Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
Discussion
pod and boom for soaring

has any1 tried these?
http://www.clm-pro.com/fuselage-pods...to-2m-wingspan
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 10, 2016 at 04:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2016, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by cinbau
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Sep 2005
55 Posts
I have two pods and booms fro CLM, They are exactly what I was in need of and very good quality. If you order pay the extra few buck and get the express shipping and you will have them in 2-3 weeks. With regular shipping it can take 4-6 to get them.

Cricket
cinbau is offline Find More Posts by cinbau
Old May 10, 2016, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,549 Posts
There is an US dealer, contact him for a stock figure and shipping times.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 10, 2016, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
details

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinbau View Post
I have two pods and booms fro CLM, They are exactly what I was in need of and very good quality. If you order pay the extra few buck and get the express shipping and you will have them in 2-3 weeks. With regular shipping it can take 4-6 to get them.

Cricket
thanks. could you provide details on yours? what size plane, motor, how the wing mounts, anything.
regards
Old May 11, 2016, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by raceskier
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Mar 2005
192 Posts
Got mine from rev.iain http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=45376
raceskier is offline Find More Posts by raceskier
Old May 16, 2016, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by big jer
SoCal
Joined Apr 2003
206 Posts
pod and boom

I got mine from them earlier this year. Excellent quality, very nice people to do business with.

I can recommend them without reservation.

JDK
big jer is offline Find More Posts by big jer
Old May 16, 2016, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by kcaldwel
“emancipatory catastrophism”
Joined Jan 2007
4,134 Posts
I have a CLM pod and boom I use on a 3.4m e-Supra. I got the sailplane fuselage, and cut the nose off myself for a 35mm spinner, because I liked the pod better than their e-pod.

http://www.clm-pro.com/fuselage-sets/fuselage-set-125

I potted the wing mount with epoxy and micro-balloons for the dihedral angle in my wings, and added a bit of extra composites for the wing mount nuts.

It has been holding up well to a year of flying, except for the V-mount. The V-mount always had quite a bit of play in it, and now it has twisted so the stab isn't straight any more. I'm not a big fan of V-mounts to start with, they seem very draggy with all those very low Re surfaces out in the breeze. I am going to replace the V-mount with another system soon.

The pod and boom seem reasonably good though. Not Vladimir quality, but certainly usable.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old May 17, 2016, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Francois.Du.Nord
Joined Dec 2014
34 Posts
I too have a CLM, Boom and they built me a set of tail feathers for an X tail that will control a 3.5 M wing on a 'pure' sailplane - no motor. My stabs are shown on their site.

Order with confidence, they do a great job. Mine came packed securely, gorilla could have loaded it to shipping with no damage.

I'm building right now. I am using the precursor to an Ava wing (Graphite 1), built up with Kevlar D-Tube, carbon capped balsa ribs and TE covered with oracover. 135" wing.

I just finished mounting the stabs last night along with the control rods (Kennedy composites - Supra). I'm using the original mounting in the wing, to the pylon in the CLM Pod. I'll drill the top of the pylon, epoxy threaded inserts in the pylon and then use machine screws through the wing into the inserts.
Francois.Du.Nord is offline Find More Posts by Francois.Du.Nord
Last edited by Francois.Du.Nord; May 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add detail, answer questions
Old May 18, 2016, 10:21 AM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
just ordered

i ordered 2 for some of my projects.
looking forward for working on them.
Old May 24, 2016, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
terrific

just to tell that they arrived today (12 days)
ordered express.
packing is excellent.
quality of products excellent.

seeing so thin, my 1st concern was to check if the batteries that i use would fit.
1000x3 graphene: ok.
3x1300 graphene: ok.
both like a glove, but fit.
they come without holes at the firewall, so the user has to drill it to fit his motor.
so, i only have good words about their products and fast shipping.
now to work on them for my projects!
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 25, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 25, 2016, 08:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
installing

i got 2 pods: 114 and 120 (and booms too).
now am installing the motor in pod 114.
the fitting is very tight. even inserting the 28 mm motor means pushing it, as the opening is 27.5 mm. and once the motor is inside (and the holes drilled previously), it rubs against the inside. i must try to sand the inside by had to remove some rough edges. and then the 3 wires. i have to see if they dont rub. i hope i could manage to get some downthrush, as it comes without any.
will tell.
Old May 25, 2016, 09:12 AM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
dragging in

at the point am now is that the motor fits and, as long as i dont bolt it down all the way, with the bolts loose, it can be turned by hand, but if i tighten the bolts, it locks. as i already cut 2 openings for cooling at both sides, i could look inside and noticed a ridge of white adhesive near the firewall, of about 1 mm high, running from 90 to 270 degrees (from left to bottom to right). i hope removing it will set the motor free from drag.
now to find the way to remove it! it is so deep that cant use a dremel or something, so will try sanding by hand. long, tedious, but cant think of a better way.
Old May 25, 2016, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by kcaldwel
“emancipatory catastrophism”
Joined Jan 2007
4,134 Posts
If you can get a small grinding disk of near the right diameter (maybe an air tool one, I don't think the Dremel ones will be big enough), put it in the pod with the shaft sticking out the front through the motor shaft hole. You can then attach a drill or air grinder, and clean up the bump near the firewall pretty quickly.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old May 25, 2016, 11:44 AM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel View Post
If you can get a small grinding disk of near the right diameter (maybe an air tool one, I don't think the Dremel ones will be big enough), put it in the pod with the shaft sticking out the front through the motor shaft hole. You can then attach a drill or air grinder, and clean up the bump near the firewall pretty quickly.

Kevin
thank you very much, sir. that is a brilliant solution that i will put to work right now. as i already drilled the shaft hole (a little bit larger), the disc shaft will get through.
1 of those things that we think: 'how i didnt think before'
so it pays off to come here and talk about our tribulations.
some times it works.

just tried a 20 mm disc and got rid of the ridge.
now the motor runs free.
this also may be good to all to know in case this happens to any of you around.
what happens is that the pod is so limited in inner dimensions that there is no room for small defects like that.
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 26, 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old May 25, 2016, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
7,176 Posts
#120 pod

now am dealing with the other pod: #120. this does not have any ridge but the firewall is located at a positive angle instead of negative.
i will have to make a wedge-shaped insert to correct this.
no idea why they did that, as these planes need downthrust, not up.
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 26, 2016 at 05:11 AM.