HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 03:49 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
Simonslim
Very nice video and the cameraman did a great job of keeping the model in shot.You are right about the umph and that was a pretty impressive single handed launch considering the Alpina weighs 4.6kg. I used to have a 4.5 kg PIK 20 but no way could I have launched it with one hand. Can you divulge what motor/esc and battery you were using - just in case I decide to go electric with my ASW28 as well?

I am guessing you are from Tyneside? My folks are from the north-east (Darlington) although they now live in Yorkshire which is where I am from orginally. Aren't there any coastal sites around North Shields/Whitley Bay where you can find a decent slope? I used to fly a bit in the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors but they are a fair trek from Newcastle.

Thanks for posting the video

Cheers
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 04:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
903 Posts
Small world eh, I live just north of Whitley Bay, Newbiggin by the sea. The few coastal slopes we have are not really suitable for 1/4 scale sailplanes so that was the main reason for electrifying the Alpina. There are a few slopes further a field but with limited flying time available for me I just go to our flying field at Cramlington.

The set-up I have in the Alpina is an AXI 2826/08+PG33/4 motor/gearbox, 70a esc, 4000mah 5s lipo and a nice big 20"x13" carbon folding prop.
simonslim is online now Find More Posts by simonslim
Old May 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonslim View Post
I still have not flown mine as decent slopes for this size of plane are a bit of a hike away for me. I have fitted a tow release but have yet to get a tug at our field big enough for a 4m sailplane.
I would also consider fitting flaps but would like to see how it goes with just the spoilers first.
I have been seriously considering whether or not to fit a brushless motor to mine as I fly mine e-powered 4m Alpina every chance I get and I love the versatility the motor gives me.
Keep us posted with your progress please.
You don't need flaps for a 28. The best landings are done at speed. The best advice I can give for flying one of these is "Never slow it down, especially when landing". The spoilers will do all you need to slow it down and force it down. Mine takes just a little up elevator compensation for full spoilers.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
903 Posts
Hi David, lovely photo and your right on about not letting them slow up too much.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
Thanks for your words of advice, which I will definitely heed when I maiden this model. The PIK20 did not like to be slowed down too much either and would tip stall readily in a turn if flown at too high an angle of attack. However the PIK did have fairly large flaps which could be coupled to the ailerons and operated as crow brakes which made approaches and landings a piece of cake.

I take it from your comment that the landing technique with this sailplane is not to flare and hold off but rather to fly it onto the ground?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
This is how to land a 28

ASW 28 high speed pass & landing.MPG (0 min 53 sec)
Old May 30, 2012, 11:56 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
This one was a few years ago when I did not know how to land this ship. It was windy and the runway was rough so I did not want to do high speed landings anyway.

ASW 28 Full landing (0 min 40 sec)
Old May 31, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
davidjensen
Thankyou for uploading the videos. A picture paints a thousand words but a video is even more useful. Watching your approaches/landings has given me a good impression of what to expect when my ASW 28 finally flies. Will try and post some photos/video of the maiden whenever that happens. Cheers.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
903 Posts
Yep, great videos David, I have watched them before. Nice to see good landings.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 PM
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Apr 2003
18 Posts
Hi,
I am considering buying a NIB Royal ASW28-18. One concern is that it is relatievly heavily wing loaded and will fly reasonably quick. Is this a problem, how is it thermal hunting and riding?
I am used to thermalling F3J type models
grifnz is offline Find More Posts by grifnz
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
903 Posts
Hi

this planes does not have a high wing loading compared to other 4 meter scale sailplanes, mine came out at 4.2kg/9lb6oz. The 4 meter version made by HF Model has a flying weight of 5.5kg/12lb12oz.
I only flew mine once but found I was able to fly it very fast if I wanted to but it would also crawl around at a snails pace too. As for thermaling, I had gained some height off the slope then hooked a thermal which gained a couple of hundred feet in no time, it's what this plane excels in. Landing was a none event, the spoilers worked a treat and she touched down with about 2-3 mph forward speed, obviously on a flat field you would want retain a bit more speed on landing.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:55 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
My 4m HF has a wing loading of 26.5 in/oz. with the carbon wing rod. It goes up to over 29 with the stock steel rod. Yes it will thermal although it needs good lift. I once was on final to the runway at about 100' and felt a bump (more like a huge kick) and took it out to 1000'. At these wing loadings you will not be able to core small thermals or even feel them and the ship just will not turn tight enough due to the high speed of normal flight.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
903 Posts
I think mine worked out at about 23oz/ft2, it was a really tame plane to fly.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
Simonslim
I finally maidened my ASW28-18 last weekend and all went well. I swapped the steel wing joiner for carbon saving 400g and took out the retract giving a flying weigh of about 3.8kg which seemed to suit the glider and made for easy landings. I am thinking of making a detachable power pod now so I can fly when no slope or tug available. I know you powered your Alpina glider - do you mind me asking what motor/esc/battery set up you used and what you would recommend for the ASW28? Thanks
Old May 21, 2013, 04:44 AM
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
Silly me - you already answered this question earlier. Sorry.