SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 12:24 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet126 View Post
I guess I feel the truck is just going to sit where ever it is and just wait for me to find it. I was thinking a really loud siren to deter anyone from walking away with it might be an idea; though if its 1km away non-LOS might still be a problem.
I had the same thought after one of the guys had his truck taken while driving 1/2mile away. So I hooked up the 120db siren, which doubles up as a horn, and lights to the failsafe, I figured that someone trying to carry a large rc truck weighing 26lbs, with a siren wailing and the light flashing may just decide that they are creating too much interest to be able to walk away with it unnoticed.

But I still get nervous when out of site, especially if there are people about.

Building your own pan/tilt rig is a better way to go, as you really need to get the camera lens where the drivers head should be, at the same time giving enough room to pan and tilt without hitting the Tonka roof.
FPVsummituk is offline Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Today at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:05 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
576 Posts
Here is the video as promise

Be Blessed
Isaac

Tonka Summit FPV with CamHead & Black Bear (15 min 46 sec)
tntburnett is online now Find More Posts by tntburnett
Old Today, 02:11 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
I had the same thought after one of the guys had his truck taken while driving 1/2mile away. So I hooked up the 120db siren, which doubles up as a horn, and lights to the failsafe, I figured that someone trying to carry a large rc truck weighing 26lbs, with a siren wailing and the light flashing may just decide that they are creating too much interest to be able to walk away with it unnoticed.

Building your own pan/tilt rig is a better way to go, as you really need to get the camera lens where the drivers head should be, at the same time giving enough room to pan and tilt without hitting the Tonka roof.
Do you have a link/setup to the siren; I agree running away with a blaring RC truck is going to be kinda weird.

I'm going to take a look at this RMRC P/T pan/tilt unit it's pretty much what I wanted; since I want to use the FPV cam for viewing and GoPro for recording. I've tried FPV through the GP and it's next to worthless most of the time. I also wanted to get a more center view that most of you guys are running, maybe just my 'flight' fpv experience, but stuff in the way kind of bothered me (what all the other FPV vids). We'll see how it goes.

Can someone measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the roof? That might help me decide on a P/T unit.
SilverBullet126 is offline Find More Posts by SilverBullet126
Old Today, 02:54 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet126 View Post
Do you have a link/setup to the siren; I agree running away with a blaring RC truck is going to be kinda weird.

I'm going to take a look at this RMRC P/T pan/tilt unit it's pretty much what I wanted; since I want to use the FPV cam for viewing and GoPro for recording. I've tried FPV through the GP and it's next to worthless most of the time. I also wanted to get a more center view that most of you guys are running, maybe just my 'flight' fpv experience, but stuff in the way kind of bothered me (what all the other FPV vids). We'll see how it goes.

Can someone measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the roof? That might help me decide on a P/T unit.
I just use a channel on the Rx to activate a pico switch to turn the siren on and off. I then just added that channel to the failsafe setting on the Tx, along with the lights and the throttle zero setting. The reason for this was that the guy who had his stolen saw the thief put it in the back of his cab before driving off, he said that as soon as the door closed his signal was cut dead, so I figured that the failsafe would take over as soon as the signal was lost.

Roof to floor dimensions is 170mm, front seat top to roof is 60mm. This is for the T-bar roof, obviously the the open roof with the side bars is not so much of a problem.

My personal preference is to have the camera located where the drivers head would be, as it feels far more natural when driving, also, using the same camera for FPV as you are using to record the trip is better, as your footage shows exactly what you are looking at as you drive, rather than being locked in one position looking forward with the scenery swinging about.
But go with what you feel is right for you, as I said, we have all tried to do something different, whether it is electronics, body colour or build theme.
It's what makes each video different and interesting.

Darkelf has just posted a video of his new pan/tilt setup, if your camera is the right size, then it may interest you.
Pan and tilt (0 min 29 sec)
FPVsummituk is offline Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Today at 03:17 PM.