SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by slow_flier
United States, PA, Pottstown
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Build Log
Stahl Rearwin Speedster`

Today, I paused work on the Eastbourne for a few weeks and started a new, smaller project. Here at the start of the indoor season, I find that I am in need of a new plane. I have several small birds, a Vapor, a Stevens Rockett, a Stevens C140 and a Mountain Models SpookE. All of these fly well but are small and in some of the larger venues, seem to get lost against the walls.

So.... I've been looking for something a bit larger that will stand out against the scenery and, yet, still fly slowly enough to fly in some of the smaller indoors. To this end I've been searching around and came upon the work of Earl Stahl. He has several designs that might fit my needs. Two of these made the cut ( the Rearwin Speedster and the Howard DGA 9) but the Speedster won out due to its simpler lines.

I then had to make a choice between the original Stahl design and the updated version marketed by Flyline Models. While certain aspects of the Flyline model were tempting, the lack of formers on the plan made the original design, that was complete, made it the model of choice for this build.

The model is 28" in wing span and I would like an all up weight to be between 4 and 5 ounces giving a wing loading of between 5 and 6 ounces per square foot. My intent is to use a Turnigy 1811 2900Kv on 2 cells. This should provide about 50 watts on a 5x3 prop.

I spent most of today cutting the kit and laminating the wing tips, elevator, stabilizer, fin and rudder. Stahl didn't do it this way but I prefer it. I still need to put lightening holes into the wing ribs but its getting there.
slow_flier is offline Find More Posts by slow_flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,759 Posts
Cool beans! I love his work...
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Its been a couple of days since I first posted the start of this build. Since then I haven't had a lot of time to work on the Rearwin. However tonight I had a couple of hours and managed to frame up one side of the fuselage central box. Once I get both sides assembled I will join them and start adding formers and stringers.

The rest of the electronics should be here on Friday so I guess I'll have to build the firewall and the landing gear bulkhead (the only pieces built from 1/16" ply). I will probably add a 1/64" doubler to the inside of each "box" to tie everything in the front end together. I'm try and keep these pieces to a minimum but feel some reinforcing is required to absorb the repeated stress of landing. With the additional weight of the electronics, I feel that I need a little strength in the gear and motor mount areas. Besides, a little nose weight is probably a good thing.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:36 AM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,142 Posts
Your build is looking good so far!
1811 should make a good power system.

Always liked the speedster and have this plan in my stash.
Where did you get those cool clamps?

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
They come from Mark Frielander's RetroRC (http://retrorc.us.com/buildingjigsystem.aspx)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Well, there has been a bit of progress over the last couple of days, I've managed to get both fuselages assembled and have started to put them together.

I find that these little planes are sometimes slower and harder to build than their big brothers. They seem to have as many parts and due to their size, are harder to handle and fit.

Its starting to come together.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
its been a very quite weekend in my household so I've had a fair amount of time to work. When I last reported, I had just started joining the fuselage sides.

Since then, I've completed the fuselage joining and built the lower cowl hatch, built and installed the landing gear and installed the nose formers and stringers. These areas are all places in which I made some deviations from the original design.

The lower hatch is sheeted with 1/16 balsa instead of balsa stringer this is primarily for strength. It is held in place in the front with a small dowel ( a piece of toothpick) and a magnet in the rear.

Like the lower hatch, I'made a change for improved strength. In this case, I've replaced the 1/16 balsa stringers with bass. Being ahead of the CG, I hope the added weight will not hurt.

The landing gear is made from 0.047" MW and sewn to the 1/16 ply bulkhead with 9 pound kevlar thread. All is then locked in place with a couple of drops of thin CA.

I'm getting ready to close the belly up with stringers and think I have to stop and work out the radio while I still have access.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
A quick question. How much heavier is basswood than balsa?

I'm having trouble finding a local source of straight grained, hard balsa. I'm thinking of replacing some of the more exposed 1/16” square side stringers with basswood leaving the top and bottom ones medium balsa. Thoughts?
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:15 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,142 Posts
It's about the same or a tad heavier than hard balsa. I use bass for stringers a lot.
I figure having a model I can pick up without breaking something is worth the small weight penalty.
I also like Guillows kit strip wood. It is hard straight grain wood.
Glenn
Old Feb 03, 2015, 06:29 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Thanks Glenn. That's sorta what I thought.

So I went ahead and used 1/16" bass for the side stringers and the first two short ones on each side. I will probably use medium balsa to finish the bottom stringers and the top rear ones when I close up the fuselage.

At this point, I'm starting to install the radio. I'm using two Eflite 3.5gram for the flight surfaces and an Eflite AR6310 nano receiver. These are leftovers from an E-flite Cessna 150 Aerobat that I had for a couple of years. The two servos are glued onto the ply sides under the front side windows. At the moment, the receiver is tucked into the space between the formers above the trust line.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 06:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
OOPs! Its the starboard window.

At this point the weight is 39.5 grams (1.4 ounces).

The next step seems to figure out the push rods for the rudder and elevator. I'm probably going to use 0.031" wire and a couple of guides. As little weight as possible behind the wing.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Well I managed to get some time over the weekend to make some progress on installing the motor. I had to change the motor from the Turnigy to an E-flite Park 180, one of the slid wire motor wires broke in place I couldn't fix.

So, here a couple of pics showing the sequence showing the nose before the motor went in and then a couple showing the motor in place. Then a couple showing the nose block being installed and in rough form.

Finally the stabilizer and elevator being assembled.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:42 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,142 Posts
Looking good! I like your hatch, looks like the same way I construct one.
You might want to consider adding a couple of degrees of down and right thrust.
Glenn
Old Feb 09, 2015, 03:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
If I built it right, it should have 2 down and 2 to the right.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
305 Posts
Well, I've made a little progress in spite of family travel, a busy work week and a head cold. I've started installing the push rods and find that I'm out of 0.031 MW. In addition, my JST to Universal adapter that allows me to plug the ESC into the nano radio receiver, has a broken wire inside the JST plug and I can't fix it. ( a new one is on order).

So I moved onto the wings. The right wing is almost complete, I need to add the LE and TE and root rib. I shoul be able to complete the panel tomorrow if I feel up to it after work.

This little bird is starting to get heavy. At this point, the uncovered fuselage, tail feathers and complete electronic package (motor, esc, 2 servos and a 450mah 2S battery) is weighing in at 97.5 grams ( a bit over 3.4 ounces). I still need to complete the wings and landing gear. Hopefully, I'll make it all work at less than 5 ounces.