New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Mar 2013
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGFlyer View Post
Jim , Will you be at E Week at Joe Nall?
I will not, but Frank my partner will be and under the Diamond Hobby Flag.

Jim
Diamond Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by coolgg
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
There is still hope for humanity! Does the lunch and beer include the return airfare to Ozzie Land ?
Lol 😁
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by wrongroad
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
1,001 Posts
G'day Capt MoMo,
When I win the next 60 million loto, I will bring everyone over here!
I just have win it.
The big problem is that I win the zeros all the time

Peter, when are you due home again?

coolgg, just be aware that the landing gear has landed on Australian grass and is a fair dinkum Aussie, now with international status (fair dinkum means true, honest)

This is a colour scheme that FMS did not do.
This model started out as the red and white version and took eight days working ten hour days to complete.
Her maiden flight was on the 8th January 2014 and then I messed up and landed hard (read almost a crash, well, a crash landing) at her very next flight in Toowoomba, Queensland which is what Rob Knox refers to from time to time Happy to admit it was my fault.

There were only six aircraft painted like this and each was slightly different so some research was required and Callie did the decals for me.

Regards and respect
Daryl

PS, believe it or not, she is really, really hard to see in all but bright sun light.
wrongroad is online now Find More Posts by wrongroad
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by Bilymac
Auburn, CA
Joined Feb 2009
278 Posts
Might be hard too see, but I love the colors!
Bilymac is offline Find More Posts by Bilymac
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by coolgg
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
217 Posts
Very nicely done - is it still flyable after the mishap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad View Post
G'day Capt MoMo,
When I win the next 60 million loto, I will bring everyone over here!
I just have win it.
The big problem is that I win the zeros all the time

Peter, when are you due home again?

coolgg, just be aware that the landing gear has landed on Australian grass and is a fair dinkum Aussie, now with international status (fair dinkum means true, honest)

This is a colour scheme that FMS did not do.
This model started out as the red and white version and took eight days working ten hour days to complete.
Her maiden flight was on the 8th January 2014 and then I messed up and landed hard (read almost a crash, well, a crash landing) at her very next flight in Toowoomba, Queensland which is what Rob Knox refers to from time to time Happy to admit it was my fault.

There were only six aircraft painted like this and each was slightly different so some research was required and Callie did the decals for me.

Regards and respect
Daryl

PS, believe it or not, she is really, really hard to see in all but bright sun light.
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
1,001 Posts
G'day coolgg,
Yeah mate she was fixable.
I only broke two prop blades, dislodged the nose gear doors, bent the nose gear and took a fraction of paint of the nose and I had plenty of paint for touch ups
It was all my fault as I let her get too slow on approach at a new airfield (no excuse) and dumped her from about fifteen feet. A hard full throttle burst of power and hard right aileron saved the most of the day but the flying was over for the day.
If you are keen, Rob Knox posted some flying pics here on this thread around the dates mentioned and they are nice pics.
If you do break the hinge lugs off the nose gear doors, they are easy to fix.
Drill out the mounting point and stick a toothpick into the hole and CA it into place. If you break it again just drill out the toothpick and do it again, and again and.............................

Regards and respect
Daryl
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilymac View Post
Might be hard too see, but I love the colors!
G'day Bilymac,
I fell in love with the scheme when I was looking to do something different to all the others around. I have an Air Force silver unit ( the full sized unit is based only three hundred kilometres away) and another club member also obtained one. So I wanted something different.
I emailed the Philippines Air Force to see if they would send me a colour scheme of one of their planes but I am still waiting for a reply.
I am married to a Filippina and I wanted to do something to surprise her and the in laws. It was not to be.
So, the drone control scheme it became.
I peeled all the red paint off by rubbing it with my thumb and eventually it would lift off the foam and come off in big strips. What remained, I lifted off with masking tape by dabbing the sticky over the paint. This part took nearly two days and a sore thumb
I also removed all the decals and worked the roughed up area over with Deluxe wonderfill and Deluxe foam armour. Two great products indeed.
The scheme allowed itself to be painted as the unassembled unit and then put together as per normal.
If I were to do another, I would leave the paint to dry for at least six weeks before applying the decals and flying it. The paint was very soft at first but is quite hard now.
I used wet newspaper to mask the stripes and I had to work quickly here as it was over thirty eight degrees C (100*F) and low humidity on that day and the paper would dry out quickly. On other days, during the painting process, it was 38* + and 90% humidity and I was getting a good cup full of water out of the water trap every hour!
The crew have had a bit of surgery to make them look different to each other as well as a bit of paint.
The canopy green tint is Tamiya clear green and did not come out quite as see through as I would have liked but it is OK and throws a green tint through the cockpit.
The cockpit surrounds have been decked out in 0.9mm balsa and this eliminates the Gator effect that the good old Aussie sun can have on foam. I do this on all my models.
All in all, it was a long project from the initial research to the finished product, but it is different and does attract attention at the flying fields and on static display.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by ebuilder
Nelson, BC, CANADA
Joined Feb 2003
112 Posts
Nice job wrongroad. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the work involved.

I have some Tamiya clear ready to go on my canopy as well. I'll have to look at how to thin it. At the same time, I'd be happy if it turned out as well as yours. Did you mask the canopy with the wet newspaper as well? Any chance at a close up view of the pilots?
ebuilder is offline Find More Posts by ebuilder
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
1,001 Posts
G'day ebuilder,
I thin Tamiya paints with what we call metho (for short) which is known as white spirit, alcohol and ethanol.
I used insulation tape to mask the canopy and painted on the inside with the frame of the canopy being masked the same way and painted on the outside.
The insulation tape bends to suit the contours of the canopy better than masking tape. I use the wet paper trick simply because any tape would have pulled up the base coat and because the day was so hot, the paper was drying out quickly so I had to give the paper a quick spray of water from a spray bottle, wait a few seconds for the over spray to evaporate off the foam and then use the airbrush making sure that I sprayed the paint from the paper side so the paint would not go under the masking as the only thing holding it down is the water tension.
I do not have any real good photos of the the crew but I will see what I can do any way.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by ebuilder
Nelson, BC, CANADA
Joined Feb 2003
112 Posts
Thanks for the info and pic Daryl.
ebuilder is offline Find More Posts by ebuilder
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby View Post
LOL,

OK, here is the word from the factory, They are working on V4, the currently working cowl flaps are going to be removed to save on cost for the "Metal" struts. The struts will retrofit, so I am told for the V3's. still checking on the V2. Will not work on the original T-28 (V1).

The prototype I have work great in taxing. Will fly this weekend despite the heat.

Mass production of the V4 is about to start. I expect shipment late September early October, so be patient a little longer and put on your Christmas shopping list.

Jim
Jim, If one was to dig out the complete landing gear assembly including the plastic "case" that it is mounted in, surely a V4 system could be fitted into the landing gear cavity in a V1 frame? Quite a few V1's have been upgrade to V2's and V3's by doing this and if a V2 or V3 can be upgraded to V4 this way, why not a V1?

Or are FMS changing the molds?
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by captain MoMo
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
5,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby View Post
LOL,

OK, here is the word from the factory, They are working on V4, the currently working cowl flaps are going to be removed to save on cost for the "Metal" struts. The struts will retrofit, so I am told for the V3's. still checking on the V2. Will not work on the original T-28 (V1).

The prototype I have work great in taxing. Will fly this weekend despite the heat.

Mass production of the V4 is about to start. I expect shipment late September early October, so be patient a little longer and put on your Christmas shopping list.

Jim
Hi Jim,

The above is 15 days ago. Did you ever test fly the struts as noted above? Any word on if they will fit teh V2 and when they will be available? Need to decide on Xmas list soon

Thanks
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member