Old May 28, 2016, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by uberjay
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Build Log
The Build RC - The Pincho Slope Soarer

Introduction

The Pincho is a very sleek looking, composite and balsa construction slope soarer with an option to add a peg for discus style launches. Full disclosure... I was very graciously provided the Pincho by TheBuildRC.com to review. I was not paid to do this review, but I do get to keep the model when done.

Specifications:

Unboxing

The Pincho came to me well packaged with not a dent on it from the shipping. In fact I don't think I'd ever seen the same kind of air pocket type cushioning wrap before. Kind of like bubble wrap on steroids. Either way, double boxing, lots of super awesome 'bubble' wrap, and tape where apropriate to keep things from sliding ensured the plane arrived in perfect condition.

I put together an unboxing timelapse video that'll show you exactly what and how this unboxes.

The Build

I am in the process of editing part 2, but here is part 1 of a timelapse video of the build. 3 hours boiled down to 6 minutes! It goes pretty quick, but you can stop and/or play frame-by-frame and catch the gist of the build. The entire build took me about 7 hours; however, note that this plane should NOT take 7 hours to build. I was stopping along the way to take pictures and also decided to do a custom mod on the elevator pushrod that I'd seen elsewhere. I would guess that someone with a moderate amount of experience should be able to get this up and flying in a couple nights work or less.

If there is interest in having the full length (ie. non-timelapse) footage let me know and I'll see what I can do. I suspect (to be honest) that people will not even need to look at it as this plane goes together pretty easily. There are a few gotchas, but nothing insurmountable.

Build Part 1:
The Pincho ... Timelapse Build Part 1 (6 min 28 sec)

Build - Overview

The build of the Pincho was pretty straight forward and went basically like this:
  • Separate and hinge elevator
  • Hinge and install rudder & servo
  • Install wing servos and mounting eyelets
  • Open hole in tail section where desired for elevator pushrod (*)
  • Mount wings then align and install horizontal stabilizer with elevator
  • Install elevator servo and pushrod
  • Install receiver and battery
  • Balance with required nose weight
  • Install wing peg for hand / DL launch (optional)

* There is no pre-fab hole cut in the fuse for the elevator control linkage. The builder must choose where and how to route the pushrod through and out of the fuse. In my case I chose to route the pushrod down the middle of the fuse and exit right below the elevator in the middle. I did not actually use the supplied pushrod & sleeve, but chose to use a carbon tube with DuBro Clevises on either end of wires anchored on it. This was a mod I had seen done on other planes that makes lots of sense from a geometry and balance perspective. See the pics for more details.

Build - Pain Points

The build of the Pincho was pretty straight forward. There were, however, some minor hurdles to over come along the way. None of these were insurmountable, but they did detract (for me) from the beautiful lines of the unboxed plane. I won't dwell too long on the negatives - just get them out there and be honest here and move on. Pictures / montage below and / or the time lapse builds should show some of the opportunities for improvement with this model. I will be working with The Build RC to feed back these notes to their engineering / design folks.

1. Elevator is fiberglassed to the horizontal stabilizer.
The elevator has to be cut from the stab and then cleaned up and hinged. The fiberglass does not encase the edges of the wood structure inside. See pics.
2. Elevator pushrod path is not predetermined.

3. Fuse is so narrow that it is hard to get in to install anything.

4. Missing wing alignment pegs.

5. Spring for wing mounting tension was missing hook on one end.

6. Gap in horizontal stab slot in fuse.
It would appear that the mould for the fuse may have been meant for a more defined airfoil in its horizontal stabilizer. There were gaps on the top and bottom that had to be filled when mounting the stab. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.
Build - Positives

I tend to be a problem solver by nature. So I usually find it a lot easier to pick things apart and see where they could be improved (hence the above section). I'll try to be as detailed here as I can to keep the balance. In reality, there isn't a whole lot to do on this build, but there are a few tricky spots mentioned above. The rest, though, are super easy to sort out.

1. Glassed leading edges.
The wings are built up balsa with a mix of what appears to be glassed leading edge with covering on the aft
2. Integrated vertical stab with fuse.
Vertical stab is very straight and true. Hollow with wood in the aft end to accept hinges. Over all very nice not to have to glue in the stab and have that extra interface to deal with.
3. Simple rudder servo install.
The location of the rudder servo is super simple and allows for a short control arm and very direct feel to the rudder. The only downside to this is the weight required in the nose to balance the tail (only a problem if trying to keep it light for DL type launching.
4. Carbon canopy.

5. Glassed horizontal stab & elevator.

6. Hardware package.
The hardware package was very well put together. They even included two extra servo mount covers for the wings. They include pushrod keepers, control horns, wing join hardware, and more than enough screws to hold on the servo covers.
Build - Commentary

The build of the Pincho was not the easiest I've done, but it also wasn't the most difficult either. I would put the Pincho as an intermediate balsa build. There's some real building to do and it is not just a assemble-by-number ARF. Definitely not a foamy 'build'. That said, it does go together quickly once you decide how you want to mount (or run) the elevator pushrod. About the only thing I wasn't a fan of was having to separate the elevator from the horizontal stabilizer. Separating it cleanly requires a saw and a steady hand. I used my scroll saw with a metal ruler as a guide to help keep the cut aligned. In hindsight a small table saw would have been about the right tool for the job, but the width of the cut may have fractured the glue between the glass and wood structure even more than I did with my scroll saw. Maybe. Either way you slice it, you have a 'dirty' interface to now clean up and hinge. I resolved it by doing a simple Blenderm tape hinge the full length. Sealing (at least temporarily) the exposed wood and still giving a good hold. I'll probably revisit this in time, but wanted to get it flying asap.

For the build I chose to run the elevator pushrod down the middle of the fuse and having the elevator control horn stick down into the tail end of the fuse. To do this it meant a couple things: 1) I had to cut/grind open a slot in the tail for the horn to swing back and forth in; and 2) I couldn't use the supplied pushrod and sleeve for the elevator. The reason for #2 is because I could not get my fingers into the fuse to mount any support for the pushrod sleeve. So instead I decided to use a 4mm carbon tube and cut some chunks of the supplied pushrod wire to make a stiff rod that runs directly from servo to control horn with no need for supports. The pictures show how I did this, but basically just put an L-bend in the wire and put that through a hole in the tube. Then wind and tie it with thread soaking it in CA when done. Thanks to my buddy Bobby for that idea.

The last real challenge on the build was the canopy. There wasn't a supplied method for mounting it. I had seen a few use screws and such, but I used a method I'd seen before on my Raptor. I grabbed some 1.6mm (0.06") music wire cut to just longer than the canopy inner length (ie. pushing the wire into the underside of the canopy) to about 1/4" overage. Then slather all but the outer 1 to 1.5" of each end with 5 minute epoxy. Once set the two ends will flex enough to slip the canopy onto the fuse one end at a time. (See pics)

Flight Review

The maiden flights were simple glide tests - straight hand toss on nice level ground and soft grass. All went well with no surprises. The plane is definitely meant for the slope and being extensively built with fiberglass it is very sturdy for that purpose. I need to find a slope to test it out on, but I think any 'slopes' I find around my area will not do justice to this plane in comparison with the videos on the product page.

20160511_194117.mp4 (0 min 12 sec)

I did manage to test how sturdy the Pincho was - twice. On my first test glide I had too much down elevator and throw angle - oops. The Pincho became a lawn dart! Thank goodness for soft ground and a very sharp nose!

In another instance I ventured a discus throw - without the peg installed! Bad move, I choked while worrying about pinching too hard on the wingtip and wound up torquing the plane in the yaw plane too much, stalled, and didn't recover before a cartwheel. Surprisingly, there was no noticeable damage!

So, on the durability scale this plane rates a 10 out of 10! ;-)

20160511_193451.mp4 (0 min 17 sec)

20160511_193938.mp4 (0 min 10 sec)

I really do have to admit that this plane's flight characteristics do need to be read on a slope; however, I plan to install the wing peg (provided in the package) and try again. If I can't find a slope I'll even try adding a hook for high start/tow and then I may even add a motor to the nose and see what I can make it do! Lots of ideas for this very sharp looking plane.

Check out Felipe's flights on the slope for what this plane can really do!
pincho from thebuildrc.com (2 min 33 sec)

Photo Album

Instead of uploading all 200+ MB of photos and fighting with the forum's uploader I thought I would just share my Google Photos Web Album link. If you have any trouble accessing the pictures let me know.

Summary

Well, to wrap up this review / build log I will just leave it that this is one incredibly sharp looking model. It goes together relatively quickly and has a complete hardware package with a few nice perks thrown in. It is not a beginner's build, but with help it could be. On one hand it would be nice for the elevator pushrod to have a pre-determined hole and/or path out of the fuse, but on the other hand I like having the freedom to customize it and have the finished product look like that's the way it should be. I look forward to being able to really get this bird in the air (by whatever methods I can think of ) and when I do I will post more video footage of that action here.

Thanks for reading through this. I hope you found it helpful and informative. Please feel free to post any questions, comments, or suggestions below.

All the best,
Jason.
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
Last edited by uberjay; May 30, 2016 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Adding slope flying video.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2016, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by gonzalo contrera
gonzalo contreras
caracas
Joined Feb 2007
556 Posts
Pincho?....

Pincho? it`s a Jart with an eliptical wings.... of course, made in china.
gonzalo contrera is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo contrera
Last edited by gonzalo contrera; May 28, 2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old May 28, 2016, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Hmmm... there may be truth there, but this thread was started to talk about the Pincho.

Thanks for responding.
J
Old May 31, 2016, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by JGAF
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Nov 2007
2,655 Posts
Whoever produced this aircraft and thinks a peg can be added for discus launching has absolutely no concept of what it takes to get an airplane to discus launch.

It leads me to believe that the person producing the plane in question neither has passion, or originality, and is only in it for the money.

Two thumbs down based on the videos I've seen of the Pincho
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
Old May 31, 2016, 06:35 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAF View Post
Whoever produced this aircraft and thinks a peg can be added for discus launching has absolutely no concept of what it takes to get an airplane to discus launch.
You'll notice I haven't added the peg yet . That said, I can't speak to your other points because, well they are subjective and I don't have any sloping experience. I was asked to build and review the plane as best I can. Which I have. Felipe's videos do much better justice to the plane. I hope you got to at least see that.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion and taking time to view my post above.

Cheers,
J
Old May 31, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by grrttmyers
"Shoulda boughta volkswagen"
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2012
646 Posts
Hahahahahahahahaha.... the DLG attempt video is classic!
grrttmyers is offline Find More Posts by grrttmyers
Old May 31, 2016, 07:22 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrttmyers View Post
Hahahahahahahahaha.... the DLG attempt video is classic!
I thought it was pretty funny too. It was all I could do to not land on my butt.
Old May 31, 2016, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by steeg
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
i hope you get a good go at sloping it.
everybody loves the jart,and here is something resembling it.
and if it flies anywhere nearly as good as the speedo it'll fly great.
thanks for the review.
steeg is offline Find More Posts by steeg
Old May 31, 2016, 08:47 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Thanks Steeg... I do look forward to finding a slope ... I may have to drive the 2 to 3 hours over to the Niagara escarpment (near Niagara Falls) to find one though ;-).

The Speedo was an awesome little glider.

Cheers,
J
Old Jun 01, 2016, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
R/C Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,841 Posts
I'm pretty amazed you got that thing airborne on a flat field. That plane is definitely not a candidate for discus launch unless one is a glutton for punishment. I'd recommend a tow-hook and bungee.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jun 01, 2016, 04:53 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
Thanks ... it was even more 'iffy' because I didn't install any peg on the wing. Slippery fingers and being nervous about 'pinching' too hard made me forget to let go at the right trajectory, etc.

I don't plan on installing the peg just because I love the look of the wings and, besides, DL'ing a 2 lb plane isn't going to do my shoulder any good ;-).

There IS plenty of access in the fuse bottom at the right location for a tow hook. So that's my plan. If I get tired of high starts or can't find anyone with a suitable tow plane my last venture will be to lop off the nose and turn it into a powered glider of sorts. We'll see.

Cheers,
J
Old Jun 01, 2016, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by TFLG
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,644 Posts
Youtube gold! I certainly commend you for trying to discus launch something only slightly more suitable than a cinder block. Adding the peg would only produce a harder crash as the planform (design) is not suitable for DLG. The company selling it obviously hasn't a clue how gliders fly. It's a slope glider, not a hand launch, not a dlg, not an aerotow glider. You could put a hook on it and do "slope on a rope" but you would only get flights of about 30 seconds at best. Find a slope!
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jun 01, 2016, 08:29 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
"Slope on a rope" ... Love it!

I will give the tow thing a try - even if it's like a space shuttle brick-style landing from 300 ft it'll be fun to try.

Anyone got a slope they can loan me? ;-)
Old Jun 02, 2016, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by Doc James H
Joined Jul 2012
688 Posts
Jartcho?

Am I committing a crime by saying that looks a lot like a JART fuze/tailplane grafted on to a different wing?

woo...

Nice looking plane though.

JH
Doc James H is offline Find More Posts by Doc James H
Old Jun 02, 2016, 06:45 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
2,205 Posts
LOL... you wouldn't be the first to think / mention that similarity.