HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:17 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,380 Posts
congratz on the remaiden, it shure looks sweet now, you did an excellent job, be proud, and I hope you keep her in the air along time!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
599 Posts
A crummy video update: The Avistar is flying great!! The more I fly this plane, the more I am disappointed that it was discontinued. I really think this is just a great all around plane. If I were to change anything I did in my rebuild, I would have made it a bolt on wing. I little more rigid wing mounting would be nice. This video isn't that great since I filmed it with a GoPro, but it does show it in action.

Rebuilt Avistar on a Breezy Afternoon in SE Idaho (11 min 5 sec)
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:48 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Great job of bringing back your Avistar! It looks really good in those colors too.....Gene
gene6029 is online now Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:57 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,216 Posts
Rovers, nice work on the Avistar!

I learned to fly on the Hobbistar, the Avistar's bigger brother. I've heard they have similar flight characteristics... and it's still being made. My LHS here in Canada has the ARF version for $180.

New at the start of training:

On bigger tires for the grass field:

After being dumb-thumbed into a tree:

Left the port leading edge and tip up there:

After the repair, converted to a tail dragger and flying on skis earlier this year. I haven't flown it since:

This winter it's getting more work. The OS 65 LA has come out and will be replaced by a DLE 20 gas engine. I am going to fabricate a custom cowl, and I hope to convert the wings to nylon bolts.
grosbeak is online now Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:07 AM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
599 Posts
The Hobbistar looks great! It does look like it would have similar flight characteristics, just a bit bigger in size. The Avistar will definitely go on skis with winter. I am a year round flyer, I can't see letting a little snow and cold stopping me. Nice work on the rebuild!
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad