HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM
United States, GA, Twin City
Joined Oct 2013
27 Posts
Discussion
Need .40 Sized ARF for Short Grass Field

What is a good .40-sized ARF for a short grass field? I have a Tweety .40, but it comes in too hot to get it whoa'ed up before I run out of runway.
Killerofplanes is offline Find More Posts by Killerofplanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:45 PM
Destroyer of Balsa
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
Are you running nitro or elec. I just maidened mine today running the suggested G32 Gforce motor and the 12x6 pro and i thought it was a dog. Very stable but by no means a speed demon.
bigoof is online now Find More Posts by bigoof
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:12 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
818 Posts
Get one of the "ugly stick" type airplanes and set it up with flaprons, they are a hoot! The Great Planes 40 size is a good flyer.

You might want to look at a flater pitch prop too, that will slow down the approach speed of what you are flying.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Oct 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoof View Post
Are you running nitro or elec. I just maidened mine today running the suggested G32 Gforce motor and the 12x6 pro and i thought it was a dog. Very stable but by no means a speed demon.
I'm running a .46 ASP Nitro. The problem is magnified because there are trees at either end you have to drop down over.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
Get one of the "ugly stick" type airplanes and set it up with flaprons, they are a hoot! The Great Planes 40 size is a good flyer.

You might want to look at a flater pitch prop too, that will slow down the approach speed of what you are flying.

L.
I've been looking at them (Ugly Sticks), I'll try the flatter prop first. Thanks for the tip. I'll try the flaprons, too.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:09 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
818 Posts
Remember flaprons can go both ways, so they can operate as spoilers too. Try that at least two mistakes high! It works. If you are using a computer radio, set the elevator up with the spoilers to control your rate of decent. Also set the timer in the flap section so they are slowed down, I usually use 4 seconds that makes them gentler on the airframe.

Enjoy

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer