This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
15,167 Posts
Hard Rock and Fast Cars

Smitty,

Hey, now...

I'm 60, and I've been building my own computers since the late 70s. I've been into video games (primarily ultra-realistic flight sims, air-war sims, and auto racing sims) since the very first flight-sim was released to the public! Started out with FS1 by SubLogic in 1980. At the time, it was absolutely mind-blowing. And even today, I still build my PCs so they'll handle current flight-sims & racing sims with all of the settings balls-to-the-wall & still not miss a beat.

Oh - and I've been a hobbyist drag-racer since I was a high-school kid. I still go to the track every so often with my '87 Buick Grand National. I've hopped it up a bit over the decades. Now it does 0-60 MPH in 3.8 seconds, runs 11s in the quarter, carves corners, and can cruise @ 160 MPH without even breathing hard. I hope that when I'm 70, I'll still want to stoplight race the kids!

And I still crank-up my 1240-watt RMS audiophile-grade 24-bit/192k 7.1 surround audio system, spin-up a few ultra-high-resolution DVD-A & SACD disks, and scare the spiders out of the walls. And I still do live mixing for rock bands.

As a long-time best friend & old hot-rodding buddy says - "You're only as old as you think you are." And on the wall of his body shop, there's a big sign that says: "Don't take life too seriously. It's not permanent."

My advice is to do whatever is necessary to avoid turning into a crotchety old-fart. We have too many of those already! It's all about one's mind-set. Sweating the small stuff is a choice.

And now.....back to your regularly-scheduled program!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 23, 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Murdock80
Born to lose-live to win!!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2014
1,873 Posts
Joel. I want your Grand National when you retire from drag racing
Murdock80 is offline Find More Posts by Murdock80
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
4,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock80 View Post
Joel. I want your Grand National when you retire from drag racing
Maybe if we ask nice he will let us ride along.......that would be awesome....
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Maybe if we ask nice he will let us ride along.......that would be awesome....
Dang straight Dale!!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
SAnd I still crank-up my 1240-watt RMS audiophile-grade 24-bit/192k 7.1 surround audio system, spin-up a few ultra-high-resolution DVD-A & SACD disks, and scare the spiders out of the walls. And I still do live mixing for rock bands.
Awesome! I am a hard core rock'n'roll drummer. Got my first kit in 1966, another in 1968, another in 1971, another in 1979…and my current kit:

I like the big "dinosaur" kits.
I'm old skool all the way…Zep, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, King Crimson, Queen, etc, etc, etc.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
15,167 Posts
LOL! If you guys are ever in this neck of the woods during the hot-rod season, I'll definitely give ya a ride & pin yer ears back a bit!

Dale - you're 66?!?!?!?!

Holy crap, I figured maybe late 20s or 30s. You've certainly figured out the secret to staying young-at-heart!

And yeah, I remember Pong. Early 70s, if I remember correctly. Used to play it up at the local pool/pinball/Foosball joint back when I was a high-school kid.

Speaking of Foosball - a bunch of us really got into that game. Even had tournaments. I remember one kid who had such a hard slapshot that he once cracked the wood behind the goal.

Gotta remember - we grew up on the 49th parallel. Winter often lasts for over half a year up there. We needed something to do during the weeks-on-end of -20 F to -30 F highs & -40 F to -50 F lows.

Joel
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,671 Posts
Attachment 9197797
Quote:
LOL! If you guys are ever in this neck of the woods during the hot-rod season, I'll definitely give ya a ride & pin yer ears back a bit!

Dale - you're 66?!?!?!?!

Holy crap, I figured maybe late 20s or 30s. You've certainly figured out the secret to staying young-at-heart!

And yeah, I remember Pong. Early 70s, if I remember correctly. Used to play it up at the local pool/pinball/Foosball joint back when I was a high-school kid.

Speaking of Foosball - a bunch of us really got into that game. Even had tournaments. I remember one kid who had such a hard slapshot that he once cracked the wood behind the goal.

Gotta remember - we grew up on the 49th parallel. Winter often lasts for over half a year up there. We needed something to do during the weeks-on-end of -20 F to -30 F highs & -40 F to -50 F lows.

Joel
Heck ya..Foooooosball.........All the rage here also.......tournaments of course......1978 to 1980.....Raced dirt bikes.....what a rush ....going full throttle in a pack of other guys.....usually came in 5th.....came in 3d once only cause 2 of top riders wrecked.. HA..Why yes u do know about that rush from Drag racing AND flying planes....... pic of what my 1978 125cc bike looked like
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jul 28, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
15,167 Posts
Smitty,

Very cool! I LOVE mixing big drums! My mixing style is somewhat drum-forward. I'll put it this way - a proper kick-drum should hit you deep in the gut & be able to knock a fast-food bag off a table at the back of the room, the snare should hit you square in the chest, and the toms should sound like cannons.

And you just named a bunch of my all-time favorite bands! Yes, Floyd, Rush, Queen, Genesis, Zep, Beck, Crimson, 'Smith, Dregs, Zappa, etc. I've always been into hard rock, prog-rock & fusion.

First concert I ever saw was Yes in '72 - their Close to the Edge tour. I was 16. Blew my mind! Saw Queen back in the mid '70s. Went to that show with the members of the band I was with at the time. Queen's performance live was literally jaw-dropping! And then there's my favorite writer/composer/performer/band-leader of all time - the late, great FZ. I saw Frank & the Mothers six times. Once with Captain Beefheart. First time was in Chicago, back in 1975. I'm also a huge Dregs fan. Never had a chance to see 'em live, though.

And now....back to your regularly-scheduled programming!

I think I hear the sound of hundreds of tiny Merlins making their way across the big pond...

Joel
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1,873 Posts
Come on yall... AC/DC!!!!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by fusionsx00
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
256 Posts
Wow from attackof the believe what i believe in, say as i say or we will tar and feather to talks of one of my first cars, well not a real gn. I did get a hold of a stock 85 gn with a few mods in my 20s. And got to drive a gnx, tiny highlight i guess
fusionsx00 is offline Find More Posts by fusionsx00
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,671 Posts
Quote:
Smitty,

Hey, now...

I'm 60, and I've been building my own computers since the late 70s. I've been into video games (primarily ultra-realistic flight sims, air-war sims, and auto racing sims) since the very first flight-sim was released to the public! Started out with FS1 by SubLogic in 1980. At the time, it was absolutely mind-blowing. And even today, I still build my PCs so they'll handle current flight-sims & racing sims with all of the settings balls-to-the-wall & still not miss a beat.

Oh - and I've been a hobbyist drag-racer since I was a high-school kid. I still go to the track every so often with my '87 Buick Grand National. I've hopped it up a bit over the decades. Now it does 0-60 MPH in 3.8 seconds, runs 11s in the quarter, carves corners, and can cruise @ 160 MPH without even breathing hard. I hope that when I'm 70, I'll still want to stoplight race the kids!

And I still crank-up my 1240-watt RMS audiophile-grade 24-bit/192k 7.1 surround audio system, spin-up a few ultra-high-resolution DVD-A & SACD disks, and scare the spiders out of the walls. And I still do live mixing for rock bands.

As a long-time best friend & old hot-rodding buddy says - "You're only as old as you think you are." And on the wall of his body shop, there's a big sign that says: "Don't take life too seriously. It's not permanent."

My advice is to do whatever is necessary to avoid turning into a crotchety old-fart. We have too many of those already! It's all about one's mind-set. Sweating the small stuff is a choice.

And now.....back to your regularly-scheduled program!

Joel
Is this you.....LOL ....
1987 Buick Grand National Low 11 sec (1 min 15 sec)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:42 PM
Joined Jul 2009
15,167 Posts
Dale,

You raced dirt-bikes, too?? Small world. When I was in junior-high & high-school, I was the pit mechanic for a team of three flat-track racers. We had a pair of Yamaha 250 motocross bikes that we stripped & converted to flat-trackers (we did the usual weight-saving stuff - removed 6th gear, ditched the brakes & gutted the brake hubs, pulled the fenders & side-covers, changed the seat & bars).

And then we had one absolutely insane purpose-built flat-tracker. An absolutely crazy-nuts, insanely high-strung, wildly-built Kawasaki 250 two-stroke twin that cranked-out nearly 50 HP @ 15,000 RPM, bolted to a 73-pound aircraft aluminum Trackmaster racing frame. We couldn't even find a tach that went that high. So you pegged the 13-grand tach, waited for 2 seconds, and then shifted. And it would flip you right off the back if you so much as breathed on the throttle wrong - even at highway speeds! The 2-into-1 tune-pipe made it sound otherworldly. That thing would send shivers down your spine at full-song!

I once had to drive ~120 miles round-trip to get parts & then overhaul one of the Yamaha 250s between heats. I was 16 at the time. Made the trip in just over an hour. (I was driving a team-member's car - which happened to be a '70 Hemi Challenger. ) I topped it out on the way back to the track. Not sure how fast it went because the 150 MPH speedo was pegged! All I know is that the bird I hit pretty much exploded the grill, and his head was buried nearly an inch deep in the radiator!

I made it back to the track without further incident. But I only had a half-hour to overhaul the engine. Got it buttoned-up with just enough time left to make a quick "break-in" run through the pits.

Regarding the GN - no, that's not me! (Nice pass, though. ) Mine isn't anywhere near that quick. On 100 octane unleaded race-fuel, it'll run 11.90s on a "good-air" day.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,717 Posts
....... unbelievable .........
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jul 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: got smacked down for ....?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock80 View Post
Come on yall... AC/DC!!!!
Sorry, left them out as well. But I am partial to the Bon Scott era. I saw them on their first tour of America opening for Kiss in 1977. I was 14. They were touring behind their 2nd US album, Let There Be Rock. Awesome show. Definitely the loudest opening band I ever saw. Saw them again, with Bon, with 5th row seats, on the Highway To Hell tour. Pat Travers opened for them…he was riding high on Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights. Another great show from days gone by. My favorite concert of all time? Rush - touring for the Hemispheres album back in 1979. Best concert i ever saw. Wish I could travel back in time and watch it all over again. I've been to 10 Rush shows. I've seen so many great shows in my day. Judas Priest in 1980, on the British Steel tour was another. Never saw the Stones though. My oldest sister saw The Beatles in 1964, and Pink Floyd on their Dark Side of the Moon tour in 1973.

Joel,
Would have loved to have seen Yes on the Close To The Edge tour - it being one of my fave Yes albums (that and Tales…). Almost saw Queen on their News of the World tour in 1977, but my sister ended up going. We are musical brothers. I am a huge fusion fan as well…Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse, Alan Holdsworth, etc, etc. You sound like a good drum tech too. I miss the big "dinosaur" drumkits. I blame Dave Grohl of Nirvana for that…he was the catalyst that influenced every new rock drummer to switch to smaller kits in the early 1990's. I really liked Nirvana though…they killed the cheesy late 1980's hair bands, and for that I was grateful.

As time goes by, it's getting harder and harder to find new rock bands with the hard rock sound that I enjoyed so much growing up. But, I have found a few bands over the last 10 years that I enjoyed. Sometimes, I just discover something new, that's not new, but I was unaware of. I like Rival Sons alot - they've got the heavy Zep/Animals vibe going. Blues Pills is really good too - they're like a mix of ZZ Top meets Janis Joplin. I really liked Wolfmother's Cosmic Egg - lots of great rocking songs there. Another great band from the early 70's that I just discovered lastyear - Captain Beyond…their debut album was awesome. Burning Brides is another newer band I liked (they broke up) - Anhedonia is a killer rock album - really good! Their lead singer was the head vampire in the rock'n'roll comedy movie Suck. If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious…lots of rock'n'roll cameos too. And I just discovered Danko Jones a little while back. He's from Canada, and if he had only been born earlier, he would have been huge - albums: Rock and Roll is Black and Blue, Fire Music and Below the Belt. If you haven't heard of some of these, check them out on Spotify or whatever. You might enjoy some of them, and if you know of any cool bands I might not be aware of, let me know as well.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Last edited by smittyboy; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,671 Posts
Joel.....when u were 16 ,,i was 22 in the navy......was 28 when i started racing....the Old guy...the bike was a 1978 125 cc Suzuki TM........It seems that several of us at different ages and different parts of the US have pretty much the same experiences .....It kinda ex planes why we get along.......Well maybe.......LOL...At our fairgrounds there was a i think a quarter mile dirt track where i watched the flat trackers raced on sat nights.....WOW
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jul 24, 2016 at 07:50 AM.