HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Beautiful! And an unbelievably fast build.
Congrats on getting her out. Yep, the brig sails like a banshee. Really great fun.

Since no human can build thjis fast, I thought maybe you were an alien. But then I saw the reason for the fast build....you didn't finish the ratlines!!!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Sep 2013
24 Posts
haha yup i finished the stb main one and started on the stb fore ones but its alot of work. Hey did you have an issue with the course yard being pulled up at the end by the brace when its hard over?
ditchdoc is offline Find More Posts by ditchdoc
Old Dec 07, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc View Post
Hey did you have an issue with the course yard being pulled up at the end by the brace when its hard over?
From your pics, it looks like the main course braces run forward and sharply upward. My current rigging keeps the braces as horizontal as practical. That helps keep the yards level thru their full range of travel.
But a lot of little things help too. Epoxy the truss horizontal arm into the yard so it doesn't rotate, and run the truss vertical arm into a tube or double eyebolts on the mast to help lateral stability. Also, Syren lifts are balanced and do pull on the yard arms, helping again to keep the yards level.
The course yards also have slings that pull the yard upward (so that the longer trusses that Syren has don't droop). The slings "trolley" side-to-side, again help stabilize the yards horizontally. Biggest factors tho are probably keeping the brace travel as horizontal as you can AND adjusting the sails evenly. The sails themselves do a lot to keep the yards parallel to each other.
It took a lot of observation and trial and error to get everything working smoothly and to have it all adjustable for different sail deployments. Part of the fun.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Sep 2013
24 Posts
Thanks Dan the braces that turn sharply upward are for the topsail. I'm planning on moving those up to leave the main mast above the main top. I'm also thinking about bracing the gallant yards. Piggybacking them from the top braces along the mast.
ditchdoc is offline Find More Posts by ditchdoc
Old Dec 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc View Post
..... thinking about bracing the gallant yards. Piggybacking them from the top braces along the mast.
The t'gallant yards are pretty much shorter than the topyards, so the "pull length" of the t'gallant braces will be shorter. May work with the piggyback, it may not. Might require some bungee to allow some stretch in t'gallant braces if the topsail braces pull them to much.

Best,
Dan