SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2014, 11:40 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
Contest
Scale Build-Off 3 Napier-Heston Racer

here's my entry, the Nuffield-Napier-Heston Racer of 1938. Built as a planned World Speed record breaker using the brand new Napier Sabre Engine, which went on to power the Typhoon and Tempest. WWII got in the way so it only managed one flight in which the pilot crashed by stalling about 30 ft of the runway. Wartime pressures resulted in the airplane being abandoned. Would have made a useful trials airplane for sorting out the Sabre.
I've attached a write-up on the plane from Flight Magazine of 1943.
Plan is in work, more info to follow:

Ivor
fuelsguy is online now Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Last edited by fuelsguy; Jan 02, 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: request from reader
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:31 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,718 Posts
Good luck and have fun !

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:14 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,608 Posts
A real interesting airplane, I'll be watching your build.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:48 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,342 Posts
Cool project, Ivor. I'm building a Typhoon and I thought that nose looked familiar. How big is this one?

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:17 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Just a nota bene, you could change the thread category to "Contest", so folk can search/sort to find all the contest threads easier.

This is a slick airplane, and, as a fan of the Typhoon, holds some interest to me!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:25 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
How do I change the category to Contest?

Hi Jeff, thought you might be around this. I seem to be on a Typhoon/Tempest binge, I built a Dynam Tempest, then one converted to a Tempest II with a Centaurus Engine, then converted one to a Typhoon using a FW190 wing set.
Wingspan for the Racer is 54"
Ivor
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:33 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy View Post
How do I change the category to Contest?

Hi Jeff, thought you might be around this. I seem to be on a Typhoon/Tempest binge, I built a Dynam Tempest, then one converted to a Tempest II with a Centaurus Engine, then converted one to a Typhoon using a FW190 wing set.
Wingspan for the Racer is 54"
Ivor
As the Original Poster, you head up to the first post. Somewhere towards the top there is a drop-down menu where you can select the category.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:34 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
James, thanks, found it, changed it.
Hope other people use/change to "contest" as well.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:43 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
Some more info on my design. I'll use Depron as it's my go-to modeling foam. Current plan is to use 6mm Depron as a side view and plan view and glue the two together in a cruciform and add cross sections to create the fuselage shape. Then skin it in 3mm Depron.
I've used this approach several times in the past and gives a reasonably scale fuselage.
I've attached a photo of an earlier plane, an F6F to show the idea. When all the bits are glued in position I take a soldering gun and hack out lots of Depron to save weight.
I have most of the fuselage drawn up,but family events are slowing me down

Ivor
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:05 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,964 Posts
I have a ton of info on that one, and actually started drawing it out , even using retracts and LH prop Glad to see someone doing it.

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
Here's a three view of the Racer from 3 vues free fr site
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:48 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,445 Posts
Cool! I've got freeflight rubber plans for that one.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:02 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,441 Posts
Since this is a design/build contest, I'll try and post parts of the design as I get them finished or close to finished to illustrate the design process.
I've attached a pdf of the fuselage cross sections that I need to layout the parts to be cut.
The trick here is to use the available side and plan views and create a set of stations where a frame is needed. In this case it's a straightforward "frame at every so many inches". Sometimes you have to juggle the frame locations to get a better fit to the shape or to match major components, like the wing.
At each station I take the maximum width and maximum height and look at available cross sections (if any) and fair/guess a line to create the frame. Repeat this for each frame, then lay them one on top of each other and adjust to get a set of cross sections that match each other with no violent step changes. In boat design, (which I did sometime in the past), the designer would create cross sections through the boat at several angles, not just vertical and horizontal. By fairing the diagonals as well as the plan and side views you can get a nice faired fuselage.
I also spend time thinking about what the airplane designer was trying to do with the available tools of the day.
At some time you say enough is enough and quit.

Ivor
Old Jan 02, 2014, 08:37 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,798 Posts
Very cool subject.
Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:33 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,663 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ivor! I'll add you to the list of registrants. Should I put you in the professional or amateur category?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85