HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,879 Posts
Yippee!
NZ Int. DS Fest - Reports, Video and pics

Opening ths thread for all new discussion as to where we are headed, day reports and pics/vid.

Please keep all other discussion as to your model boxes, what should I bring etc in the "Planning" Thread

So far, Friday has a good SSW forecast for Wainui: http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/Akaroa
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:14 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,879 Posts
Should post this on here.

Asto has arrived! The Aussie onslaught has begun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:11 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,066 Posts
Let the show begin!!!
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:37 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,301 Posts
Ds fest nz

Hi DS freaks,

Ok I have arrived and settled into DS base camp(The house).
Yesterday was fairly full on started out with work. Had heaps of cucumbers to pack before I left.
After that we loaded up the van and were under way to the airport. Twas a clear run to the airport. Somehow all the roadworks was on the opposite lanes.
Got to the airport with heaps of time to spare so the missus the Bubs and I sat down and had a milkshake. After that was the weigh in. Rolled the coffin up to the counter and put it on the scales 31.6kg, Just scaped in.
After the weigh in I left the family and went through customs. Had a power nap in the waiting area. The flight boarded 15mins later than we should.
The flight was straight forward, sore back and legs. I'm not a good flyer.
We arrived 11:45 at Christchurch Airport. Picked up my bagage and met up with Alex outside the exit. I got a lot of looks with my oversize coffin.

Thanks to Alex for picking me up and taking me my DS palace. We talked sh#t for a bit then Alex left home for some sleep. I stayed up to open my presents and all the planes santa got me were in great order.
sleep was needed so I pasted out fairy quickly.

This next morning I woke about 8am. Had some toast and called Alex, we picked up my Boonty wagen the SUBI and headed to a phone place to organise phone stuff. I had called Telstra before I left and asked about unlocking my phone and was told it was already unlocked. But when the phone dude put the sim in it didn't work. Alex sent a message to AVB to see what he had done and maybe the sim may work after a couple of minutes. So we will try that next .
Back home now and we are about to head up to the hill for a Fly..

I'l try and keep you posted but I not the best at writing reports. I don't know how AVB does it.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,141 Posts
That's Asto..." NZ's first slope Indian"..

Looking forward to your reports..

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
1,990 Posts
deleted
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: sorry wrong place
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:32 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
1,990 Posts
deleted
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: sorry wrong thread
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
2,993 Posts
Nooo not the Noodle! What happened? Did it blow up in the air?

200+ on day 1, nice!
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,301 Posts
Day 1

Ok back from flying and I am knacked. Headache is setting in plus me hungry. This is how excited we get when going Dsing for the first time in six months.
Forgot to take water up..
First we went to sugarloaf. It was north maybe around 15 to 20knots. First Alex got the evo Bee out and showed the ropes. Sooo smooth the zone was. The force is strong in this one. He wound it up to 160mph which me tinks is a airframe record.
Then it was dumb thumb Asto's turn. D40 was the weapon of choice and we noticed the wind was shifting to NW slightly. Sometimes the wind would drop fairly low too. Anywho I threw it out anyway. The D40 out as had a rebuild since last flight and servo installed into tail. So it was heavier than before. Launched , nice clean throw, straight out, work it work it, then she was not gaining hight but dropping," Go further out" Alex said, so I did left then right then left again then suddenly " I GOT NOTHIING"straight down into the unknown. I lost site of it.

The walk of shame was hard and long and fall of these prickly little seeds that stick to your shoes and socks. I found it below the road that heads to the carpark. stabbed it up to the wing saddle. fuse is got cracks around the wing saddle and the elevons need some work. IT WILL BE FIXED and will fly again.

After that incident Alex threw his foamy plank out and sank out due to the wind going too NW. So it wasn't my fault.

So off to Cass Ridge we go not realizing what more carnage I was to unleash. We arrived and walked up about 50metres and there was this MASSIVE backside that dropped almost straight down till you couldn't see no more. Little did I know that it is covered in these nasty spicky vines that don't like letting go.( Alex found out the hard way).
Alex threw the Beevo out again and buzzed around for about 15mins straight and pumped out 155mph. Looked heaps faster than the other site. Then he was kind enough to pass me the renta plank and I had my first official Ds at the Fest. I punched out a massive 150 something I can't remember what exactly.
Alex brought out his awesome reaper next and showed how the pro's do it around here. Cruzing in a 177mph.
After a bit more noodling with Alex's renta plank( And it was Noodling) I decided to put together the real Noodle.DSL version.

I threw it out no problems went straight out. trims were sweet, Dove it in started cutting some good laps. looked sweet . All the while Alex was calling the speeds 150... 160's 190s then 201 and 211 wings "are you sure , it looks way faster i yelled " after a little bit more circle work on the top stroke the tail popped off in about 1 or 2 seconds later trying to fly it around I didn't think quick enough about hitting flapps to controll pitching it plowed straight down into the second gully about a K away. Oh Noooo. My best model gone in the first day.
Oh well it went out in style and popped my 200 cherry in NZ.
I was gutted and we tryed a couple of ways to get down to the gully but it is a mission to walk through that spikey sh#t.So its going to the DS gods. A sacrafice had to be made to BRING ON THE WIND.
Alex had a go at flying his old betsy Burner and on the throw something came loose inturnally, not in Alex just the burner.
He done a emergency landing on the front in that prickly stuff too and has the scars to proof it.

I got video of Alex's flight of the Beevo and he has the footage now and will post it when he can. My phone camera is playing up so no pics yet. sorry guys hopefully the other guys will have camera's and we'll get some more footage soon. The other fella's are turning up in the morning. I hope they have better luck than I have. Maybe this is why I have gotten back into bikes They cheaper. Ha ha

Totally stuffed now got to fix D40 and fix wire on charge lead.

Asto out
Last edited by airtimeasto; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: dumb thumb on key board
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:59 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,879 Posts
I hate the ChCh NW wind, It is so strong that you think, "Gee! We better get some of this!" Only to find you have a halfass site that hasn't got as much power as you should have for that much wind, and enough turbulence to make you vomit!

So sorry to see Asto a victim of it =( Man I was impressed with that model
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:02 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
2,993 Posts
Ohh so sorry to hear that Asto. I know you were umming a ahhing over whether to take the Needle but you needed something for the lighter days. So did the tape let go or it was just too fast and structural failure? I know you have done something like 240 with her before. Commiserations. So is Cass ridge the same spot where AVB ds'ed his DSX with the huge backside and 70mph winds?

Man those prickles sound nasty. I remember Johno saying to me whenever he goes sloping in NZ he takes a machete and welding gloves for plane retrieval.
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:54 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
I feel gutted for you too Asto. That's a terrible shame. It's a crazy wild site ... huge power but really bad currents and rough turbulence ... yes Eric that's the spot that the DSX went 330+ I reckon but gunned at 262. So sorry Asto. So you don't know why the tail let go?? Really sorry for you mate but glad that you're there anyway. Wish I could send you a DSX to play with.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:46 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,301 Posts
All I seen was the tail flying away half way up the hill. I don't understand what let go because it wasn't that fast by gun readings and it seemed to me to be solid as it ever did. I've seen it in worse shape than it was in. Tape didn't let go because you could see both ends of the elevator stab joined.
Just gotta keep on pushin on, still got 6 other planes to blow up yet before I get out of this hobby. Ha ha
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:31 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
I hear you Asto.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:10 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,879 Posts
First video. It was all the video we managed to get. Too hot today! Wowza!

NZ DS FEST 2012 - Dec 5th (2 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member