SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by martin34
Joined Dec 2008
171 Posts
Discussion
bigger sport cub s?

I am going to buy a super cub s on pay day but I am wandering if Hobbyzone are going to bring out super cub sized sport cub in the near future.I know you have the eflite cubs but the don't have the safe training modes.The Apprentice is nice but a little to big for my flying field
martin34 is offline Find More Posts by martin34
Last edited by martin34; Jan 18, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin34 View Post
I am going to buy a super cub s on pay day but I am wandering if Hobbyzone are going to bring out super cub sized sport cub in the near future.I know you have the eflite cubs but the don't have the safe training modes.The Apprentice is nice but a little to big for my flying field
I agree- Something with a couple (2) inches longer wing and a inch longer with an extra 40 Grams weight would get my $$$.
But the bigger and heavier - The more damage inflicted in crashes?
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
10,001 Posts
put a SAFE Rx in the PZ Sport Cub and fly it. ask here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135213 how to do that.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by brianm333
Joined Oct 2014
9 Posts
Look a the Super Cub S
brianm333 is offline Find More Posts by brianm333
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,096 Posts
There's a new lower price for super sport cub s which is a great deal $169.95 is a lot of plane for the price and what comes with it would cost a lot.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papadwight; Feb 19, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin34 View Post
Personally I'd say learn to fly the Cub S, then ensure you buy something withOUT the SAFE Rx in. AS3X or similar is brilliant. But you need to learn how to fly and not rely on SAFE.

Think of SAFE like stabilisers on a push bike, you really shouldn't be using them after your first bike, if at all.
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post
Personally I'd say learn to fly the Cub S, then ensure you buy something withOUT the SAFE Rx in. AS3X or similar is brilliant. But you need to learn how to fly and not rely on SAFE.

Think of SAFE like stabilisers on a push bike, you really shouldn't be using them after your first bike, if at all.
I get what you are saying.I have bought the super cub but haven't flown it yet.I have been practicing with my champ.I doubt I will fly the super cub in beginner mode as I don't like the idea of it hardly turning.I will more than likely maiden it in intermediate and if I feal comfortable I will flip it into experienced mode.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:23 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
330 Posts
Trouble is, SAFE is still there, it's a physiological backup. You always have the "Oh F**K" button should you mess up.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just it can make people believe they are expert pilots, when they aren't. A lesson they soon learn by jumping to an advanced model without SAFE.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
171 Posts
Quote:
Trouble is, SAFE is still there, it's a physiological backup. You always have the "Oh F**K" button should you mess up.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just it can make people believe they are expert pilots, when they aren't. A lesson they soon learn by jumping to an advanced model without SAFE.
I plan on going brush less with the super cub in the future so safe will be gone
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,281 Posts
Quote:

I wouldn't mind having a panic button on all my planes and helicopters... If I never use it, great, but if it saves me from a crash, GREAT! If that's a crutch, so be it. If a crutch like that saves me from a crashed plane, I'm all for it....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:14 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I wouldn't mind having a panic button on all my planes and helicopters... If I never use it, great, but if it saves me from a crash, GREAT! If that's a crutch, so be it. If a crutch like that saves me from a crashed plane, I'm all for it....
It would require a huge amount of discipline not to use it though. And if you that disciplined, then you probably don't need it anyhow.

As I've said, I'm not directly against SAFE. But my issue is, it promotes flying and relying on it. You do something wrong, rather than:

a) figure how out to solve it
and
b) figure out what not to do to cause it in the first place

you

c) hit the panic button and think no more of it.

SAFE for a pilot who can already fly well makes much more sense, as when you are pushing the envelope (either yourself or the aircraft), then mistakes can happen. Or if you are flying a larger, more expensive more delicate model. Then SAFE is additional insurance.

But as a beginner, no. It just promotes bad habits and hides mistakes.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
What tree?
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
3,316 Posts
Cut ailerons into a spare Super Cub wing and call it done. It's super-easy.

Also, don't rely on SAFE. Once you're competent with the airplane you don't need it anymore.

It kind of annoys me that Horizon's promoting SAFE on aerobatic aircraft, warbirds and even EDF jets. Anyone who's competent enough to fly an EDF jet shouldn't need SAFE...
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:40 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Cut ailerons into a spare Super Cub wing and call it done. It's super-easy.

Also, don't rely on SAFE. Once you're competent with the airplane you don't need it anymore.

It kind of annoys me that Horizon's promoting SAFE on aerobatic aircraft, warbirds and even EDF jets. Anyone who's competent enough to fly an EDF jet shouldn't need SAFE...
I think it's only so they can over charge tbh. I really wanted the UMX Habu. But now only available with SAFE for 50% more money again. It's a rip off.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,281 Posts
Personaly, I would rather be a slave to SAFE than end my flying day and have to repair my plane. End of story.

That said, if you have the capacity to be a great pilot, you wont rely on the panic any longer than you need to, and if you DONT have the capacity to be a great pilot, you will crash a lot less using the panic button, either way its a win, so what's the problem?

Not everyone has the time or weather to practice enough to become a top notch pilot. Even people who can only get out to fly once or twice a month deserve to get as much stick time as possible when they do get the chance to fly.

SAFE makes that possible....

Rather than:
Go out, first flight you make a mistake and crash, then
a) figure how out to solve it
and
b) figure out what not to do to cause it in the first place
and then go home and repair the plane, then put it away for 2-4 weeks until the next time your free time happens to coincide with good weather, by which time you have probably forgotten whatever the lesson was...

you

c) hit the panic button a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶. and get to keep flying so that you CAN learn from the mistake....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by cyclops2
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,591 Posts
I just converted the brushed Super Cub to a equal sized B P hobbies 3500 KV heli motor Vertical on 1/2 throttle. Like it. Needed to do some Dremel grinding work. But worth it.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2