New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2014, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by crmodels
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
589 Posts
Last demo of my 2014 show season.
19 flights in total since the maiden and loving the 429 more and more with each flight!

Having fun with my Bell 429 Super Scale (3 min 6 sec)
crmodels is offline Find More Posts by crmodels
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Borneoben
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,119 Posts
How is that Phoenix Tech motor working out for you?

I'm curious as it very cheap.
Borneoben is offline Find More Posts by Borneoben
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:37 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
589 Posts
I don't know if it would hold up to the abuse in a 3D machine but Ive flown that motor all last season in my AS350 and all this season in my Bell 429 Super Scales.

Plenty of power and have held up well with zero issues.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Borneoben
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the fast response

The other motor i am considering for my HH-60 Jayhawk is this Tuyrnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 4962-500kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Gets really good reviews

Paired with this YEP 120HV esc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

That would make a very economical power system.

How would the MKS DS 1210's hold up in the HH-60 do you think?
Borneoben is offline Find More Posts by Borneoben
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:10 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
589 Posts
The 1210's are ok but I would go with some MKS HBL 950's or Torq servos.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,493 Posts
It's been a long time since anyone posted here. I bought a kit at a very reasonable price and put nit away to do a build next winter, Australian winter that is. Anyway I ended up having to recoup after a knee operation so I pulled the Bell out of the box and started the build.

A couple of minor easily fixed problems to start with. The holes drilled in the landing gear for the rear fixing were 10mm out. IMHO the balls for the links installed in swash plate for the pitch and Aileron servos and their L levers from the servos were installed the wrong way. The long offset balls were installed in the swash plate and the short ones were installed in the L levers. In order to get a better geometry for the links they should be the other way around. It does mean the elevator lever will be different because it has the long ball but this can be adjusted with endpoints when setting up the swash plate level for movement top to bottom.

I am still looking for a motor. I like Align motors but the recommended one is just not available in Oz. I am looking for a Scorpion alternative but there are a number of factors which have to be matched such as kv, power and size. Looking at where the motor sits it appears there is not much room before the motor could foul the rearward part of the frame.

I am using a Talon 120 amp ESC. It has a good sized BEC. I will also be using a Bavarian Devil 3SX flybar controller with twin DSMX satellites. I have used this FB controller on all my helis and have found them very reliable. I am using Align 620 servos. I have used Align exclusively on all my helis and on my larger planes and never had a problem.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Last edited by Watdazit; Jan 21, 2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,756 Posts
Why not start a new thread about your build rather than as an addendum to someone else's thread? Lots of pictures now, especially if there are some mods and improvements to be done. As to the motor, I am sure that one of the Scorpion 4035 series will do the job as the recommended motor matches those motors for power output, voltage, and it is a matter of choosing the right kv, that's all. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,493 Posts
I will not start a new thread as I think it fragments the information. I will however try to post some photos as I go. I ordered a Scorpion HIII 4035 500kv motor yesterday. I went for the 500kv as it may give me an opportunity to use 10S. I will use 12S initially. I want to try and keep the head speed down for scale flying so I think a lot of pitch and motor power will be required. This my first attempt at scale so experimentation will be the call of the day. I will have to put extra capacitors between the batteries and the ESC as the power leads will be very long.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-cap-pack.html

I found all the bolts associated with the mechanics had been loctited but none of the frame bolts had. The mechanicals are really important, the frame ones not so but I like to loctite everything. I do not know what loctite was used by the builders but to get the balls off the swash plate and arms I had to apply heat. I applied heat in these instances using a soldering iron as I did not want to burn other things.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,756 Posts
Fair enough. Your call.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old May 01, 2016, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by curtsmyser
Joined Oct 2015
14 Posts

So where can I see the pictures
curtsmyser is offline Find More Posts by curtsmyser
Old May 01, 2016, 04:45 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsmyser View Post
So where can I see the pictures
Sorry that image host got hacked and all my pics were removed.

You can read my full build and review here with pics!

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...4005812&type=3