Old Jun 12, 2016, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Chophop
Glad I'm not a Boll Weevil
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
9,959 Posts
Question
Phoenix Models Plywood ? What is it ?

Does anyone know what the plywood phoenix models uses in it's .40 - .60 airplanes ? It seems medium lightweight and very strong.
I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.
I am referring to what looks to be 2mm 3 ply.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2016, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,820 Posts
You could contact Phoenix and ask them.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 13, 2016, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2006
9,959 Posts
I sort of gave up on that, some foreign companies can't communicate well. I'll try.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,682 Posts
There is a very nice material called Liteply that is considerably lighter and usually better quality to the usual Birch ply.

My experience of ARF models is that they use something similar but of poorer quality, probably cost related.

I think I remember Liteply was originally use for wooden jigsaw puzzles. Good model shops should stock it. Or try a search on Liteply, but you may find it expensive compared to the cheaper Birch ply.

Balsa ply is quite simple to make, just reverse the grain direction between sheets, use the minimum of glue.

Ray.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
There is a very nice material called Liteply that is considerably lighter and usually better quality to the usual Birch ply.

My experience of ARF models is that they use something similar but of poorer quality, probably cost related.

I think I remember Liteply was originally use for wooden jigsaw puzzles. Good model shops should stock it. Or try a search on Liteply, but you may find it expensive compared to the cheaper Birch ply.

Balsa ply is quite simple to make, just reverse the grain direction between sheets, use the minimum of glue.

Ray.

Ditto but if your laminating plys of balsa you may want to make sure your using a waterproof adhesive .. especially if your in a wet - temperate climate, building a waterplane/float plane or just going keep the model for any length of time.. waters the universal solvent given time..

higher quality plys tend to use more thin layers of an even thickness - usually an odd number 3,5,7,9, so the two facing outer's have the grain running in the same direction , cheaper ones tend to use a sandwich of thin and thicker layers.. they tend to hide splits gaps and weaknesses in the thicker layers... not nice.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jun 15, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2006
9,959 Posts
That stuff Phoenix uses looks like a hard balsa ply, one hard layer on each side and a soft balsa inside. I think it may be some native Viet Nam wood. I'll contact them later.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
418 Posts
My guess:

Itīs a wood called Ceiba (Other name is Gabun)

As poplar wood is seldom there

Toby
GermanTigger is online now Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2006
9,959 Posts
Description says that is what it is.

Sapwood and heartwood are not clearly demarcated. The wood is whitish, pale brown, or pinkish brown, often with yellowish or grayish streaks. The texture is coarse, and the grain is interlocked or occasionally irregular. Ceiba is very soft and light; density of air-dried wood is 320 kg/m3 (20 lb/ft3). In strength, the wood is comparable with basswood (Tilia americana). Ceiba dries rapidly without marked deterioration. It is difficult to saw cleanly and dress smoothly because of the high percentage of tension wood. It provides good veneer and is easy to nail and glue. Ceiba is very susceptible to attack by decay fungi and insects. It requires rapid harvest and conversion to prevent deterioration. Treatability, however, is rated as good.

I was almost there myself but thank God Nixon saved that stupid kid from himself by ending the war.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by Alexandreij
Joined Jun 2016
9 Posts
For sure it's a tropic wood, may be Ceiba, but I don't know its origin. Due to my experience, as many tropic wood is growing fast, the one used for Phoenix ARF models IMHO is not really comparable to the quality of Birch or Beech Plywood as I can state after some undocumented tests I did myself. But not only the wood properties themself but the less number of layers within one peace of such ply is relevant for its characteristics.

So called "Liteply" or anything not indicating its wooden origin due to my knowledge and suggestion is a marketing name for whatever distributors subsumize concnerning such kind of plywood. Beside balsa ply I know "abele" / "poplar" or so called "cotton wood" as kind of lighter but less quality plywood compared to the high quality birch or beech ply. Self made balsa ply is a very interesting idea for certain parts of a plane, like e.g. former for the fuselage that are not so far under hard terms in use of the model. The "abele" / "poplar" or so called "cotton wood" I use for any further a bit stiffer parts like some former, central ribs a.s.o. For keeping e.g. the landing gear or the airfoil joint / inner ribs I prefer high quality birch / beech ply. That's what I can state after 3 decades experience with building up wooden airplane models including large scale soaring planes (up to 275" wingspan).

Hope this may help you, good Guys.
Alexandreij is offline Find More Posts by Alexandreij
Last edited by Alexandreij; Jun 27, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
9,959 Posts
That stuff in the Phoenix Models is very strong. I did a test on a crashed fuselage, I swung the thing like a ball bat against concrete and it took 3 or four hard swings to break it. I suppose the only weak part is as usual, the landing gear and tail section, but those were more than good enough.