Old Dec 17, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by thermite
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Discussion
V977 gear mesh

Hi all,

I've just opened the box and taken a first look at my WLToys V977 snd I'm really impressed with the quality. Nicely put together. I'm yet to fly it but I'm a little concerned about the pinion/main gear mesh. It seems quite tight with no amount of play. Is this normal for these tiny heli's? I thought there had to be a tiny bit of play. Will the main gear 'Break in'?
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2015, 06:52 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Just put the first flight on it and I'm impressed. Just got the CG right with the battery and it hovers rock solid. I found that the main motor is a bit hot though not too hot to touch but very warm. Is this normal with these tiny BL motors? I probably got around 6-7 minutes of just steady hovering.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by dadio
United Kingdom, Surrey
Joined Jan 2013
2,208 Posts
there should be just tiny amount of free play between the pinion and main gear as you guessed ,the method for setting it on larger heli's is to feed a piece of paper between the gears then tighten it and remove the paper but on micro's that probably too much .you definitely want to adjust it or you will pull too much power ,shortening flights and heating the motor .you could try using cigaret papers to set it as they are thiner than regular paper and very cheap or just do it by eye .
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:22 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can even adjust the position of the motor on this model though. The screws just go through two little holes which don't appear to have any room for adjustment.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Feb 2015
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite View Post
Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can even adjust the position of the motor on this model though. The screws just go through two little holes which don't appear to have any room for adjustment.
You can probably. Slot the mounting holes for a little bit of adjustment .
3D Ambitions is offline Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:07 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Thanks 3D. What would be the best way to do that? I might take the motor off to have a better look. Has anyone else done anything like this with these little heli's?
I am concerned with how hot the motor gets.
I hovered it again in the house last night. When checking the motor immediately after landing and taking the canopy off, it was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Feb 2015
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite View Post
Thanks 3D. What would be the best way to do that? I might take the motor off to have a better look. Has anyone else done anything like this with these little heli's?
I am concerned with how hot the motor gets.
I hovered it again in the house last night. When checking the motor immediately after landing and taking the canopy off, it was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.
A small thin file could work just don't make the slot too big try to keep it the same width .
3D Ambitions is offline Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
Old Dec 24, 2015, 04:50 AM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Thanks. I've got some of the Hisky white main gears coming so I'll see what the fit is like with those and adjust one of the motor mount holes if necessary. I'm worried to fly in the meantime in case I cook the motor.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 04:37 AM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
I've just 'streched' one of the motor mounting holes a fraction using a tiny drill bit in my rotary tool. I've got the motor mounted so that there is a tiny bit of play all around the main gear now. It moves much more freely. Flight and heat test to follow...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 04:56 AM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,733 Posts
Much better now. It's quieter, the motor isn't nearly as toasty and I'm getting another 2 minutes flying time. Merry Christmas and happy flying eveyone! :-)