New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2015, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,923 Posts
Oh yeah.....and I maidened a new plane today. The molded EPO Zulu. It's a bit like a jumbo Alula, in that it's a foam plank that's mainly a sloper but can be tip launched. 60" (1.5m) span, 17.8 oz (505g) AUW. The really interesting part is it has leading edge control surfaces ("drooperons") linked to the elevons, which lower the stall speed and make it fly like a lighter plane. I just did some test glides today and tried a few tip launches. It's heavy compared to a 1.5m DLG. I had the most success doing full rotation low-speed DLG launches....got to maybe 50' on the best ones. At this weight it was hard to hold on to the wingtip if I tried to swing it harder. I'm going to stick some sandpaper to the tip for better grip (like I do on my small DLGs) and see if I can get some higher launches. There's some info and on-board video that shows the drooperons in action here

I have no financial connection to this product, just thought it deserved mention.

- Jim
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2015, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by sanman55
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,449 Posts
Saw that at aloft hobbies ...interesting...thanks for the info....I have always liked the different things in life...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55