HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:37 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,399 Posts
Discussion
Help needed for mixing twin engines to rudder- Futaba

I am using the Futaba 10C, and am having a hard time putting my electric motors on separate channels.

I slaved the Aux to the throttle channel and plugged motor two into Aux and motor one into Thro.

the slaved channel (Aux) dos not start the motor until past 50% throttle.

Ideally I want to mix the motors to the rudder channel- but I am getting very frustrated with this programming...

Any guidance is much appreciated.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,399 Posts
I would greatly appreciate it if another member might be able to step up and help me out with some tips...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,312 Posts
I can only offer general advice, as I'm not familiar with your specific transmitter, but maybe someone else who is will step in.

First general advice. Never experiment with motor settings and mixes with the model plugged in! Do all your setup work using the transmitter's display screen. It will tell you everything you need to know without the risk of motors starting!

Second, the issue with the slaved second throttle channel only starting at mid throttle is a matter of mix settings. Maybe you only set the mix for the up side of trhe curve (there are normally two numbers that must be set, like +100% and -100%). If that doesn't do it, there should be an offset number. Try -100%. Look at the results on the display screen, which is far more informative than whether the motor starts!

Third, once you've got the two throttle channels working in unison, which should be very easy, you will need to look at the steering mix. The first thing to recognize is that the mixes you want are from rudder to the two throttles, not throttle to rudder as you describe it.

The following may give you some ideas as to how the various mixes are set up in general terms. It's not about Futaba but the principles are the same.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2483

Note that the key term for searching is "differential throttle".

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Here's what Futaba says:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-10c-2_4ghz-q1168.html
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jul 23, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,399 Posts
You are a Rockstar!!! Thanks a ton, despite your not being familiar with my radio, I think you got it but I need to check when I get home.

I had the up and downside set at +100/-100, and was having the problem, but I will play with the offset number and see if that does it.

Thanks also for correcting the order of the mix- rud to throttles

You made a happy guy! I will read up on differential thrust; thank you so much!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
You are a Rockstar!!! Thanks a ton, despite your not being familiar with my radio, I think you got it but I need to check when I get home.

I had the up and downside set at +100/-100, and was having the problem, but I will play with the offset number and see if that does it.

Thanks also for correcting the order of the mix- rud to throttles

You made a happy guy! I will read up on differential thrust; thank you so much!
Don't get too enthusiastic. I'm not sure about how my advice applies to a Futaba.On my JR 9303, all I have to do to get the two channels working in unison is to select INH for AUX 2 to make sure it doesn't respond to a switch or lever. Then I go to one of the programmable mixes and set it to THRO --> AUX2. Bingo, both channels show up on the monitor as moving together.

In retrospect, it may be that all you have to do is to inhibit the channel you are using for THRO2. You may be seeing the effect of a still functioning switch, on top of which the throttle mix input is superimposed.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66