HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:02 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
DANG, Martha! These things are SHARP!!

Yup. Finally, after four years of this hobby I finally got in the way of a prop. Not just any prop mind you, but a brand new Aeronaut CF 11x8 folder with a Promaxx 4011 and 8x1300 KANs behind it. Earlier this week as I was changing it out I thought, "Jeez! I hope I don't get in the way of this thing." Well, I did but I think I actually got lucky.

I was out with a co-worker whom I've been teaching to be a real live R/C pilot and of course I've been harping on safety around these things. I had my Flipper on the tailgate of the truck getting ready to fly it when I bumped the throttle. The plane literally jumped off the tailgate straight up and the prop caught my right index and middle fingers right at the first knuckle alongside the nail. The index got three gashes and the middle received two. The cuts were fairly deep and of course plenty of blood on the ground. Jason grabbed a first aid kit out of his car and we got the bleeding stopped and my fingers bandaged once I got done hopping around.
I'll be hearing this at work since more than half the crew are R/C types.

This little note is just another reminder that just when you don't expect it...

No pics for you ghoulies. Sorry.

mw

PS: Oh. The plane's fine...
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:25 PM
Use The Force Jim
Las Cruces, NM USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,341 Posts
I can well imagine Mark! The other day I was working on my P47 which uses an APC 11-7. After doing the maintenance I was reinstalling the prop with adapter onto the gearbox shaft. I was tightening with the left and holding the prop with my right hand. The wrench slipped and the trailing edge of the prop moved about 3 inches in my right palm. Nice gash resulted. There wasn't that much force involved and I didn't really feel anything. I just looked over at my hand expecting to see a slight scratch and saw blood running down my palm. Those suckers are VERY sharp!
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:33 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. I've gotten in the habit of using the throttle kill switch on my Eclipse religiously. Sure, glitches happen anyway, but at least I won't be the cause if the thing goes berserk. Neck straps, hanging Tx and sticks almost got me once too! Heal quickly, -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:54 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,470 Posts
Mark, Ouch!

Not sure how you bumped the throttle, but this may be a good time to share this:

When I pick up a Tx, I use my left hand and pick it up on the left side, half way up on the Tx. Also, I approach the TX with a "thumbs up" type wave, if you follow.

Then my left thumb moves down and holds the throttle stick off, while I put on my strap, lift the plane, etc.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
(snip) Neck straps, hanging Tx and sticks almost got me once too! -thumbs
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:58 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
"darnit!"
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:01 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,725 Posts
Nasty stuff, i got cut fairly badly by an old Sp600 with 8*4.5 graupner prop a few years ago on 6 cells. I can only imagine what your prop would /potentially could have done.

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:25 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Re: DANG, Martha! These things are SHARP!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wood
Yup. Finally, after four years of this hobby I finally got in the way of a prop.
That's why you should stick to slope Mark. Even thought you might get taken out by a mini-weasle.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:44 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
Oops! Don't tell the SDS that I've been playing with powered stuff, OB.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:06 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wood
Oops! Don't tell the SDS that I've been playing with powered stuff, OB.

mw
Don't worry. As far as I'm concerned your secret is still in the closet.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:38 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Ouch Mark, I lost the tip of my left pinkie and had a fun time at the EM room a couple of years ago. Those props bite hard!!

Heal soon!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:48 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
No picts? I'm outta here!

Seriously though, that must have HURT! Sounds like a six "hopper" ouchie, minimum, to me.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:02 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,423 Posts
Um Ouch Mark , Mark , Mark the plane will be scarred for life I suggest you take it too a good therapist.

We tend to forget they are Circular Saws after all.

Hope ya back in the bang seat real soon and ya pupil has learned a really good lesson THEY BITE.

Reminds me of a video I got of a guy loading the battery into his Bandit like right through the Prop arc with both Hands !! DUH !!

Sluf7 (the undiced as yet)
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:44 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Mark,

Ouch. Sounds like you got bitten but good. Reminds me of a friend that just mounted a cobalt motor on a sailplane and was testing in the basement, managed 12 stitches between index and middle at the top knucle. He said he drove himself to the ER and had soaked a t shirt by the time he got there. I have been only nipped once. Then I made rules just like when I use a table saw (daily). Never waiver from the rules and procedures.

Hope you heal quick.

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight