Nov 17, 2009, 09:04 PM
Never enough RC time.
Thread OP
Careful!

DX6i - Getting the most out of Channel 5 (PZ T28 BNF)

Man I loved my DX6i before I started to try and get a little technical. I have a Parkzone T28D BNF that came with the AR500 and the dual ailerons plugged into a Y and into the AILE port. There is a second AILE port, but that is just a 'dumb' reversed output of the first. I have had fun flying it but I thought I would experiment with Flapperons for even more fun! So I plugged the second servo into the 5th channel and tried to program the DX6i.

Using the built in DUALAILE under WINGTAILMIX
This would work, if you have a 6 channel receiver, but there is NO WAY TO ASSIGN CHANNEL 5 AS THE SECOND AILERON! Very frustrating and limiting in my opinion.

Disabling the default GEAR function and using a mix
Ok, so I can't tell the 6i to use channel 5 with its nifty built in mixes, but I should be able to disable the default gear function, and then mirror flap->gear and basically accomplish the same thing, right? Wrong. If you mix flap->gear (even with the trick listed below) it does nothing. And if you set the travel on GEAR to ^0% v0% in an attempt to disable the switch's function, the output of the channel will cease, even if. This trick was suggested because it worked with some radios in the past, but no dice.

Workaround #1
MIX1: (make gear into a proportional channel)
GEAR -> GEAR
D = -100%
U = -100%
Switch ON
Trim INH

MIX2:
AILE -> GEAR
D = +100%
U = +100%
Switch ON
Trim ACT

COOL, IT WORKS! Now I just have to mix in flaps and flaperons are mine! Oh wait, I burned up both of my mixes and the built in flap mixing won't work with this setup. So, this is worthless for anything past aileron sharing, which can already be done with the 'dumb' reversed aileron port.

Workaround #2
Now we are going to use helicopter mode and the gyro function.
Set model type to HELI.
MIX1:
AILE -> GYRO
D = +100%
U = +100%
Switch ON
Trim ACT

MIX2:
GYRO -> AILE
L = -100%
R = -100%
Switch ON
Trim INH

Now for all you robots out there, this will be a circular argument and your CPU will fry, and for that I apologize, but what this actually does is map the aileron potentiometer to GYRO, then reverse of the GYRO to AILE output. So now if you set up your GYRO values in the menu it will change both channels by the same amount, giving you flapperons! All you had to do was sacrifice all your mixes... Note: you may have to change the +/- values and servo reverse to get your surfaces to move correctly. I have the left aileron plugged into the AILE port and the right into the GEAR. I then set GYRO to 50/25 and my aileron servo reversed.

So this works for now, but I think I see a X9303 in my future. Anyone wanna trade
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2009, 06:49 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
This as been discussed numerous times but you just titled it differently.
Should have been DX6i with AR500 and or using FLAPS. As for this
Quote:
There is a second AILE port, but that is just a 'dumb' reversed output
Well lots of people do not think its DUMB as the second Aileron port is to eliminate the use of a Y harness when lots of people think the less connections you have the better secure system with less components that can go wrong. So you will surely be out numbered with people thinking this was a good feature for the AR500.

Using flaps with the AR500 is easy to do with the DX7 as it has more mixes but harder to accomplish with the DX6i.
It is possible as I have done it in the past but its not 100%, it uses all of you're mixes.

If you really want to get the most out of you're T28 / Corsair. Get a AR6200 and plug each aileron servo in its proper channel and then you will be able to trim them separately and use flaps or flaperons
Last edited by freechip; Nov 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling Police corrected me
Nov 18, 2009, 08:50 AM
Never enough RC time.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
This as been discussed numerous times but you just titled it differently.
Should of been DX6i with AR500 and or using FLAPS. As for this Well lots of people do not think its DUMB as the second Aileron port is to iliminate the use of a Y harness when lots of people think the less connections you have the better sercure system with less components that can go wrong. So you will surely be out numbered with people thinking this was a good feature for the AR500.

Using flaps with the AR500 is easy to do with the DX7 as it has more mixes but harder to accomplish with the DX6i.
It is possible as I have done it in the past but its not 100%, it uses all of you're mixes.

If you really want to get the most out of you're T28 / Corsair. Get a AR6200 and plug each aileron servo in its proper channel and then you will be able to trim them seperatly and use flaps or flaperons.
Holy hell dude, take a chill pill! Why are so many people around here so cranky and ready to jump on someone for trying to help?

I called the second port 'dumb' because technically it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary
Main Entry: dumb
Pronunciation: \ˈdəm\
Function: adjective
Date: before 12th century
6 a : lacking intelligence
I was not trying to say that its inclusion in the design was not useful, and the people shouldn't use it and that it is a bad feature. I was simply stating that it has no control of its own, and will only follow the actual aileron channel. This is why I put single quotes around it, because in my circle this usually means use the literal definition, or at least to draw attention to it.

I really did try and find other threads, and the best I could come up with was one on wattflyer that discussed workaround 1, but again that is not really useful.

NOWHERE did I find workaround 2, and I thought people might like to know about something that I came up with to get working flaperons. I am not saying that this info isn't out there, I just couldn't find it.

Now after searching even more after I posted, I did find this thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1071681
Describing yet another workaround that involves using subtrims to move the gear channel to 50% and I was going to add it to this thread today.

Sorry for wasting your time, I will take a timeout in the corner.

BTW
iliminate = eliminate
sercure = secure
seperatly = separately
Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesterama
BTW
iliminate = eliminate
sercure = secure
seperatly = separately
Thanks Spelling police and I don't need to take any pills thank you. Just trying to clarify a few things just like you did for my spelling.
As for you're so called option #2 using Heli programming to get it to work. Sure if you need it that bad.

You could then post another thread thats been discussed numerous times about NOT having throttle hold for electric planes.

You should post that all they have to do is setup their RC plane in HELI mode for those with programmable radios.

PS: spell check done on this post.
Nov 18, 2009, 10:49 AM
Never enough RC time.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Thanks Spelling police and I don't need to take any pills thank you. Just trying to clarify a few things just like you did for my spelling.
As for you're so called option #2 using Heli programming to get it to work. Sure if you need it that bad.

You could then post another thread thats been discussed numerous times about NOT having throttle hold for electric planes.

You should post that all they have to do is setup their RC plane in HELI mode for those with programmable radios.

PS: spell check done on this post.
As you can tell by my low post count but by my long time of membership I mainly stay a reader and not a poster. I only post when I truly have something to say and I thought after research that this was useful info. I am sorry that it isn't.

I don't come to forums to start beefs, I do it to gain and share knowledge about hobbies and fun. Sorry.
Nov 18, 2009, 06:56 PM
No need to be sorry, this is why we have forums. I truly did not think about the HELI option.

Just tried to suggest that the title could of been different as you're thread talks about something thats been talked about before.

Its not the number of post that count but the quality of the post.
This forum and hobby is world wide so you are going to come across different opinions for sure.

I am french Canadian so my above post could of been written in a less hostile way (maybe), its just sometimes hard to say exactly what you wanted to say when you are typing and not having a face to face conversation.

All good

Quick Reply