New Products Flash Sale

Armattan Quadrocopters announces a revolutionary new service!

The man who started building the world's finest multirotors thanks to interest here at RCGroups.com is moving into a new venture that may well change the entire hobby industry.

Splash

Is it too much to say that we stand on the cusp of hobby history?

Frankly, no.

The hobby industry has been revolutionized over the last decade, but never quite like it is about to be revolutionized.

Innovations such as brushless motors, 2.4 GHz radio systems and lithium polymer batteries have made electric flight affordable and most importantly, doable.

Things have been quiet lately on the innovation front, that is, until now.

Longtime RCGroups.com readers are likely familiar with Chris Leroux and Armattan Quadrocopters. Chris, a Canadian engineer living in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, started taking orders from RCGroups readers for custom-built CNC aluminum and carbon fiber quadcopters designed by Leroux and fellow engineer Andrew Meyer in Vancouver, British Columbia. Once Leroux had the CNC plans in hand, it was a simple matter to bring them to machine shops in Taiwan and nearby China to have the parts machined locally at low cost. So successful was this venture that Leroux is now turning his attention to manufacturing his magnificent machines on a full time basis.

This by itself would be an incredible success story if it ended right here. Revolutionary? Hardly.

Armattan Productions is Chrisís next venture. It may well prove to be one of the biggest revolutions in the hobby industry since the invention of radio control, one which closely parallels the development of the personal computer.

Simply put, if one can imagine it, Chris can now build it, share it and otherwise help spread the word about it.

Hereís how it works:

Once an account is registered, one becomes both a designer and a customer. That means that one can now purchase preciously submitted designs and submit oneís own. Profit margins for sellers can also be entered. So, if one enters a profit margin of $5.00, the price of the design would be adjusted so that one would indeed make five bucks per sale.

That also means that one can create a store within a store to sell products! Vendors can build their online storefront in a manner similar to other sites such as GoDaddy. When an order is placedÖnothing needs to be done.

Chris then uses his machine shop contacts to manufacture the parts per the customerís specs and, in his words, allows for "community driven designs and the ability to get specific parts made for their specific projects at very low cost."

Designs can be closed source or open source. An incognito service is also offered for those wishing to sell their designs on a more widespread basis. Chrisís own approach is just that since he sells multirotor frames to other well-known manufacturers. Speaking of open source, Armattan is now making all of its own model designs open source through this service.

Read that again. Armattan is making all of its designs open source with the motto, Armattan, designed by pilots for pilots.

Another motto: Do not take no for an answer.

That's evident in Armattan's team of freelance designers. For those who have an idea for a part but don't have the means or skills to design it on CAD, no problem. Chris tells me that his designers can "turn a scribble on a paper towel into a complete CAD design."

The implications of this are staggering. It allows ordinary folks access to high-volume manufacturing in Southeast Asia at a fraction of what it would normally cost to produce items in low quantities. It will allow hundreds if not thousands of designers all over the world to collaborate on designs. As previously mentioned, this is exactly the sort of open approach that gave us the personal computer.

Whatís more, it doesnít stop at just quadcopters. Do you have a new idea for a race car chassis? Submit the CAD drawings and Armattan does the rest.

Fellow hobbyists, we literally stand on the cusp of a revolution in the hobby industry, one where designers can work alone or in tandem to create outrageous new designs or to refine existing ones.

Time will tell whether or not this bold new approach will be mentioned in the same breath as the innovations mentioned at the beginning of this story, but this author will make an equally bold prediction to say that it will.

The site is up and running. Log on here.

More details are on their way, so check in often!

Last edited by DismayingObservation; Oct 02, 2015 at 08:46 AM..
Old Oct 07, 2015, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by gustavohsouza
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Feb 2014
94 Posts
I'm excited to see how this awesome project will look like in one year!
gustavohsouza is offline Find More Posts by gustavohsouza
Old Oct 07, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by slimdog
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
This is very brave. I have owned 3 different Armattans.

What happens when a new "designer" sends you cad files and you get it CNC'd and then send him the cut parts back and they dont fit together because the "designer" didn't have any knowledge of hole tolerance or basic design skills?
slimdog is offline Find More Posts by slimdog
Old Oct 07, 2015, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by bobepine
Joined Jun 2011
11,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdog View Post
This is very brave. I have owned 3 different Armattans.

What happens when a new "designer" sends you cad files and you get it CNC'd and then send him the cut parts back and they dont fit together because the "designer" didn't have any knowledge of hole tolerance or basic design skills?
Good question. I think that in most cases, designers who end up having a following will know what they are doing. I also think that the vast majority of guys will get a one off cut to test their work. There is no MOQ so one is free to literally go nuts prototyping just about anything before listing it in their store under the Armattan Production umbrella.

Will there be cases when designers upload files that won't line up? Oh yes. We've been operating for a while and it has already happened.

Bottom line is designers who get the parts cut, test them and then upload real images of the finished assembled product will earn credibility from doing so. Pictures can be added to your store, images, videos, links, etc. Those who are serious about making use of this platform will do well. There is no doubt there... We're making that very easy to achieve.

Post any questions you may have and I will come back with answers as often as I can.

Special thanks go out to Michel Morin who has been hard at work getting the website ready for launch, though, there is still much work to be done.

Also big thank you to our long time friend, Ralph, who wrote this article, for still being on board with us after a very long time.

As always, a big thank you to the whole gang here on RCG. No questions there, you guys are awesome.

Finally, a big thank you to all of you who we had the chance to work for along the way. Could not have dreamed of this without your continued support.

This is it... No more limitations. No more high R&D costs. No more ptototyping or sampling fees. No more. Just low cost, no MOQ, CF parts production with designers' support and nothing but the best carbon fiber we use on our own lifetime warrantied models. "Do NOT take NO for an answer."

For inquiries, please email support(at)armattanproductions(dot)com or post here for general inquiries.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Oct 07, 2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Oct 07, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by G-unit
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
5,614 Posts
Very COOL,
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Oct 07, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by Daxo
InnovationMatters
Croatia
Joined Dec 2014
676 Posts
This is truly revolutionary!
Daxo is offline Find More Posts by Daxo
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Daxo
InnovationMatters
Croatia
Joined Dec 2014
676 Posts
Not sure but think the registration form doesn't work

Click on 'Home' or ArmattanProduction logo doesn't lead to homepage yet to error 'Address not valid'.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by Mischief Managed
Team Armattan (Michel)
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2014
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxo View Post
Not sure but think the registration form doesn't work

Click on 'Home' or ArmattanProduction logo doesn't lead to homepage yet to error 'Address not valid'.
I've seen others register successfully since. What is it that isn't working? Any errors?

EDIT: I have tried hitting the Home button or the logo and it does bring me to the home page of the site. The register button is at the top which brings you to the register form
Mischief Managed is online now Find More Posts by Mischief Managed
Last edited by Mischief Managed; Oct 07, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by jjmelo
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2012
631 Posts
This is pretty sweet!
jjmelo is offline Find More Posts by jjmelo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by Daxo
InnovationMatters
Croatia
Joined Dec 2014
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
I've seen others register successfully since. What is it that isn't working? Any errors?
Hi Mischief, just figured it out. When I filled email input box and proceeded to next input field screen went white and a progress icon appeared(similar to normal form processing) and just stayed like that.

However I've realized I could still write info in other boxes despite the white screen. I've registered now, hope it helps
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Mischief Managed
Team Armattan (Michel)
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2014
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxo View Post
Hi Mischief, just figured it out. When I filled email input box and proceeded to next input field screen went white and a progress icon appeared(similar to normal form processing) and just stayed like that.

However I've realized I could still write info in other boxes despite the white screen. I've registered now, hope it helps
Thanks for the info and will make sure to keep an eye on it. The processing is a check to see if the email you entered is valid and hasn't been used yet. For me, I see the white screen you described when processing the email when I tab to next field but it's only there for a fraction of a second
Mischief Managed is online now Find More Posts by Mischief Managed
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Daxo
InnovationMatters
Croatia
Joined Dec 2014
676 Posts
Hm... same thing happened when I tried to create a kit in the store. Then I tried with Chrome browser. It works now, it's probably duo to my explorer or something.

Thx Michel
Old Oct 07, 2015, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Team Armattan
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Apr 2012
1,519 Posts
Yay! Now i have even more reason to get a 3d printer. I have a few frames and items in mind i would like to get carbon fiber produced
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Oct 07, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by tekyguy
Armattan dealer in the USA
United States, OH, North Ridgeville
Joined Jun 2014
1,615 Posts
This is a very exciting time!!! Well done Armattan!!
tekyguy is offline Find More Posts by tekyguy
Old Oct 07, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by jabu32
Who put that tree there?!?!
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Jan 2011
1,443 Posts
Do these still hold the same life time warranty?
jabu32 is offline Find More Posts by jabu32