HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
the motor from the Bixler1 and Bixler2 are identical in size and shape (i watched a review video on youtube) and the motor housing is the same size too. What they've done with the B2 however, is change the way in which the motor is mounted. on the B1 there was a wooden mount (almost like a chopped down broom handle) inside that hole, and the motor was screwed to that. this time they've gone with the plastic mount.

here's a picture from earlier in this thread showing the adjustable motor mount from readymaderc.com fitted to a Bixler2:

excellent pic, thanks for that. How did you mount the piece into the plane though? Glue? Thanks.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
excellent pic, thanks for that. How did you mount the piece into the plane though? Glue? Thanks.
that's not my Bixler, I grabbed the picture from earlier in the thread.

But the original motor mount is removed and the aluminium mount slides into the cylindrical hollow and is secured with glue. I will be using Gorilla Glue when mine arrives.

These pictures show the 3 different positions you can have your motor mounted, in order to accommodate larger props: (pics from readymaderc.com website)
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
excellent, thanks again.

Flew again today, in pretty windy conditions. I continue to be disappointed in the performance. Mine also wanted to dive all the time, even moving the battery pretty far back towards the motor. Fixed my flaps and slowed them down once triggered..I love flaps. Over 30 minutes on a 2200 battery, it was that windy.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,340 Posts
Quote:
excellent, thanks again.

Flew again today, in pretty windy conditions. I continue to be disappointed in the performance. Mine also wanted to dive all the time, even moving the battery pretty far back towards the motor. Fixed my flaps and slowed them down once triggered..I love flaps. Over 30 minutes on a 2200 battery, it was that windy.

It dives when you put the power to it but level flight with less or no power? If that's the case you need to move the battery forward and re-trim the elevator. You'll have to put a bunch more up trim into the plane. Then when you punch the throttle -- the plane elevator will have more authority (more up) and you'll not see the dive -- or less of it.

It's counter-intuitive -- but give it a try and see if that doesn't make a difference.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
it was really hard to tell given how windy it was, I'll tinker with it when the wind dies down. Good advice, thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:57 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
that's not my Bixler, I grabbed the picture from earlier in the thread.

But the original motor mount is removed and the aluminium mount slides into the cylindrical hollow and is secured with glue. I will be using Gorilla Glue when mine arrives.

These pictures show the 3 different positions you can have your motor mounted, in order to accommodate larger props: (pics from readymaderc.com website)
I couldnt find it anywhere in that website I woild like to order a couple.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:17 PM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
i bought mine from ebay , a carbon copy of that mount, on a bixler 1 but the same item and configuration

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobby-King...item256b05150b

the guy is US based as well i believe.

hope that helps

Mick.
michaeljohng is offline Find More Posts by michaeljohng
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=108

ships from santa barbra CA i belive
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
376 Posts
readymaderc.com http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Quote:
Hi...that's my pic and bixler 2. I just glued the engine mount in with some 15 minute epoxy, it feels nice and solid. Maiden this weekend hopefully if weather is good.
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Your Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella65 View Post
Hi...that's my pic and bixler 2. I just glued the engine mount in with some 15 minute epoxy, it feels nice and solid. Maiden this weekend hopefully if weather is good.
Please take a video to share with everyone. TIA.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Will do...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Your review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
Hi AJ,

I'm a complete novice - this is my first plane. Prior to I didn't even make models. I chose the ARF because just gluing the pieces together was nerve wracking enough for me. I didn't want to stuff anything up. :-)

However - now after owning one, and if I had a little bit more experience and could trust myself (like you obviously can) - I would go with the Kit over the ARF.

There are a couple of things that concern me about the ARF that could be fixed if you have the kit:

Firstly, I don't like the motor. (Well - to be more precise, I don't like the wire connected to the motor). I found that it's pretty thin and breaks quite easily. It's also too short (by about 20mm or more) for my liking. It's difficult to work with.

Secondly, I don't like the screw casing that is in the fuselage (where the screws go in). It restricts the room you have in there, and from what I can tell there are much better ways to secure the wings on than this method. As the body is already pre-glued, you have to pull the glue apart to get it out.

If it wasn't for these two issues, I'd have no worries suggesting the ARF, but considering you seem to have a bit of knowledge about model building - my suggestion would be the Kit form re the reasons above.

HTH
Thank You. Great review. I will get the KIT based on your recommendation. Oh, BTW, just because I have a lot of posts does not mean that I am smarter than anyone else. In fact, everyone here knows more about the Bixler 2 than I do because I don't have one yet. Still, though, thanks again. I am going to go look for a video in this thread.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
For the Aussies .... Bixler 2 kit now available in Aus warehouse..
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
My planned bixler build:

FPV transmitter, HUD board, two 5.000 MAH (10.000 MAH) batteries for long times.

Has anyone tried FPV with the new Bixler???
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur