HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, IN, West Lafayette
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Discussion
Good beginner heli?

Hey guys the last time I flew a nitro heli was my Shuttle ZXX when they were still brand new, I now have an old JR ERGO 46, but parts seem to be obsolete... what is a good heli to get back into flight? are Raptors? still good? or is the standard a trex now?
azimm1984 is offline Find More Posts by azimm1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
There are many great trainer helis on offer today, including the Raptors.

Due to the relatively high cost of nitro fuel today, the 30 size heli is the most economical. The heavier ones offer a little less in 3D performance then some 50 sized helis due to a lower power to weight ratio.

That said, one of my favorites is the Century Hawk Pro. It has a light airframe so with the current OS 3 engine it actually has a better power to weight ratio then some of the 50's I have had. (it will make your Ergo 46 feel like a real slug). Not only is the Hawk well priced, but it uses a very similar control system as that of your Shuttle ZXX, which is very easy to set up.

It is also relatively inexpensive to buy and to repair, and is equally comfortable at the lower head speeds for training or scale flying ( a good selection of scale fuselages are offered for them also) as it is at some of the higher speeds now used for 3D flying.

Of course in these sizes, you can also go to 550 sized electrics like their Swift NX or in the larger size like theri new E640 or similar slightly smaller offerings from TT or Align.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
WOW that is a cheap heli for sure! how much 3d can it take me into?
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
There are many videos on youtube of it performing 3D, but here is one of my favorites. The Toki 40 engine is no longer available but the new OS37 is about the same power.

Hawk Pro 3D Adam Turner (6 min 24 sec)
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,642 Posts
I agree, the Hawk Pro is a great heli to start with.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
I went from 450 electrics to a 600 le I built. Bought a new kit and used electronics. It has been a great bird and had been training me well.
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,327 Posts
a heli crash will cost you anyways.. why not fly what you have? you might spend time online finding parts, but even shuttle parts can be found and concept, and so on.

untill you start forward flight , any heli will do. and even those will do loops and rolls. if you have to buy something.. a modern radio is the best investment.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Yah I ended up picking up a gasser frenzy 90 literally hovers with hands off the sticks! and just bought a trex 500e so I can play at home without bothering the neighbors so much.. I guess I should have clarified I wanted something to grow with.and take me into light 3d im not a total noob but im no good either just picked up phoenix sim as well so that should help a ton! thanks again guys
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
funny you said can even find shuttle parts... my first heli 10 years agao was a shuttle zxx.. I learned to hover on it then quit the hobby until a few months agao.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I have a Raptor 50 I got used, I love it. It's strong, easy to get parts and easy to fly and work on
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
I have been thinking of picking up a raptor cause it seems like you can get parts for nothing....
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
I love my Hawk Pro. Easy to det up for training and later to configure for the type of 3D flying shown in the videos. IMHO, a great heli with the OS37.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick View Post
There are many videos on youtube of it performing 3D, but here is one of my favorites. The Toki 40 engine is no longer available but the new OS37 is about the same power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mno4LNRasI8
It's an error on you're part. Toki 40 sure has more power then OS 37. I run my helicopter very rich and hover around 25 percent of throttle which I have basic linear throttle curve. 0,25, 50, 75,100 pitch -3, 5, 10. I yet have to finish breaking in the engine. Will modified the setting soon so it does have more power then OS 37 with Toki muffler. Also Mecoa bought the company and machine while back. Mecoa is now manufacturing the engine. They are known of manufacturing K & B and other brand.
http://www.mecoa.com/toki/available.htm
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
It's an error on you're part. Toki 40 sure has more power then OS 37. I run my helicopter very rich and hover around 25 percent of throttle which I have basic linear throttle curve. 0,25, 50, 75,100 pitch -3, 5, 10. I yet have to finish breaking in the engine. Will modified the setting soon so it does have more power then OS 37 with Toki muffler. Also Mecoa bought the company and machine while back. Mecoa is now manufacturing the engine. They are known of manufacturing K & B and other brand.
http://www.mecoa.com/toki/available.htm
I ran my Hawk Pro initially on the OS32FX, then went to a Toki 40 which was a BIG step up in power. Unfortunately, after it wore out its 2nd rear bearing, I tried unsuccessfully, for almost a year, to get parts for it from Mecoa. I finally broke down and bought the higher priced OS37.

Now that the OS-37 is fully broken in and using a decent power muffler, I find it is very close, but not quite the power house of the Toki,.I do find the carb settings are much easier (user friendly) and parts are easy to come by if ever I would need a rear bearing, which is the part that all nitro engines need more often then any other.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Last edited by rotoraddict; Oct 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
I ran my Hawk Pro initially on the OS32FX, then went to a Toki 40 which was a BIG step up in power. Unfortunately, after it wore out its 2nd rear bearing, I tried unsuccessfully, for almost a year, to get parts for it from Mecoa. I finally broke down and bought the higher priced OS37.

Now that the OS-37 is fully broken in and using a decent power muffler, I find it is very close, but not quite the power house of the Toki,.I do find the carb settings are much easier (user friendly) and parts are easy to come by if ever I would need a rear bearing, which is the part that all nitro engines need more often then any other.
Very true Os is very easy to tune and it is a very good engine. I really loved the older one OS 32. What a sweet heart when it come to reliable and how easy to tune her. Have you ever tried calling Mecoa? You still have that engine? I'm going flying when I wake up and put more flights in it. But I don't have faith on OS when it comes to their 50 size heli engine nor higher due to ball bearings problem.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11