Old Apr 25, 2016, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by bcarter1234
United States, FL, Longwood
Joined Jul 2006
68 Posts
Question
Scale Glider wing control configuration

Best to just dive in and show my ignorance. I'm working on setting up my first scale glider.

1) Can someone suggest a wing control configuration for a scale glider with ailerons, flaps and spoilers?
2) What control input do you use to control each surface? ie throttle stick , switch, knob, slider.
3) If you use camber or reflex are they on a flight mode or achieved by other means?
4) If you do use camber or reflex are they trimmable?
5) Is crow ever used on a scale glider?

Please describe your landing procedure as it relates to your controls.

Thanks in advance for any input. Someday the questions will slow down... No really. It could happen.

Take care,

Brent
bcarter1234 is offline Find More Posts by bcarter1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by rjtw
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
263 Posts
Hey Brent,
I just went through all this with my Arcus. Everybody has their own preferences and it's all about what you want to do. Here's my basic setup on a Futabe 14sg. The Arcus has four surfaces per wing plus spoilers.

Right stick - elevator and ailerons. Aileron control moves the outer three surfaces but not the innermost flap surface. Each surface has an individually programmed up throw and down throw.

Left stick - rudder and spoilers. Spoilers only active when retract is down.

Switch E: Flight mode - normal in middle position, thermal in back position, speed/inverted away from me. Normal position gives 0 reflex and gives snap flap only with up elevator. Thermal gives a small amount of droop across the entire trailing edge and keeps snap flap. Speed slightly raises the entire trailing edge and gives snap flap both ways. Edit: to clarify, snap flap works across the entire trailing edge.

Switch B - dual rates on ailerons

Switch F - tow release

Switch G - landing gear. When gear are down, spoilers work on throttle. When gear is up throttle stick does nothing and spoilers always retracted.

Left slider - always gives me camber control no matter whether I am in normal, speed or thermal. Centering the slider gives the intended preset for each mode. However, I can raise or lower the entire trailing edge with the slider. Pulling back on the slider all the way gives max down flap which I can use for landing if I want. And unlike the presets and the snap flap which move the entire trailing edge like a single smooth surface, going to max flap moves the innermost flaps down all the way and the other surfaces down but less.

I have another switch set up for turning the variometer tones on or off, and also for turning the transmitter logging of telemetry data to the sd card in the transmitter on or off.

I do not use crow and, with the very effective spoilers and huge combined flap area on the Arcus, don't think crow is needed at least on this airplane. Crow can also apparently induce some horrible wing twisting on some sailplanes too.

Hope this helps!
Rick
rjtw is online now Find More Posts by rjtw
Last edited by rjtw; Apr 25, 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by bcarter1234
United States, FL, Longwood
Joined Jul 2006
68 Posts
Rick,

This helps is an understatement! Thanks for a very detailed response.

Take care,

Brent
bcarter1234 is offline Find More Posts by bcarter1234
Old Apr 26, 2016, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Multi-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
5,206 Posts
On my large Blanik it was spoilers on the throttle and flaps on the left slider. Tail Dragger RC has wonderful 3 servo wing harnesses by the way.

On landing approach get the flaps out about half way, maybe more depending on size and effectiveness. Use the spoilers to set your landing spot, if you're short keep them in, if you're long use them to slow down. Never ever suck the flaps back in once established on final or the wing will stall.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey