HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Got my pair of Ammo motors yesterday. Don't think I'll use them in my 262. The weight of one motor is 100g! The electronics alone would weigh 540g! Don't think I'll manage to get under 900g with this setup which is the thrust what the Hyperflows would produce on 3s LiPo.
Tobbe is offline Find More Posts by Tobbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
12 Posts
very nice
hunterx is offline Find More Posts by hunterx
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Apr 2005
47 Posts
Very nice? as i said hyperflows are a garbage...they are discontinued at last!
javierospina is offline Find More Posts by javierospina
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,145 Posts
262 flaps

Good work there...How did you link the flaps?? Do you have any pic's with more detail..I did some flaps on my Durafly HK DH-100 and hope to "capture" and ME-262 soon.. any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2TINKR View Post
Greetings all,

After a busy week, I was able to get back to my build Thursday night and a few hours more last night and the plane was ready for a test flight (minus paint). All systems are installed and operational and tested. There are still some reinforcements that I would like to install for the nose gear area but the airframe weight has already ballooned to just over 900 grams or 32 oz, with the 8.9 oz battery I was looking at 41 oz for a take off weight. This works out to about 22 oz / ft^2 wing loading so I decided to do the maiden before adding any more weight of any shape or form. I did paint the cockpit area and added a home-made luftwaffe jockey before gluing te canopy on. I also just taped the nose cone in place for now, I need to make it removabe for service access to the nose retract so it needs to be removable.

I soldered up a brand new 2200, 45/90 C nano-tech 4-cell and charged it up. First test showed 63 amp at approximately 900 watts Thrust was good too, it almost seemed 1:1. I re-charged the pack after my short test and went to bed fo an early start today.

The weather was cool and a stiff breeze was already up by 8:30 am. We're not allowed to fly until 9:30 so we cooled our heels while we waited. I realized I didn't have my camera so if the plane was lost on the maiden, I wouldn't have any record of the event but I was already set up so decided to go without any video

After flying some of my other planes, and with the wind picking up, I decided to go for it. The first attempt to take off resulted in a near disaster as one main gear wheel locked up on application of full throttle resulting in a spin. I used 3 mm bolts as axles and the one that was being "tightened" by the wheel rotation torqued up and locked the wheel. A little CA on the bolt and a quick adjustment on all the wheels and she was ready for another try. I rolled on the throttle smoothly and the fans went on song after a couple of seconds, she took off down the runway at an incredible rate and I held off from applying any elevator as advised by the group. After it seemd like she was going 50 or 60 mph, she lifted off without my prying and started a fairly steep climb out. It was not too sudden and I applied a little bit of forward stick to keep her from ballooning. Gear up, turn downwind and throttle back to around 70% and she was cruising really fast. Everyone on the flight line is saying stuff like wow, holy shxx, etc. The trim was a little nose heavy so I trimmed that out. Roll rate with the reduced length ailerons was just fine on my low rates which were set to 60% with 20% expo. I also mixed in 30% rudder into my ailerons and the turns were nice and groovy just needing aileron input and then elevator to adust the radius. I wanted to test the stall so I climbed high and throttle back with zero flaps and the gear up. She seemingly hovered into the 12~15 mph breeze and then snapped into a stall by dropping the left wing. I powered back up knowing that she will slow down reasonably well for the landing. The high wing loading required a fairly high throttle setting and she would start decending at anything below half throttle. After another couple of circuits I came in for the landing. Apprximately 1/3 throttle and full flaps resulted in a nice approach and a nice landing into the breeze. I remebered to breathe afer that.

Overall, the plane did not fly like a brick as I had feared . Now that I know it flies fairly well, I'm going to add a little bit of reinforcement around the nose gear and apply a paint job. Here are the stats of my plane at the time of maiden:

All up weight: 1163 grams (41 oz)

C.G. 65 mm from wing joint

wing loading: 22.4 oz/ft^2

Power: 900 watts

LK2TINKR
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
some photos by Ron Keith at Circlecityfliers.com

My 55mm EDF mod GWS 262
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:43 AM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
My 55mm EDF mod GWS 262
Great photos! You really did a nice job with the paint and details. Thanks for sharing!
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Thanks SDave!

Actually she has been flying too good that I am not willing to do retract mods. Most importantly I learned how to repair and build my own models from working with all these inexpensive GWS kits. I just finished two 90% scratchbuild models, 40" wingspan Fokker Dr 1 and a 66" long Concorde, shown in my RCG blog. I actually used the two green 3900kv GWS inrunners that came with the GWS 262 kit for the Concorde. On hind thought, my 262 might run well on the original 3900kv motor for 55mm EDF, whereas the Concorde desperately calls for more power.
Last edited by edwen303; Jan 15, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,198 Posts
Did you try 4s with the green weenies?

I never did, but some claimed....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Did you try 4s with the green weenies?

I never did, but some claimed....
The Concorde with the green GWS 3900kv draws around 30A with 4s 2200mah 40C battery. In fact the Concorde is so heavy that only full throttle at 4s would make her take off and still underpowered. 15A for the inrunner might be the limit. For winter this might be okay.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Hi edwen, it looks so much better with the smaller nacelles. Nice job! I like the paint!
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:46 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Is there a 50mm fan with a reasonable power output now?

I saw one advertised at 330g thrust, but I doubt a pair of those would be much fun..
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
I have a pair of JPower 50mm EDF 4200kv? units taken out from JPower Su-34. They seems having good powers according to this link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557206

Some others claimed using this unit with 4s and 40A esc to get more power. But my units are not running very smooth and the case is very flimsy causing too much vibrations and rubbing the fan unit. The little Su-34 was then converted to pusher and flew great since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
Is there a 50mm fan with a reasonable power output now?

I saw one advertised at 330g thrust, but I doubt a pair of those would be much fun..
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Is there consensus best bet for retracts for this bird? Looking to retrofit some to mine as well as maybe the inner flaps.

Regards
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
I have been contemplating on taildragger setup all the while (the first edition of full scale Me-262), just to minimize the retrofit work and less weight. Tricycle setup adds some weight on the nose, battery hatch has to be relocated, perhaps under canopy?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:33 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
OK i hit another snag with this plane, well actually snags are all there have been with this bird. I got it in the air again w/ the new motors and one screeched pretty bad at mid to 3/4 throttle. it was also tail heavy so I added some lead and now the screechy motor has given out.

I also made a new battery hatch in front to accept bigger batteries if necessary so i want to remotor/fan this thing yet again but I was hoping to get some recommendations on reasonably priced balanced 64mm motor/fan combinations. This is for 3s but if it could tolerate 4s that would be a bonus.

THanks
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe