ice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:59 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Good news is that with the bottom re-config, its hooked better now, before it would cavitate very easy at any speed in that chop, so, a little more pad helped..
Lookin' good. Mods have obviously worked. But 65 today and snow tomorrow? What the is going on with the weather these days
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Hi Gang
here's my boat run site. We have 2 kinds of water here.

Soft water

and

Hard water

The hard water is in today.

John
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
Yeah, John, fence lake is the same..hard or soft..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Because the weather is nuts, and 65 out, a small part of my lake is thawed, here is a quicky of the nqd boat a hour ago..its on 4S now, and built to take that..seems to like it, VERY windy, to much chop for a top end try, need smooth water for that, but, the hole shot is great.. and, the rpm is waaay up there now, I'm likin that..nothin to really see, bunch of circles to see if any water getting in, it aint, which is good...I'm skirting the ice, as you can see..lol

Now, wait for spring I guess, back in the freezer tomorrow nite, with snow coming.

https://vimeo.com/58479534
Quote:
This little lake is literally in my front yard, our subdivision is built with no roads at all to the front of the houses, all the fronts are into a park setting..with the lake at the center..no gassers tho..

a few on one of my blowboats, but, you can see the lake with no ice.
Is that Little manmade lake small enough that you never need a chase boat?
If I didn't have a chase boat, I'd be chasin to New Orleans to pick up my "Toys"

John
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:26 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
lol..have a full blown tug that deploys bouys, retrieves em, and grabs boats of all type..

The little tow behind is patterned off of the proboat duck towable..its a walmart $1 toy canoe..it hooks anything, rudders, drives, etc..the drop arms on the tug will also grab blowboat keels.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
The kmb needs more..a bimini would be PERFECT..any ideas, guys? to be really good, it needs joints in the arms..aint figured THAT out yet..

Tubes can be done with scale aluminum tubing, but, no good way to solder em together I have found..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Gang
here's my boat run site. We have 2 kinds of water here.
Not on topic (but that's never dissuaded anyone here - thank god) but I noticed the bird feeder in the 2nd pic. What kinds of birds do you get at this time of year
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Not on topic (but that's never dissuaded anyone here - thank god) but I noticed the bird feeder in the 2nd pic. What kinds of birds do you get at this time of year
Cardinals, Bluejays, 3 kinds of Grossbeaks, along with all the Goldfinches and nuthatches and the usual assortment of Sparrows, Woodpeckers, Morning Doves. They all seem to disappear whenever the Eagles and Hawks fly over.

It's fun, and a bit wild when it's a bear at the feeder.

I can still use the airboat on the hard water and I have 3 planes that can be adjusted for hard water use too. The problem with the hard water is that the guy on the sticks is getting soft in his old age and doesn't like his fingers getting frost burned as much as he used to.

I swear I will be Jet Boating when the water gets softer again outside my living room window.

John in Merrill