SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semerien View Post
Now, after the third lesson, I'm working on flying nose in direction of flight box patterns. They look more like deformed triangles right now, but I'm actually flying the damn thing. The three things I suggest are:

1. Get CaptJac's help.
2. As he will tell you 'Practice, practice, practice'
3. As anyone will tell you ... Patience. There is a 'click' and now I can hover that bird fairly well from three orientations. No pro by any means, but it's coming.
----If I may add a 4th to your suggestions ..

----4. Practice, practice, practice

Phoenix been doing their homework on updates - and have greatly improved their training layouts in providing flight-box patterns. Great job Semerien - you're advancing fassssst and really keeping me on my toes staying ahead of you!!
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
wow Captain Jack made this fun!

I can tell you that if you are on the fence about learning how to fly with Capt Jack get off and DO IT! By the end of the session I was flying! Really flying in circles! It was a blast and I can't thank him enough!
alexstjo is offline Find More Posts by alexstjo
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstjo View Post
I can tell you that if you are on the fence about learning how to fly with Capt Jack get off and DO IT! By the end of the session I was flying! Really flying in circles! It was a blast and I can't thank him enough!
Ditto!!!!
NefariousRC is offline Find More Posts by NefariousRC
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Well it's been a month since I had my hovering lesson with Jack (3 months since I started helis). It changed my approach to practicing and now I practice hovering in all orientation and very slow piros in place every day.

here is a video I recorded today. I am now working on inverted hover/circuits and polishing backwards/some half piro flips experiments/collective management (it's not on the video too ugly hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduqqSIyDWE

I'll try to record similar video from RL when weather permits.
Thanks again Jack.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Last edited by AcidDrink; Jan 21, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Lookin good

Your flying style is very precise and controlled - I like that. It's one reason I have people do those same drills - the hovering while doing slow piros and level circuits and so on. You can really see where that training is showing through in your flying. Nicely done!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:55 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Lookin good

Your flying style is very precise and controlled - I like that. It's one reason I have people do those same drills - the hovering while doing slow piros and level circuits and so on. You can really see where that training is showing through in your flying. Nicely done!
Thanks Jasmine - if not these forums, I'd be nowhere with my flying and I'd not even think about getting a 50 soon (not to mention I'd not build my 250)

I still have a long way to go, I'll be doing these slow and precise drills even if I get to some smack 3D level (if ever). After 10 minutes of these anything seems easy. I start to understand why hardcore 3d guys always talk about FAI/F3C
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Yeah you should read through these... Finless Bob Video Challenge...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=252568
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=256165

The whole point behind those is to give people something reasonable to practice so they get the basics down before they move on. However, even for experienced pilots, it is a great practice, as it's easy to see when you mess up.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Where can i download a very fast jet for Phoenix sim..Like the F22 or which ever is the fastest???
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
You can edit the jets to make them faster, but I don't think you can download any other than what comes automatically. Periodically they add aircraft and it will download and install them for you. To increase the speed of the jets, you need to up the thrust to weight ratio AND the weight of the airplane. When you do this you're going to need to tweak the control surface travel also, to make the plane flyable at the higher speed. It will probably be near to impossible to land.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
Yeah I have an f16 on there that tops out at 583mph but its very hard to control and impossible to land unless you are someplace with a huge open field. Even I think I've only gotten it down successfully less than 10 times seeing as it stalls at about 80 mph. It was fun for awhile but not being able to land sucks and it also takes forever to get off the ground (very bumpy and hard since the suspension isn't meant to carry 110lb). Now I have one that weighs about 50lb and does about 300mph. Much more controllable, much easier to land and more fun overall. Anyways the f16 is the easiest to make go fast and is still flyable(there are others that are flyable at 600mph but you have to change the wings and a whole bunch of weird stuff). There are also a few that you can get going 700-800 but aren't controllable, just zoom off into the sky.

Edit:
Also you have to make the wingspan 7ft on the f16. Any bigger and will go beserk when flying and doesn't work lol.
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah you should read through these... Finless Bob Video Challenge...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=252568
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=256165

The whole point behind those is to give people something reasonable to practice so they get the basics down before they move on. However, even for experienced pilots, it is a great practice, as it's easy to see when you mess up.
Yes, I am practicing this as well. Everyone should look into it.
(second one is very hard on the sim due to lack of depth).

My goal is to pass "B" BMFA certificate this year and start attending competitions sometime next, time permitting. (good practice routine as well http://www.bmfa.org/achievement/files/Hel-B-Issue8.pdf)
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
USA, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Learning to fly

CaptJac,
I know that you tried to get together with me on Skype in December before I left on vacation. I'm finally back and ready!! Could you please give me your Skype Number so that I can contact you directly?
Looking forward to chatting with you.
Alan Roth
Alsbike@gmail.com
Alsbike is offline Find More Posts by Alsbike
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
Lessons with CaptJac

I've been following this thread with some interest. Since I'm a new heli pilot... trying to learn a few skills. I'm comfortable with the mCX, MSR, and SR 120. And now looking for something bigger. Folks at the local flying field recommended simulator experience. And so I bought the Phoenix... and have been playing around without much direction.

CaptJac has really made my learning focused and directed. Instead of randomly stumbling across learning points... he takes you step by step through a structured path.

If anyone out there is thinking about joining up with CaptJac... just get off the fence and do it. Worst case is you learn a little. Best case is you learn lots, and have fun.
mini57 is offline Find More Posts by mini57
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,995 Posts
Training exercise -

moved to new location ..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jan 28, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,995 Posts
Tail-in hovering

moved to new location ..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jan 28, 2011 at 08:16 AM.