HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muduck View Post
What a stunning Autumn-like evening yesterday, just had to have a flight..light easterly blowing, the SW behaved beautifully..uploading a vid now..

http://vimeo.com/37412524
mate, i think there is almost too much air space there!!.

looks like a nice place to fly ;-), great footage.

45 south sou west of Nowra?

hhmmmm... that road trip is still waiting for me..

I spent the day gluing wing halves and cutting bays for my new fpv wing. 60 inches of what will be (i am sure) FPV heaven ;-). the wing quality is absolutely awesome.. you got to hand it to zipper and the "off the edge" peeps.. they know what they're doing ;-)

no fpv for me tomorrow either.. more work on the wing..
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,772 Posts
Did my first FPV landing with goggles yesterday. Thanks to the help of Cody69. Considering it was bloody windy I was really happy with the result. (nothing busted or bent)
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:57 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootster View Post
Did my first FPV landing with goggles yesterday. Thanks to the help of Cody69. Considering it was bloody windy I was really happy with the result. (nothing busted or bent)
Great feeling Eh?.....s'funny, I find it really difficult now to fly LOS...I just have to get lower now..might practise tomorrow..
muduck is offline Find More Posts by muduck
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:27 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootster View Post
Hey Zoot, glad to hear from you again. I think we corresponded when I was starting out in FPV back in Sept 07. Im still at it. Almost got it sorted out too!
Dont listen to Cody, he will lead you astray. Good to hear about the landing with goggles on. I only try that when its a straight in approach on flatland. Not easy to do on slope landings.

Had a hot day today, 1hr10 thermalling with HGs at Mt Terrible. About 41 degrees C at launch, onboard thermometer measured 125F until I got airborne. Made 2300ft height gain in rough lift. Thermals were common, with 3.5-7f/sec lift all over. RVOSD Gen 5 Fly By Wire stabilization made easy work of it though. Stuffed the landing into a wire fence with a few scrapes.

The BigAss should be ready for next weekend. I ran the motor at fullnoise today and only made 35A on 3s, so might need to revisit the prop combo. Unfortunately it means chopping out more trailing edge to add a larger prop. Trial and error is the go.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
461 Posts
problems today....Interference???

I was out this morning with both Skywalkers.
Each has the same gear:
4S-5000 motor only
3S 1800 electronics, camera, FY21ap
camera servo with ferrite ring. rings on all servos
Chainlink.
Vtx 910mhz

the vid shows the worst effected, I aborted at 5km, I couldn't hear the engine surge until I saw the vid at home, rather saw the cam servo glitch, & "felt" the rudder pull to the right. I set the FY to return to launch, & experienced no further trouble.
Any ideas??

http://vimeo.com/37451395
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:17 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
A quick cut together of the highlights of some flights today. I was enjoying a non-powered thermal ride when I spotted an eagle flying next to me.

Eagle Attack! (amongst other things) (2 min 0 sec)

It was an amazing feeling until he decided he didn't want to share his airspace and attacked my camera! He tore out some foam and dislodged my camera pod. Lucky I decided to put a rubber band around it - it held the pod on at 45 degrees. I bugged out and landed safely...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,164 Posts
Hey Gree, what were the concreted areas between the trees for?
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
I don't know. The whole area is run down. I think there were a lot of buildings there that have since come down...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
I've experienced similar (occasional) problems, but cant shed any light unfortunately..

i run RL (433), fy21ap, 3s5k on 1.2vtx.

have no issues with vtx, but occasionally get a fail-safe, which appears same as what you experienced..

wish i could shed some light, but got no idea unfortunately.

i have fail-safe set on my futaba for fy21ap rth engage, so i am just living with an occasional glitch atm.. ;-(

i wish i could get to the bottom of it, but i cant. i have replaced everything in my set up (radio, rx, tx, servos etc etc etc.. i mean EVERYTHING) and i still experience it (occasionally), which means to me it has got to be environmental right??

dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduck View Post
I was out this morning with both Skywalkers.
Each has the same gear:
4S-5000 motor only
3S 1800 electronics, camera, FY21ap
camera servo with ferrite ring. rings on all servos
Chainlink.
Vtx 910mhz

the vid shows the worst effected, I aborted at 5km, I couldn't hear the engine surge until I saw the vid at home, rather saw the cam servo glitch, & "felt" the rudder pull to the right. I set the FY to return to launch, & experienced no further trouble.
Any ideas??

http://vimeo.com/37451395
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
A quick cut together of the highlights of some flights today. I was enjoying a non-powered thermal ride when I spotted an eagle flying next to me.

http://vimeo.com/37456766

It was an amazing feeling until he decided he didn't want to share his airspace and attacked my camera! He tore out some foam and dislodged my camera pod. Lucky I decided to put a rubber band around it - it held the pod on at 45 degrees. I bugged out and landed safely...
classic!! great shots!!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:26 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
It was an amazing feeling until he decided he didn't want to share his airspace and attacked my camera!
They're catching on!!!
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:50 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
Thanks for this great idea BingWing!!!!, you can count me in.. if the offer is on ;-)

Box and Teamsherman.. I've dobbed you both in for this, via PM to BingWing... i know you'll want to both be there!!

What about you Narcas?.. 2 hours is not so far?
Yep, good call, i'll be there!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Guys I have use of a full size airstrip in NSW ( two hours drive from Sydney ) Im thinking of putting on an RC funfly with FPV pulon racing. Thoese who are interested please email me at parkpilot@live.com.au - We are thinking early May
Hell yeah! Time to dust off my CMP Zero - finally a surface I can land on!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
I've experienced similar (occasional) problems, but cant shed any light unfortunately..

i run RL (433), fy21ap, 3s5k on 1.2vtx.

have no issues with vtx, but occasionally get a fail-safe, which appears same as what you experienced..

wish i could shed some light, but got no idea unfortunately.

i have fail-safe set on my futaba for fy21ap rth engage, so i am just living with an occasional glitch atm.. ;-(

i wish i could get to the bottom of it, but i cant. i have replaced everything in my set up (radio, rx, tx, servos etc etc etc.. i mean EVERYTHING) and i still experience it (occasionally), which means to me it has got to be environmental right??

dunno...
Scared the hell out of me, first time that's happened....on reflection it must have been failsafe, but why would it have jittered the cam servo...it is run independent of the controls..has it's own channel...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
i want one...

Sikorsky demonstrates new X-2 helicopter HD version (1 min 33 sec)