HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:40 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Another new pilot thanks to Dandy/Dandy Sport

My almost-13-year-old son (and child #4) has been indifferent to my airplanes for most of his life, preferring video games and books and other things, though he did solo on a Push-E-Cat sometime ago (then never asked to fly it again).

Recently, however, he's become interested again, and he got some stick time on my Dandy while we were in Albuquerque last month. (no buddy box, too )

Then, he went with me to Chilliwack BC this past weekend. He'd been asking to try the Carbon Falcon before I sold it off (it doesn't do anything for me, really, as it turns out) so Saturday evening I got it out and flew it a bit and we did have fun with the low-speed end of that thing's flight envelope until the motor croaked (IPS/EDF E-ratio hybrid).

So, more time on the Dandy.

Then, Sunday, it looked as if he was really getting the hang of it (and he kept asking to fly) and soon I was able to talk him through a landing. And, of course, next is to nail it and go back up. Now he's getting really into it and wanting to do loops (easy - just firewall it and hang on). Then more landings and takeoffs.

Finally, a couple of hours before we left Chilliwack yesterday, I let him try the Sport. At first he found the way the ailerons responded off putting, but by the time we'd run that battery down most of the way (ETec 1200s - 40 minutes of air time) he'd done a couple of landings, a takeoff or two, some loops and even some rolls and only managed to scare me badly once.

So, suddenly he's gone from indifferent to wanting one of his own - and he has a birthday coming up. I think a Dandy Sport kit may well be here for him......

A great flying, responsive, but very honest airplane sure helps. Much more fun than the CF or the PEC. Thanks, Doug. Look for another order soon.

By the way, I had bunches of questions about the DS just about every time I flew it, and, with Glowire inside the wing and on the fuselage it makes a great night flyer, too.

Oh, I got about 30 touch and goes in on that last charge of the meet, too, and have finally gotten to where I can make a rolling T&G without a ground loop, and even real pretty three-pointers (though it's still much easier to do that with the Switchback). I like this little thing.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Aug 25, 2003 at 10:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:01 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,490 Posts
You have impressed me that you can do a touch and go without groundlooping the Dandy. Good and interesting report. The sb is easier on takeoffs and landing.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:31 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
On a smooth surface I think it would be well-nigh impossible to do one without groundlooping unless you simply just touched at flying speed and went off again. The newer version with the wing 1 inch closer to the gear may be easier.

We were on short dry grass (see the Postcards from Chilliwack thread in Open for a couple of aerial shots of the site as it was this weekend).
Old Aug 26, 2003, 09:57 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
Bernard,

Great to hear your son took an interest. I'm still waiting for my kids to come around.

As soon as they arrive, the Dandys will have Sullivan tail wheels.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:54 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Well, he's the first of the five kids to have come this far. His older brother, now 24, never soloed, and his two older sisters only have done a little buddy box time. In fact, considering how he hasn't been interested in the Push-E-Cat since his one solo flight on it nearly two years ago now, I'm actually rather surprised, though for once it's a pleasant surprise .

Sullivan tail wheels?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:54 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Sullivan wheels with the aluminum hub look good!
That's what I used on my DS.

Bil

wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Last edited by wherndon; Aug 26, 2003 at 01:03 PM.