SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
Life is simple Eat, Sleep, Fly
Germany, RP, Kaiserslautern
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Stearman PT-17 - Maiden Flight Report - Sembach Germany

Well everyone, I have been reading up on the PT-17 for awhile now trying to get as many lessons learned for reference as I have gone through my build. I took a few recommendations from everyone like going with a power 25 motor, adding a 5 oz lead weight to the nose and I upgraded the foam wheels to the DUBRO 3" low bounce wheels.

Today we had pretty ideal conditions for flying, 4-5mph winds, with a temp of 75. so I decided to take the Stearman out to our local flying area just outside or Kaiserslautern near Sembach and attempt the maiden flight. I was a bit anxious since this was my first balsa ARF build and my first biplane. I could really feel the butterfly's as I started to taxi the Stearman around the runway, luckily I had a few friends close at hand to cheer me on and wish me luck.

I am happy to announce the maiden flight went great and without a hitch. The Stearman rolled out and lifted off without any problems. I took the recommendation of many of the folks here and once I gained altitude I continued strait ahead until I had it comfortably trimmed (which took about 6 clicks of elevator) and then I put the Stearman into a slow turn circling back to my direction. The flight went well. I landed into the wind with a few clicks of throttle and once she touched down I made sure to bury the elevator to assure that the plane didn't tip over. I kept the initial flight short I flew for about 8 minutes and still had plenty of battery left. I ended up with 3.8 per cell on a 3S 3200 battery after 8 minutes of flight, so plenty of battery left if I decided to stay up for awhile longer.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips, every recommendation I used worked out perfectly!

Here are a few shots from today's flights!

On a side note, if anyone is in the Kaiserslautern / Ramstein area feel free to send me a note and I'll invite you to our facebook group that ordinates all of our outings. Someone from the group fly's at least once a week if the weather is nice.
Timewarp is offline Find More Posts by Timewarp
Last edited by Timewarp; Jun 11, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts