SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Help!
Problem ->AP05 BL motor or ESC??

I converted my T28 to 2S brushless with an AP05 motor and a Turnigy 6A plush ESC. It has a 5030 prop.

I have had +40 flights with no problems. My nephew borrowed it and wanted to test a 2S battery he made up. He held on to it and ran the motor at around 3/4 throttle. He said the prop speed dimished after several minutes, so he shut down. Said the motor was pretty hot. He let it cool and told me the motor only oscilates but won't spin.

I know better and only spin a motor with a prop for a few seconds because of the increased current draw from a static load. I hope he learned from this experience.

I checked it out and he is right it won't spin. When I plug in the battery the ESC makes the normal beeps and when you give it some throttle the prop oscilates back and forth but does not rotate no matter what throttle I use. Oscillations are stronger with more throttle.

I checked all of the connections. The motor spins okay by hand.

Here is the weird part. When I give the prop a quick spin with some throttle it kicks in and starts to spins normally. It responds to throttle and works okay. If you shut down throttle you need to kick start again to make it rotate and respond to throttle.

I have no spare parts to swap to determine if its the motor or the ESC that is the cause of the problem. I'm thinking motor.
The fact that it spins okay after a kick start has me confused.

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Last edited by msdumo; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
i use the same setup on my t-28...i so far have not had any problems like that. i don't have 40 flights on it yet though. i just ordered another setup for my p-51

i am using the stock t-28 prop on mine

i would maybe reprogram the esc to make sure of the correct start up & timing
maybe the battery he tested screwed up the esc somehow ??
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
You've cooked a phase of the motor. Rewind time....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Your probably right Nitro.
I might try flying it and would expect a small decrease in power if I kick start it.
Would you fly it in this condition?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
No, you'll cook another phase soon and probably blow the ESC too...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
No, you'll cook another phase soon and probably blow the ESC too...
Bit the bullet and ordered a new AP05.
Hoping that the ESC is OK
Thanks Nitro