HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,455 Posts
That is just a great job on the build!! Good looking plane.

I suspect your scales are off

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Luke, mighty fine looking plane! Nice to hear that maiden went well also.
My plane ended up weighing 12lb 10oz. And that is using the aluminum spar and aluminum landing gear. And speaking of landing gear, I love the ones you have on your plane. Are they carbon fiber? If so where did you get them?

Dennis, I would guess that maybe 3D Hobby Shop has some carbon gear that might fit. Do you know which ones I would get. I really want to put carbon gear on mine.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Thanks!

Im using CF Wild Hare Baby Extra gear I got it here http://www.tntlandinggear.com/clearance_corner.htm
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Well I almost had a very disastorous flight today! 6mins into a flight of starting to explore it's limits, and I hear a whoosh/poof sound followed by a very sudden stop of the prop and the appearance of a smoke stream. I managed to get it down safely without damaging anything, despite landing it in some long grass, didn't even break the prop! My checking over of the system after my flights had revealed barely warm to touch batteries and ESC, but the motor was coming down reasonably warm to hot. But a post mortem of the power system revealed a motor with very dark windings and pretty much nothing left of my ESC except the heatsink, capacitors, and the wire leads. So we believe the motor just gave in and took the ESC out with it, the batteries also have had some of the outer covering burnt away, so they'll go in the bin simply as a precaution. The other damage is the motor box is quite singed on the side where the ESC was mounted.

So it seems I found the answer to my question as to the suitability of my 260kv motor, as despite it having awesome power it seems I had it prop'd a bit hard. The motor is currently firm to turn over and initially after the flight felt like it was catching in some spots, so i'll be pulling it apart to check it over and i'll replace the bearings, and do some reading up on winding or send it to someone to have it rewound to 220-240kv.

So where to from here, well i'll be cleaning up the motor box and fitting some doublers in the damaged areas as a precaution, i'll fit up the other suitable ESC I have here (ZTW 120a HV), and i'll look at fitting up the Torque F3a motor or i'll just wait till I get the Motrolfly fixed up.

But all in all I was very lucky I didn't do any more damage, especially if those batteries had gone up it would not have ended well! But before it all went bad on the previous flights I'd had lots of comments on how well it flew!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,455 Posts
That truly is a bummer, but lucky in the end.

You may contact Ken at subsonic for a re wind, I know he does them for US customers.

I can have a file sent to Bob Holman if you need a new motor box.

Dennis
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:50 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Very lucky!

But all is good, I don't let that sort of stuff bother me. Just put it down to a learning experience. At the end of the day the plane is intact, I can replace the motor and ESC without much trouble.

I'll see how it looks when I pull it off, I think it will be ok. But may still take you up on getting some new motor box parts.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:33 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,455 Posts
Luke

Did yiy ever get a watt meter hooked up to the Motrofly?

Dennis
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
No never got a chance, needed to make an adapter up since the plugs were different as well and I never got around to it.

But the calcs said it would have been doing over 3000watts, which i'd believe as the pull out was pretty impressive at full power. I hadn't managed any hovering but it was pretty much holding it's own weight at just over half throttle.

I've got the day off tomorrow so i'm hoping to get a chance to do some work on the M12, it has pretty much sat untouched since I unloaded it from the car. I'm hoping to fit up the Torque F3A as I know it will spin an APC 20x11-20x13 prop on 10s as that is what it's been designed for.
Last edited by luke352; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Well I might take you up on the offer f getting some new Motorbox parts Dennis. Just took the motorbox and motor off and the depth of the burn on some parts of the motor box was worse than I originally thought and although repairable, might just be easier to start with some new parts. What's the chance of just having the motor box cut files emailed to myself and i'll just get them cut through one of the local companies which should get the new parts to me quicker, otherwise i'm happy to go through Bob Holman again.

Luke
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:57 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Here are some pics of the motor.

She looks a bit toasted!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,455 Posts
Luke

Merry Christmas!

Have you had any luck with the CAD files for the motor box?

Dennis
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I got the files, but the local cutter I was going to use has a minimum charge and it will be easy enough to repair so i've just ordered some ply instead to do a repair with. The local Motrolfly supplier has ordered a new stator for my motor for me. But i'll likely fit the Torque F3A instead and save the Motrolfly for another model.

Hope you had a good xmas Dennis.

Luke
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
366 Posts
Luke
Try Brad at Laser Cut Kits Australia he may help you
http://www.lasercutkits.com.au/
grover is online now Find More Posts by grover
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,455 Posts
Bob Holman can do small jobs, If it gets to complicated

Dennis
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
Luke
Try Brad at Laser Cut Kits Australia he may help you
http://www.lasercutkits.com.au/
Yeah that's who I contacted initially and he wanted $100 to basically do all the ply parts as he initially thought I wanted all the parts on the supplied drawing sheets cut, probably close to 30 items. But to just cut the 6 parts for the motorbox he wanted $69! So the price if I wanted all the parts was very fair but Im not willing to pay $69 (that's his min charge) for a couple small bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Bob Holman can do small jobs, If it gets to complicated

Dennis

Nah, should be good Dennis. The repair won't be difficult, but if id been able to get out of it for $20-$30 in pre-cut parts I would've taken the option of new parts.