New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2015, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by scottishslayer
Joined May 2008
38 Posts
Discussion
ZMR250 FPV Range non existent, SE Melb.

Hi there, this question has been asked a million times with a million different answers, so hopefully you can find an answer for me.

I have a pretty standard ZMR250 setup, and it flies great LOS, but the range on my FPV system is about 30-50 meters at best which has resulted in a few broken props.

To rule out any interference from the quad, I have completely removed the FPV system and have been testing it as a standalone unit. My setup is as follows:

- RC832 600mw receiver
- Have tried both 600mw TS832 and Aomway 200mw vtx's with almost no change in range.
- Range is seemingly unaffected by using either the stock whip antennas or the two different sets of matched CP antennas I have tried. Nothing of great quality CP antenna-wise, but I assume even with the whips in a straight LOS i should get more than 30-50m.

My receiver is powered by a 3s 1050mah, which also powers my Quanum V2 goggles. I also tried a larger battery to make sure everything was getting enough voltage.

Both the receiver and transmitter are getting 11-12.5V depending on the battery's state of charge.

All the antenna fittings match up correctly.

Finally, I made an LC Filter and put it on, with no change.

I haven't tried any other form of receiver as I'm doing this alone and don't know anyone else that can help me out. I'm in the East/South East suburbs of Melbourne if there are any locals willing to help!

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as its my first go at FPV and after putting a lot of work in to my first quad build it's been a pretty disheartening experience.

Thanks in advance
Craig
scottishslayer is offline Find More Posts by scottishslayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by 6KillaBC
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
374 Posts
I wish i could help you, i'm in sth east also, the other guys will help you i'm sure, and then maybe come along to the next Melbourne meet. The guys are great to talk to and have a wealth of experience mate, all the best! : )
6KillaBC is offline Find More Posts by 6KillaBC
Old Aug 05, 2015, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by rocketnz
Australia, NSW, North Bondi
Joined Apr 2013
459 Posts
your channels do not match. There is alot of confusion around this as the diagrams are probably showing the switches as black and white and the real switch could be blakc or white.

move all dip switches to extremes on both RX and TX, if you get no video, move the RX switches to the other extreme, you should get video.

range check.
rocketnz is offline Find More Posts by rocketnz
Old Aug 05, 2015, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2008
38 Posts
The TS832 and RC832 both have an LCD display for channel selection, so those are as simple as making sure both numbers are the same. Thanks for the quick help so far though guys
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
530 Posts
When you look at the VTX and its antenna, does one of them have a pin in the middle and the
other has a hole?

Similarly, when you look at the VRX and its antenna, does one of them have a pin in the middle and the other has a hole?
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old Aug 07, 2015, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by custards1
Australia
Joined Nov 2009
302 Posts
did the vtx get turned on without an antenna attached at any point? As that is what can cause this
custards1 is online now Find More Posts by custards1
Old Aug 07, 2015, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Fly it like you stole it!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2013
2,723 Posts
Come along to one of our weekly Tuesday night meets and get someone to have a look at your setup. Something doesn't sound right!

Deets on the meets can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2423703
DaZa_AU is online now Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:55 AM
Joined May 2008
38 Posts
Thanks for the help folks, upgraded to an ImmersionRC Uno v4 and all my problems have disappeared. Don't you just love buying brand new stuff thats faulty?!

I'd love to come to a meet, but I think I'll give myself a bit of time to get my head around everything first. Having a blast so far though!

Cheers
Craig